News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cotes Comments

Author Topic: Cotes Comments  (Read 2699 times)

Hodgey

Cotes Comments
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »

'Losing is a habit and one that is not easy to turn around and the more people who want to slam it down out throats, the longer it will take to turn it around'

'Vis are where we were five years ago in terms of drastic action for their club. Always remember we are better off with problems we have now rather than being like Runcorn who are fighting their way back from a very lowly position'

'I can walk away, the board and the players can - but the supporters are for life. But they also need to know when they have the right people running their club in the right way'

His comments in the programme MUST have been written before boxing day, but read extremely insensitive to the supporters. I didnt set not to encourage the team this afternoon at the match, nor did I 'slam it down their throats'. I never saw any evidence of that from the supporters today. I must admit a solvent position is better than one in huge debt and we must thank the board for securing that.

We are where we are by more luck than judgement. Lets not forget we have dodged relegation two seasons on the bounce due to others and have reeped the financial benifits of this. BUT FORGET THE PAST !!!! we have a chance to survive so act now. Forget sentiment, look forward, think bigger and I dont see why Alty cant push for promotion in the future.

'In my opinion' and football is built on opinions .... I can see tha logic of a Peter Taylor or  Nigel Clough being in charge as they must command more qudos in the transfer market and have the contacts in some of the top league clubs. Who would you have more comfort with loaning out your future star to secure in the fact they will be trained correctly and have the right experiences??? thats not Alty at the moment. If your a top player would you not want to work with the former England manager and have the chance you may improve your game? In other words we need a new manager with a track proven track record, and the investment / contacts to allow the club to become full time.

GH is now experiencing stress like never before, for that I really do feel for him as he truely wants the best for Alty. But again his team selection (although better than against Vics) left a little to be desired as was his substitution for Aspinall for Munroe?? I didnt see the reason for it as Munroe has no worse than the anyone else in the back four and we needed more of an attacking focus. I think the defence is becoming the scape goats for the failings in midfield & forward line in GH eyes. Why did he not start with Logan up front?? and Whalley at centre mid?? and thats just today !!

To the board I would say thank you as you have made huge sacrifices and I hope they remain a big part of the club, like Mr Rowley, Mr Goodwin & Mr Wilshaw etc but it may be time to let new people on board to help !!

I think this may just be a rant after yet another home defeat... but 1-5 at home is not good enough !!

Dougals Dad

Re: Cotes Comments
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »

. I think the defence is becoming the scape goats for the failings in midfield & forward line in GH eyes.

On this point, most (if not all) of  the most successful teams have been built round a solid defence.

Longman

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »

"In other words we need a new manager with a track proven track record, and the investment / contacts to allow the club to become full time."

I agree, however do we have the pulling power??

Hodgey

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »

. I think the defence is becoming the scape goats for the failings in midfield & forward line in GH eyes.

On this point, most (if not all) of  the most successful teams have been built round a solid defence.

Yep your right a solid defence is the main starting point for any team, but even Man Utds &  Arsenal's defences would not cope if the players in front of them didnt do their job properly. Altys defence even with Lane, Tinson, Muroe & Scott could have swapped with the Stevenage back four today and the result would have still been 1-5

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

100% agree with this.

Bath Alty

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

Would I prefer Clough or Peter Taylor in charge?  Probably, but look at who the recent appointments down the bottom of the conference have been - York and Farsley both unable to attract a better manager than the one they lost - both appointed the old assistant.  All well and good saying GH should go as we need a better manager and the board need to allow new investment - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to do so but it simply isn't there.

We need a better left back but just saying it doesn't make it happen otherwise we would have had a player of the year left back for the last 18 months.  we need a better player in just about all positions and a better manager and a better board and a better stadium.......you can demand all sorts of things but it's a long slow road and unless there is something practical to do or someone specific that is available and willing to come in and help what can we do?

The Board is probably the best part of our club at the moment.  GH has managed to attract Shotton from a Championship club and two decent sounding players from a league club - one apparently their reserve team captain so not just YTS type spare players, so your comment about other clubs not trusting GH with their talent is frankly rubbish.  We seem to have the contacts with the league teams what we don't have is the money and there is sod all we can do about that.

We are still within range of Farsley and things will look brighter if we can do Vics on NYD.......with all positive thinking effort now expended BathAlty returns to generally depressed existence of past few days....

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »

t.  GH has managed to attract Shotton from a Championship club and two decent sounding players from a league club - one apparently their reserve team captain so not just YTS type spare players, so your comment about other clubs not trusting GH with their talent is frankly rubbish.  We seem to have the contacts with the league teams what we don't have is the money and there is sod all we can do about that.

One good reason for keeping GH.

He has persuaded players from going to other clubs for more money (ie Little) and signed what should have been a decent ex Premier League player (Whalley). Could many (any) others do that at this level?

Marco

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

It's also worth remembering that Colin Little has already said that if Graham leaves Alty then so does he.

No, 1-5 at home is not good enough, but this deafeat like the Vis game before it was down to the players not perfoming, rate than anything else. The fact of the matter is that we need better players at this club, but that costs money.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:47 PM »

Marco were you there today?

There was definately more commitment today?

VofD

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »

Would I prefer Clough or Peter Taylor in charge?  Probably, but look at who the recent appointments down the bottom of the conference have been - York and Farsley both unable to attract a better manager than the one they lost - both appointed the old assistant.  All well and good saying GH should go as we need a better manager and the board need to allow new investment - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to do so but it simply isn't there.

We need a better left back but just saying it doesn't make it happen otherwise we would have had a player of the year left back for the last 18 months.  we need a better player in just about all positions and a better manager and a better board and a better stadium.......you can demand all sorts of things but it's a long slow road and unless there is something practical to do or someone specific that is available and willing to come in and help what can we do?

The Board is probably the best part of our club at the moment.  GH has managed to attract Shotton from a Championship club and two decent sounding players from a league club - one apparently their reserve team captain so not just YTS type spare players, so your comment about other clubs not trusting GH with their talent is frankly rubbish.  We seem to have the contacts with the league teams what we don't have is the money and there is sod all we can do about that.

We are still within range of Farsley and things will look brighter if we can do Vics on NYD.......with all positive thinking effort now expended BathAlty returns to generally depressed existence of past few days....

Bath Alty.
I would suggest that you check the results of York City's last 5 league games, since the appointment of the caretaker and now permanent manager : 4 wins and 1 draw: 13 points out of 15 and now 10th in league. Plus there was that little matter of York knocking us out of the Trophy. Change can sometimes be fruitful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »

Especially if your fulltime and have a large squad of players
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cotes Comments