PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reality check!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reality check!!  (Read 11598 times)

EX GK

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Reality check!!
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »

Whilst Saturday's opponents and 90% of Conference National footballers were sat at home with their feet up, Alty's squad were training for 2 hours in the freezing cold on the Astro pitch near the ground . And this is the case week in, week out, with the intention of maintaining their place in this very competitive league. I spent 10 minutes or so talking to Stuart (Coburn) about how the league has changed in the last 5 years or so, from completely part time, other than Rushden when Mr. Martens took control, to now, with the likes of Oxford, Torquay, Exeter, York, Halifax,etc. , all clubs who have been nothing else but full - time as far as I can remember. Next time anyone question's the commitment of the lads, take the time to see them train, you'll soon change your mind, they desperately want to stay in Conference National, and what's more, feel confident in doing so.

Longman

Re: Reality check!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »

Good post that and it does put things into perspective. 

I really hope that we can stay up this season, it would be terrible to go down, I don't care what people say about playing within our means or having more local games in the conference north.  If we have any ambition as a club or supporters we should be desperate to stay in this league and try to build over the forthcoming years into a club who can once again challenge for promotion into the football league!!

Lets get behind the boys at Oxford as I know we will!  :)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:41:48 PM »

Very true Ian,

We all forget at times how difficult it is for the true part time teams.

James Black

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »

fantastic posts

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »

Makes me wonder though...

If say 5yrs ago, The Conference was the promised land for non-professional players...does this mean that over time, this level has slipped to say Unibond level perhaps?

Obviously The Conference is the last level at which you play nationally, but as Ex GK has said...it is overwhelmingly populated by full-time teams / players.

As the famous Conference club that Altrincham are, and have been over the years...maybe it could be said that we are actually over-achieving by being here, if the level at which we have always battled...is now realistically a couple of league below us.

I'm not saying this as an Alti fan with a "lets hold on to our management / defeat is acceptable" slant on things...and of course the desire to win should be there regardless of level...but i think it's definitely a point worth considering.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »

As bigger clubs  with huge crowd potential like Oxford. Torquay, Cambridge, York, Exeter all came into the league I think thats when i realised how big it was getting.  I still regard these clubs as league clubs in a way.  A club that can suddenly pull 7,000 for a derby game, or talk of a sellout for a game where they could go top of the league.

If you look at it on paper, its pretty much a no brainer that a team who train 4 full days a week working on setpieces. corners and fitness should beat a team who train 4 hours a week after work.

However I don't think that has ever really been an issue with Alty fans.  If we go to Torquay and lose 3-0, as long as we have worked 100%, no-one gets back on the coach and says "we should have beaten them , its a disgrace".  They are like cup games, if Torquay have an off day and we play to our max we could get a draw or sneak it and its a bonus.

Its when we don't do the business against teams on a smiliar level to us that it becomes an issue.  Stafford, Droylsden, Vics etc.

I am heartened by talk of starting to go full time..or at least that its being thought about.

If it isn't considered then if we manage to stay up this year then next year will just get harder.

For me the Conference is the level to be at.  I never ever ever ever want to go to Redditch again or watch 5 people from Vauxhall run around the Chequers end after beating us 1-0.  I will of course, but don't expect me to like it.

Some would say different, its personal choice I guess.

strong black coffee

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »

What a refreshing thread. I'm pleased the training has been mentioned by Ian, I used to pop down myself when I lived nearer, I was always impressed by the effort put in by the players after work.I expect this squad is just as committed. I wholeheartedly agree with Ecky, there is no other place to be, unless we get promoted to the Football League. so we've got the rest of the season to make sure we stay here, starting on Saturday with a win at Oxford.

EX GK

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »

I personally know how hard the lads train coz I put Stuart through a "gruelling" session, trying to iron 1 or 2 things out. For him, playing at the likes of Oxford and Exeter make all the effort worth while. As Ecky said, better than trips to Vauxhall and Redditch, with no disrespect to those clubs intended. How many Conference North clubs would swap with Alty's position now? 

