PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for pre-internet fans ....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question for pre-internet fans ....  (Read 5978 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question for pre-internet fans ....
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »

Also, isn't it weird how there doesn't seem to be any more of that moving between Alty, Vics, Macc and Runcorn. Players used to rack 2 out of 4 up but it just does not seem to occur anymore. Ok Macc are on loan to the football league and runcorn have gone but the days of moving to your rivals have gone a la Eddie Bishop, Mike Farrelly, Nigel Shaw.

Whilst we do have a couple of ex Vics, Macc players (Tinson, Munroe, Owen, Sedgemore, Little) it just doesn't seem to happen the straightforward moves, last one would've been Terry/Talbot/Greygoose.

For example, re the Farrelly+Ellis for Mountford switch. Imagine hearing tomorrow that we'd signed Michael Carr in return for Chris Senior and Warren Peyton.

Seems bizarre now.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »

I remember back in the early/mid 60's the MEN used to print the teams out for all the local teams, including the non-league ones, in Friday's edition and it took an awful long time, and an explanation from my old fella I guess, for me to figure out who "A N Other" was as we seemed to have two or three of them playing every week!!!!!!! This was especially evident in the Freddie Pye days when we signed just about anyone who looked half decent.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »

I remember back in the early/mid 60's the MEN used to print the teams out for all the local teams, including the non-league ones, in Friday's edition and it took an awful long time, and an explanation from my old fella I guess, for me to figure out who "A N Other" was as we seemed to have two or three of them playing every week!!!!!!! This was especially evident in the Freddie Pye days when we signed just about anyone who looked half decent.

Its like the "A Triallist" chap who seems to pop up on Soccer Saturday scoring for a few lowly Scottish clubs sometimes.

I would be lost without t'internet, especially being able to go to so few games
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:42:33 PM by Jennifers Dad »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »

Ah good old Freddie Pie,i remember him throwing a bucket of water over Macc forward Brian Fiddler
Harold

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:58 AM »

I really do miss not being able to get to the matches,seeing Alty players coming out of the Vics club before the games we used to have against them in the Cheshire league,and staggering through the game and i dont mean Jackie Swindells

Are you referring to Johnny Worth, by any chance?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »

yes how did you guess?Cult
Harold

Dougals Dad

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »

Its like the "A Triallist" chap who seems to pop up on Soccer Saturday scoring for a few lowly Scottish clubs sometimes.

I would be lost without t'internet, especially being able to go to so few games

He's scored for Cowdenbeath!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »

yes how did you guess?Cult

I have heard this story before from another source.

Quite a character, Johnny Worth!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »

I still remember my only visit to Great Harwood in 77-78 when the only question about the starting eleven was Crossley or Brooke and seeing two0 unknowns on the pitch - larry garrity played his best game at Runcorn in the Trophy semi final second leg at Runcorn, although I loved his two goals off the bench for a 2-2 wth vics at moss lane.  I didn't appreciate his hat trick for Vics the following season in the 5-1 CSC SF 2nd replay defeat again at canal street.  Graham tobin, the other debutant came off the bench against Spurs at Maine Road.  And I was proud to pull on the number 12 shirt for Alty Supporters in our 12-4 win at Southport when those shorts were handed down to us - George Heslop was left back and neil thomason the coach of the supporters club team back then.

Also, Phil densmore running out at Chorley in FAC R1 in 84-85 and no-one had a clue who he was - now there was a left back discovered from nowhere (Ford motors - not even Vauxhall Motors!!)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »

I still remember my only visit to Great Harwood in 77-78 when the only question about the starting eleven was Crossley or Brooke and seeing two0 unknowns on the pitch - larry garrity played his best game at Runcorn in the Trophy semi final second leg at Runcorn, although I loved his two goals off the bench for a 2-2 wth vics at moss lane.  I didn't appreciate his hat trick for Vics the following season in the 5-1 CSC SF 2nd replay defeat again at canal street.  Graham tobin, the other debutant came off the bench against Spurs at Maine Road.  And I was proud to pull on the number 12 shirt for Alty Supporters in our 12-4 win at Southport when those shorts were handed down to us - George Heslop was left back and neil thomason the coach of the supporters club team back then.

Also, Phil densmore running out at Chorley in FAC R1 in 84-85 and no-one had a clue who he was - now there was a left back discovered from nowhere (Ford motors - not even Vauxhall Motors!!)

Bloody hell!

We've had a class left full back at the club all this time and not selected him.
Disgraceful.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

Cult,  Are you sure?  I think he has played a couple of games, or else left back for the day has tried to imitiate the great man

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

Cult,  Are you sure?  I think he has played a couple of games, or else left back for the day has tried to imitiate the great man

No, George Heslop was still quicker than Andy Scott.....and that moustache would certainly intimidate opposing wingers....

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

I was lucky from 79 i worked at the Bowdon Hotel and was privvy to all comings and goings as the then sec Dave Baldwin's office was next to ours, in fact i inherited his office when it all changed. it was fantastic to be in the hub of things and i met alot of players before they had made the deal to join. add to that pre match breakfasts and listening in to team talks i was a lucky young man
oh happy days

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »

Best ever transfer swap deal: Mickey Moore to Wigan in exchange for John Rogers!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »

Not uncle Noel's transport cafe as we called it?
Harold
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for pre-internet fans ....