PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1000 more supporters for each game
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 1000 more supporters for each game  (Read 8518 times)

Railway Alty

Re: 1000 more supporters for each game
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »

It has been asked on this thread "why was GH's petulant behaviour not dealt with at this meeting"? Well who says it wasnt "dealt with" in any buisness a good manager/chairman deals with this sort of behaviour in private. So who says that he  hasnt been spoken to about his behaviour?

Alty365

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »

It has been asked on this thread "why was GH's petulant behaviour not dealt with at this meeting"? Well who says it wasnt "dealt with" in any buisness a good manager/chairman deals with this sort of behaviour in private. So who says that he  hasnt been spoken to about his behaviour?

I feel quite confident that he was not reprimanded in any way for his behaviour.

Altyant

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »

This idea of having some but not all full timers sounds a bit suspect to me. From a fitness point of view of course it would benefit the full timers,  but what about working on set pieces, formations etc  - surely all of the squad need to be in the session to understand what the fook is going on ? Also would it not create a bit of a 'us' and 'them' mentality within the squad ?

Im just curious as to how it works at the moment. Shotton, King, Cahill and Jennings will all certainly be full time - Im not sure about Toulson & Young. What happens in terms of the training - do they train just once/twice a week with the rest of the squad or are they left to complete fitness work/training elsewhere?

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »

This idea of having some but not all full timers sounds a bit suspect to me. From a fitness point of view of course it would benefit the full timers,  but what about working on set pieces, formations etc  - surely all of the squad need to be in the session to understand what the fook is going on ? Also would it not create a bit of a 'us' and 'them' mentality within the squad ?

Im just curious as to how it works at the moment. Shotton, King, Cahill and Jennings will all certainly be full time - Im not sure about Toulson & Young. What happens in terms of the training - do they train just once/twice a week with the rest of the squad or are they left to complete fitness work/training elsewhere?
I know Shotten goes back to Stoke to train don't know about the others.
@AltyDaz

Hodgey

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »

With 8 days left until the York game i can  confirm I already have 3 more people going the match that normally wouldnt. Im on my own personal crusade to see if I can get to double figures.

*BAFTA (Bring A Fan To Alty )

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »

I can see a pig flying over Moss Lane.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altyant

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:57 AM »

Thanks Darren

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 05:48:56 AM »

Its very hard to get the gates up,Even in th elate 60s and throught to the 80s we would get about 1800 fans though it always seemed fuller,trouble is no one can see further than those clowns that play in Red the other side of the Mersey,and want to jump on their bandwagon.Support Alty first then if Alty's no game go and watch the other's.Thats what i used to do,Maine Road was my prefered choice though.
Good luck to the 2 Grahams get behind them and lets start closing on Weymouth.
Harold

Narcissist

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 08:01:15 AM »

I would rather be a well off part-time team than a poor full-time. Full-time does not guarantee you stay in the conf and its not going to attract players that much better than what we have.

Loan players seem to be the way forward along with developing our youth set up to the highest level possible. I firmly believe that in 5 or 6 years there will be 9 or 10 part-time teams in this league again as the football bubble bursts.

As for GH's behaviour. It clearly wasnt discussed in this meeting if it was before the kiddy match. I do think the arrival of GB will have an effect on him though. It will hopefully take some pressure off and with it some stress.

Lets look forward now

Jezza

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »

While I welcome Graham Barrow and approve wholeheartedly of his appointment as part of our progression I've always thought Graham Heathcote was considered the best coach at this this level as well as a manager with contacts and the ability to attract players to Alty so I often wonder why he can't do the job on his own as he is full time after all.

For us to compete we have to put in at least a mix of full time players...possibly failed apprentices from city Stockport etc or as seems to be the case a few long term loans from league clubs.....while this is risky re team moral the gamble pay off should be worth it.

And does any self respecting Alty fan not think we are going to have to put up with the occasional stamping of the feet and hissy fit from the 'cote for many years to come? I think we're gonna have to live with it...at least it gives VOD a good meal every 2-3 months.