EX GK

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »

Whilst Saturday's opponents and 90% of Conference National footballers were sat at home with their feet up, Alty's squad were training for 2 hours in the freezing cold on the Astro pitch near the ground . And this is the case week in, week out, with the intention of maintaining their place in this very competitive league. I spent 10 minutes or so talking to Stuart (Coburn) about how the league has changed in the last 5 years or so, from completely part time, other than Rushden when Mr. Martens took control, to now, with the likes of Oxford, Torquay, Exeter, York, Halifax,etc. , all clubs who have been nothing else but full - time as far as I can remember. Next time anyone question's the commitment of the lads, take the time to see them train, you'll soon change your mind, they desperately want to stay in Conference National, and what's more, feel confident in doing so.

As a final thought, after the above, full timers are now preparing for tomorrow's games, whilst Alty's players are going about their daytime jobs, and happy to be doing so.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
28 Years Later
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

Here's how times have changed:

1979/80 Alty win 2-0 at Rotherham

2007/08 Two players from Rotherham reserves (or fringe first team at best) walk right into the team and improve the playing standard

Where are the part time John Davisons, John Kings and Jeff Johnsons of yesteryear?

Answer - theres more money being a full time player in Division 3 or 4 than being at the pnnacle of part time and holding down your day job.

chrisrufc

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »

I think the difference is that those part time players are now full time in the conference never mind divisions three and four

Narcissist

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

As bigger clubs  with huge crowd potential like Oxford. Torquay, Cambridge, York, Exeter all came into the league I think thats when i realised how big it was getting.  I still regard these clubs as league clubs in a way.  A club that can suddenly pull 7,000 for a derby game, or talk of a sellout for a game where they could go top of the league.

If you look at it on paper, its pretty much a no brainer that a team who train 4 full days a week working on setpieces. corners and fitness should beat a team who train 4 hours a week after work.

However I don't think that has ever really been an issue with Alty fans.  If we go to Torquay and lose 3-0, as long as we have worked 100%, no-one gets back on the coach and says "we should have beaten them , its a disgrace".  They are like cup games, if Torquay have an off day and we play to our max we could get a draw or sneak it and its a bonus.

Its when we don't do the business against teams on a smiliar level to us that it becomes an issue.  Stafford, Droylsden, Vics etc.

I am heartened by talk of starting to go full time..or at least that its being thought about.

If it isn't considered then if we manage to stay up this year then next year will just get harder.

For me the Conference is the level to be at.  I never ever ever ever want to go to Redditch again or watch 5 people from Vauxhall run around the Chequers end after beating us 1-0.  I will of course, but don't expect me to like it.

Some would say different, its personal choice I guess.

What hurts me is having to play teams who are full-time and have similar crowd structures as alty. Its unrealistic, and annoying that even though many of these teams meet the taxman eventually they still have that moment of glory in the meantime at our expense. For the likes of Torquay, York etc its just great for alty to go to these teams with a chance of getting something a la oxford.

The question I have is: How on earth will we sustain full-time without becoming one of the clubs we despise so much, ie Vics?

The Fan

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »

Here's a few radical ideas as to the way to bring better players to Alty:

- Bin Season Tickets - I have one and I bought it because I know I will go to every home game (at least) and it was dirt cheap. If there was no season tickets would I still go to every game? Yep. I don't think it would put people off as those who have bought them are obviously loyal fans. If my maths is correct, 23 x £12 = £276. If my season ticket was £170 (cant remember to be honest) thats a £106 difference. Is there 200 season ticket holders? If so, thats £21,000 + in the coffers.

- Increase prices. Simple. £1 a ticket. Average home support is, say, 800 so thats £800 per game. 23 x £800 = £18,400.   

- Charge Away fans what they pay at home. We are one of the cheapest and I cannot see how or why we cannot amend our away prices for the opposition. If the average away attendance is, say, 250 and this brings in an average of, say, £2 extra per away fan per game 23 x 250 x £2 = £11,500

So £21,000 + £18,400 + £11,500 = £50,900.

Its maybe not 100% mathematically correct and there are variables but the theory is sound (I think !!!). Its a start .......

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »

The problem with banning season tickets is two fold,
1. You get a source of income in the summer when little else is coming in.
2. Its money in the bank, how many fans might have just sacked two or three games off if they hadn't already paid to get in.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

markecky

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »

From the bits i hear, it will not cost a huge amount more to go full time.  lot of younger players at league clubs are not earning what some of our players get, and we don't pay big money.

We are also in a pretty unique position of having no debt at all so all income can go on the right things.

I think the one thing we know about the current board is they won't take a chance on much!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reality check!!