Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..  (Read 8015 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 09:26:38 AM »

but in truth don't you think most armchair supporters of football (those that have only ever seen it on tv) are probably more interested in the premiership for a start and for setanta to make it worth there while to show the confrence (which is better off for it - how else would we be guarenteed 7k a season) they have to show teams that these peopl have heard of so that they actually tune in. and im sure that the top 4 or 5 teams in this division play a lot better football than we do. just like either united, arsenal and chelski are shown on sky more over the season than the likes of derby,wigan and  Birmingham, it's all about ratings and unfortunatly we don't capture the attention of the armchair supporter like an oxford or torquay do (plus for there part of showing small clubs they show histon as the lil club that could)

Wise words from The Duke there!!!

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »

Understand what you are saying Duke, but its not the way the conference should be going, football needs to be made as fair as possible to try and stop money ruining it at this level. How anyone can justify a TV deal where the rich clubs get richer is beyond me, it is just plain immoral to the good of the game. In an ideal world the conference bosses should only allow a deal that benefits each club equally regardless of who is most popular and shown the most on TV. The smaller clubs especially the part time ones have a mountain to clime alreadywithout Setanta making the gap bigger.

Alex

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »

i am not trying to justify the deal i was just saying why it is at it is. the unfortunate truth is that in this world nothing is fair and money goes to money

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:59 AM »

i am not trying to justify the deal i was just saying why it is at it is. the unfortunate truth is that in this world nothing is fair and money goes to money
Yeah agree nothing is fair and wasn’t pointing at you directly, more at the conference bosses. Non league to me is about the way football should be played with a certain honesty, dignity and old fashioned ethos. This is slowly being ripped away by the corruption that money and TV deals brings..

Alex

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »

agreed non league is football as it should be, cheap games (except oxford), terracing (except oxford), friendly atmosphere (except oxford), and players playing for the love of the game rather than big money deals. however it must be nice for those living in exile to have a chance to see highlights of alty games on a weekly basis.

baldrick

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 10:48:27 AM »

Ballers.......If the appearance money is £5,000 my point is teams like Oxford, Torquay, Exeter etc will receive this £5,000 about five times each because they are shown a lot more often than Altrincham. So giving Altrincham £5,000 and giving the bigger clubs £25,000 does not help Altrincham. It just widens the gap between rich and poor. I know some fans who live too far away will appreciate the chance to see the team on television but why must it be on a Thursday night? Whenever possible games should be played at 3pm on Saturday. No game should ever be moved just because a television company demand it.

markecky

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »

In this debate it is worth noting that the Conference TV deal is one of the fairer ones in football.

At the Conference AGM (or another meeting) it was agreed that the money recieved for appearing on the TV should be reduced to each club per game and a larger amount paid into the pool.  This is then split evenly over the 24 clubs at the end of the season.  Naturally it was the smaller clubs that wanted this!

baldrick

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

A lot of premier league clubs sign players on contracts they can't afford without television money. This makes the clubs dependent on Sky which is why they allow fixtures to be played whenever Sky want them. Setanta want to do the same thing with the BSP. Kick them out now before they do serious damage.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »

A lot of premier league clubs sign players on contracts they can't afford without television money. This makes the clubs dependent on Sky which is why they allow fixtures to be played whenever Sky want them. Setanta want to do the same thing with the BSP. Kick them out now before they do serious damage.

So we 'kick them out' for acting (no doubt) within the terms of the contract that was agreed with the clubs last year? On what basis?
Setanta's involvement might not be ideal for any number of reasons, but like it or not, this is the reality of football now.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

baldrick

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »

On the basis that we will soon see the end of the traditional 3pm Saturday kick off and they will create a small group of superpowers while the majority of clubs survive on scraps thrown to them by the great Setanta.

Alex

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

but if we are never on setanta we can still kick off at 3pm no problem

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »

Football on TV is a commercial enterprise and as such nobody should be surprised that a TV company will want to show what they consider the bigger games. They are not a charity. What do you propose? A communist style TV setup? It will not work in a commercial climate.

Now whether you want the cameras there in the first place or not is another matter. I do not think that Setanta are really going to make that much difference to the gulf that already exists between part-time clubs like ourselves and the big boys like Oxford and Torquay. £5000 is going to be of far more value to us than £20000 would be to Oxford anyway....it's all relative. We are going to lose VERY few supporters through the gates on a matchday as the result of a televised game (and certainly nowhere near five grands worth).

If you want to rail at anyone, you should be directing your views towards the governing bodies of football and NOT the TV companies for it is they that have agreed to current contracts as they stand
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »

In all fairness, to the untrained eye the Alty v Woking fixture looks about as attractive as Margaret Beckett with toothache.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »

In all fairness, to the untrained eye the Alty v Woking fixture looks about as attractive as Margaret Beckett with toothache.

You won't feel that way after the game when we've won it and moved further away from the bottom four - and nearer the Weymouth (and Woking)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »

You won't feel that way after the game when we've won it and moved further away from the bottom four - and nearer the Weymouth (and Woking)

I don't feel like that at all. I'm really looking forward to it. Like I said, "to the untrained eye" it is not an attractive fixture.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..