In some ways i agree with Mr Goodwin in that if we do go down the 'cote would be the man to take us back up.....however we have to continue at least competing at this BSP level (now w've started to compete this season) as ironically if he keeps us up but shows no progress or chink of light that we will kick on to the next level then we should look around for someone who can take us forward.

Ironic then in my opinion that if the manager takes us down he should stay, if he keeps us up but only just then he should stand aside....obviously if we show signs at last of comfortable mid table safety for next year he should stay.

The future looks brighter now though than it did at half time on Boxing day when I walked out having witnessed us hoof the ball, not pass more than two passes (if that) together and get totally outclassed by bottom of the league Vics.

As far as gates go, in this recent form of diabolical football we'd average down to 7/800....competing only just as we seem to have turned the corner, I think we'd attact an average closer to 1000, competing with ease I'd expect average 1,300.... We'd never average much more unless we were top of the league and we'd once again witness a sell out a la Barnet I'm sure (but will we ever reach such dizzy heights again?)

Narcissist

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »

They weren't dizzy heights when we reached them. Now they are.

We dont get 2000 or more a week and probably never will. Even when you get that you need to have potential for even more again. We cant do that so we cant deserve to go full-time. Whats wrong with being the best part-time side in the country, its always been our goal before?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »

I think that the problem is that GH's tantrums are very public.

Therefore, the Board of Directors really should issue a public statement regarding this recurrent issue.

Otherwise, by remaining silent, they give the impression that they condone such behaviour. 
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »

Whats wrong with being the best part-time side in the country, its always been our goal before?

If that is to be our sole aim we'll have to forget any ideas about staying in this division on a long term basis. It simply doesn't appear to be viable to prosper in this league as a 100% part time club and if we do stay up and remain part time next season it will only get worse. Given that the two top sides in BS North are full time (not sure about BS South) they will almost certainly be replacing part time sides. That means the "mini league" of 5 is immediately reduced to 3, 4 if you include Histon. If our aim of topping the mini league remains the same next season where does that leave us? Where is the incentive for fans to come along and rally to the cause? "Buy your season tickets early ladies and gentlemen, help cheer the lads on to 4th bottom and certain relegation". Maybe full time is not possible, but we need to find some sort of compromise to get a foothold in this league. Otherwise, what is the point? I cannot over-emphasise how much people aren't interested in watching us play at home to Solihull Moors on a Saturday afternoon. It's absolutely rubbish to watch.

Narcissist

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

I meant that we would still be in the BSP and be part-time.

We have to face the fact that it may be a few years before we're in a position to compete in this league. If the league becomes 21 pro clubs, most of which living in someones bank balance it wont last forever. Plus I think in 5 years time we have the potential to have an amazing youth set-up.

It would be great to have an alternative, the only things i can think of will plunge us into debt.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »

I would rather be a well off part-time team than a poor full-time.

You could hardly class us as a well-off part-time team though. Certainly, considering how close we came to extinction, we should be greatful for our current financial state, but the coffers are hardly overflowing.

There are far too many clubs in this league living beyond their means. In my view this is unsustainable over a number of years and I can't see how it can continue given some of the meagre attendances that some of these clubs attract.

I think we'd all like to see some sort of plan in place for us to go forward and actually compete in this league, but not at the expense of financial security. Bit of a catch 22 situation really as I don't think we'll ever see crowds like those we received in the first couple of years of the APL without us actually challenging for the title and we are currently unable to compete at that sort of level due to the full-time nature of the league.

It's all too easy for us to sit at our keyboards and blather on about what should or should not be done (and I'm as guilty as anybody of that), but it is an incredibly complex problem. I feel, given the current composition of the league, that we are a BSN team attempting to compete in the BSP and as such we are going to struggle each year. My hope is that other teams start to realise the folly of living beyond their means and then we can start to compete again on a more level playing field as they revert to a part-time setup. There are obviously always going to be a few of the bigger teams who will remain full-time, but I fail to see how many of the other clubs can continue to do so.

I fail to see how we could even contemplate going full-time as things stand.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1000 more supporters for each game