News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I'm loving it.

Author Topic: I'm loving it.  (Read 1928 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
I'm loving it.
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »

From where I'm stood, what a great week!

Out of the bottom four at last, a very good appointment as assistant manager, Heathcote's future confirmed, and the pitch held up well on Tuesday night in a severe test.

My analysis of the season so far:

1st 10, we struggled and were always likely to, with a lot of new players, and changing division at the AGM.

Next 8, we did well enough to look like staying up.

Then a poor run of 5 league games as the restrictions of the transfer window started to bite.

Now with money in the bank and new players in the transfer window allowing us to catch up where we fell behind in the summer, I fully expect us to continue our recent form and stay up fairly comfortably.

So far, since we got back, we have been playing with one arm tied behind our back as we get out of debt, plus we have had AGM nonsense the last couple of seasons. When we see the real Alty next season I think we can push towards mid-table at leat.

As for crowds, full-time/part-time etc.: the fact is, we did average nearly 2000 the first time we won the Conference, and 5000 was "not unusual" in the late 1960's (when City and Utd were successful incidentally). In 1990/1, we averaged over 2000 from January when we looked like going up. And we have a higher base support than then.

Well, Shotton is effectively full-time, if we get a few more like him next season, I think we can challenge. As for people living within their means, I think it will be more than just Conference chairmen who have to learn to live within their means over the next few years. I'm afraid football crowds have probably reached their peak and will probably not be so high in the foreseeable future. I would expect some teams to return to part time, although there's a few big clubs below the Conference.

As for Graham Heathcote, his position should never have been in question, he has made us the best fully part time team in England whilst struggling with debt etc. and there's no reason why he should not make us even better from now on. I think personally that we should follow Crewe's example sooner than Newcastle United's.

AltyG

Re: I'm loving it.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »

Well done Hugh.  Positive thoughts at last.  I agree with your comments.
Onwards and upwards.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »

From where I'm stood, what a great week!

Out of the bottom four at last, a very good appointment as assistant manager, Heathcote's future confirmed, and the pitch held up well on Tuesday night in a severe test.

My analysis of the season so far:

1st 10, we struggled and were always likely to, with a lot of new players, and changing division at the AGM.

Next 8, we did well enough to look like staying up.

Then a poor run of 5 league games as the restrictions of the transfer window started to bite.

Now with money in the bank and new players in the transfer window allowing us to catch up where we fell behind in the summer, I fully expect us to continue our recent form and stay up fairly comfortably.

So far, since we got back, we have been playing with one arm tied behind our back as we get out of debt, plus we have had AGM nonsense the last couple of seasons. When we see the real Alty next season I think we can push towards mid-table at leat.

As for crowds, full-time/part-time etc.: the fact is, we did average nearly 2000 the first time we won the Conference, and 5000 was "not unusual" in the late 1960's (when City and Utd were successful incidentally). In 1990/1, we averaged over 2000 from January when we looked like going up. And we have a higher base support than then.

Well, Shotton is effectively full-time, if we get a few more like him next season, I think we can challenge. As for people living within their means, I think it will be more than just Conference chairmen who have to learn to live within their means over the next few years. I'm afraid football crowds have probably reached their peak and will probably not be so high in the foreseeable future. I would expect some teams to return to part time, although there's a few big clubs below the Conference.

As for Graham Heathcote, his position should never have been in question, he has made us the best fully part time team in England whilst struggling with debt etc. and there's no reason why he should not make us even better from now on. I think personally that we should follow Crewe's example sooner than Newcastle United's.

Excellent post Hugh......well done!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »

Excellent post. Interest thing about the comparative attendances over the decades. There are 2 main differences:
1) We now have a much higher profile top division &, with Sky & Detanta, peoples football fix is off the telly.
2) Demographics: there are less Alty people in Altrincham. A larger part of the population is from outside (None of that Northwich/Macc inbreeding here)

Another difference over the years is that chairmen used to be a lot more loyal to their managers. There were a lot fewer sackings in the old days. I am glad we have gone back to old ways!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I'm loving it.