PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mixed emotions after today's game
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mixed emotions after today's game  (Read 4227 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

If I'd have been offered the option of taking a draw before the game, I'd have accepted it.

We didn't create many chances today but, for a welcome change, we put them away.

At 2-0 up, things looked good for a possible three points but the substitution of King seemed to disrupt our shape (was he injured?).

Another defensive calamity gifts York a goal and then we fall back into that annoying habit of conceding another goal almost immediately.

From that point on, there was only one team likely to win the match....and it wasn't us!

In truth, York missed a couple of great chances in the last 20 minutes, so we could easily have ended up with nothing to show for our efforts, which would have been devastating after holding a two goal advantage.

A big improvement on the Boxing Day fiasco.
At times, especially going forward with pace, York City looked full of confidence and as good as any side I have seen at Moss Lane this season.   

However, seeing Kidderminster's injury time winner against Farsley pop up on Sky Sports did rather raise the spirits!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:26:59 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

seasonticket

Re: Mixed emotions after today's game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »

Could not agree more. Two nil up and I could not believe it against a side as good as York. Probably the best side we have seen at Moss Lane this season.
After getting over losing that 2 nil lead I can't think when I last saw a match as good as that.
Both teams deserve great credit for the manner in which the game was played, both sides playing good open football. Even the ref had nowt to do so he had to get a card out for nothing to prove he was there.
Fantastic game not been this happy after a game we did not win for years maybe for ever.
Well done to ALL the lads, GH and GB and to York for their part in the entertainment.

joe

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »

Got to agree. Having been very disappointed at thowing away a two goal lead its still a very good point against what i thought was a very good York side who are now unbeaten in eleven games i think. Also i agree that the turning point was when we took King off. Anyone else think that Coburn seems to be really struggling with low shots?  Maybe that back injury at the end of last season is still hampering him.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »

Joe, as John Laidlar says and I saw, it was the hsitation coming off the line that cost us the first goal. The second seemed to go under him. If Accy is fit I would give him a run.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »

Some comments :-

I would have accepted a point before the game and would do so again for the home game against Torquay

There has been a big improvement. The management and directors should be congratulated on how they are trying to improve things. The towel has not been thrown in.

How does Jennings win so many headers (is he Lewis in disguise) for a lad of medium height ?

Funny hearing the liitle kids in the family stand chanting "oops- she fell over"

Sodje was 'taken' out the game today by Young and Jennings.

York are a top six side in my opinion - disappointing as it was to conced twice in 2 mins - it was a point gained
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »

Yes defo a point gained against a fast, powerfull good side. Gutted to be 2 in front and only get a point but hey a point is a point.

Special mention for Peyton who did a great job on Panther, first half especially.

Really hope that Cahill is okay for Sat as he holds the ball up better than anyone else. The only gripe I've got is why bring King off when we were containing them so well?
Full time and proud of it

bunny16

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »

hiya just would like to make a post (yes im a york fan) firstly i was at the game earlier in the season at your place,and the team we played today was far superior to the one we played then,all credit to your manager who seems to have added some useful players to your squad i was happy to see that cahill chap go off early as it was clear he was going to be a handful.back to the game in the fist half you seemed very up for it closing down and winning second balls and deserved to be in the lead. our problem is we tend not to start playing until we have given or gifted a goal away, anyway second half we pressed a lot harder and eventually got back on level terms and could have won it, unfortunately the energy that your players had used in the first half cost you as you seemed to run out of steam towards the end,anyway good game and i wish you well,hope you dont go down as i like the trip to alty ps just one moan there was no light in the gents toilet  :) cya

joe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

Joe, as John Laidlar says and I saw, it was the hsitation coming off the line that cost us the first goal. The second seemed to go under him. If Accy is fit I would give him a run.
I was also at the game today and wasn't refering to the first goal but more the second and several others we have conceded in a similar fashion this season that Coburn would have got down faster to in previous seasons. Not having a go at Coburn because the guy has won us many points in the seasons he has been with us but i just think that back injury looks to have taken a little bit out of him.

alty86

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

do we give accy a run then? i say yes. coburn's a leg-end but a player (especially a keeper) cant really keep their place on reputation and accy has been a more than able deputy over the years...give him a go?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »

I thought Colin was brilliant today coming off the bench. Bagged 2 goals and played well, even centre half at the end.

Well done Colin, well done team ;D

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »

do we give accy a run then? i say yes. coburn's a leg-end but a player (especially a keeper) cant really keep their place on reputation and accy has been a more than able deputy over the years...give him a go?

He's not been seen all year.
Full time and proud of it

Jenga

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

I am happy with a draw and whilst we gave away a two goal lead it was mainly down to stamna in my opinion.

I do think the subsititution has alot to do with the result, however, we had a new defender who needs to get into games and two nil up with York pressing what an ideal time to bring on a fresh legged defender to cope with Yorks pace.

So I dont think Graham made a bad substitution as some of our fams where raving about, but unfortunately it didnt work out for us.

Tell you what though, it is nice to come on hear and comment that we should have won against a good York side who havent lost for 11 games rather than come on here and comment on a 5-0 drubbing.

Well done team, you deserved the point today.

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »

I'd probably make a good Newcastle United fan. I'm happy to see us get the draw (ok happy isn't quite the word) despite chucking away a lead because of the way the team played. There's some real ability and grit in that team now. Until he went off Cahill was holding the ball up brilliantly and Jennings and Shotton are so cool and collected, and battlers. There was one fabulous piece of football in the second half where Robbie slid towards the touchline and hooked the ball back to James Jennings who played a super ball forward. We might be getting a bit spoiled. After four straight league defeats against York , we've drawn them home and away this season. That's a vast improvement.

matnvfcmad

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »

werent you 2-0 up then batts came on  ;D

Ian Harwood (Hale Alty)

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »

That's very true. If I had to ask the management one question it would be about the tactics of the substitutions. When we limited the attacking options all that it meant was a siege at the other end.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team