PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for pre-internet fans ....
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Question for pre-internet fans ....  (Read 5977 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« on: January 04, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »

What do you prefer... Knowing who Alty have signed as it happens or when you used to get to the game and think "WOW, how we got him" ??

I prefer the turning up and being bemused that we have signed players. Imagine just turning up on New Years Day to all those new players !!

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question for pre-internet fans ....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »

Dunno about you Gary, but I used to think "who the $%*! is that" on a regular basis.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »

i enjoyed turning up going who the f is that then finding out something about him from a someone who overheard someone say something to someone about the player, but i do prefer to know who we have signed and what sort of quality they are before i turn up for the game.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »

Its like the start to a season when you see them warming up and thinking who's who till they run out for k.o and see there name and number on there shirts. :D
@AltyDaz

Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »

Its like the start to a season when you see them warming up and thinking who's who till they run out for k.o and see there name and number on there shirts. :D

it's like that in pre season anyways for example this year at Marine we had to ask val owen who was the lad playing on the left for us? to which val replied "not a clue, he just showed up with his boots".

markecky

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

it's like that in pre season anyways for example this year at Marine we had to ask val owen who was the lad playing on the left for us? to which val replied "not a clue, he just showed up with his boots".

That was me!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »

The left back from Skem?

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »

I agree with Gaz, much more exciting on the day when you saw an unfamilair face warming up and starting

The Teasing Squad

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »

Its bizarre how we take things for granted these days. This is a cool thread for a change. I seem to remember knowing stuff.

I remember that i used to wait for the messenger to come through the door, desperate for any news. The MEN used to come up with snippets as well. I think that signings were more sporadic in those days cos of the transfer window not being there. The difference was not knowing that much about the players or if they'd been any good in the eyes of other clubs fans. There seems to be so many more players knocking around these days too, does anyone else think that?

Obviously there was a few suprises as well. This leads to the question of WTF did poor john Laidlar do with his spare time before the internet?

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »

Lol, good shout. It used to be a case years ago of the same faces popping up at almost every top flight non league in the NW, sometimes for more than one spell aswell. I bumped into old boy Paul Rowlands a few months ago and we had a brief discussion on this subject. I believe he is now Assistant Manager or Coach at Rhyl.

The Teasing Squad

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »

Chin tickling of players was easy in those days, I seem to remember the 'Alty reject' chant getting a go almost every week, even the odd southern club had an alty reject. You'd play Witton or Vics and there would be 5 or 6 alty rejects on the pitch.

I admire Dean Greygoose so much for actually signing for alty after all the abuse he got from us. His first jog down to the golf road end in an alty shirt must have felt bizarre. I bet he still wore a chin guard just in case!

Longman

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »

Chin tickling of players was easy in those days, I seem to remember the 'Alty reject' chant getting a go almost every week, even the odd southern club had an alty reject. You'd play Witton or Vics and there would be 5 or 6 alty rejects on the pitch.

I admire Dean Greygoose so much for actually signing for alty after all the abuse he got from us. His first jog down to the golf road end in an alty shirt must have felt bizarre. I bet he still wore a chin guard just in case!

Ha ha, it's funny you should mention this, my first memory of Alty was standing in the Golf Road as a nipper with my Dad about 1994 I think and Greygoose was in net for Northwich I think??  He was getting loads of abuse off the Golf Road faithful, I also remember when we scored the lads would charge up and down singing "lets go f*cking mental", HA HA!!!

markecky

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

Anyone else remember turning  up for the first game of a season to find we had sold Andy Green and Neil Morton to Barrow the day before?

There was fury!

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »

Sure do Ecky. You knew fcuk all about it in those days until you noticed they were'nt in your starting 11!  Those two were awesome when on top of their game. I recall lots of players ending up at Barrow in that era, talk about out of the frying pan into the fire lol

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

I really do miss not being able to get to the matches,seeing Alty players coming out of the Vics club before the games we used to have against them in the Cheshire league,and staggering through the game and i dont mean Jackie Swindells
Harold
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team