PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gareth Whalley
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gareth Whalley  (Read 7140 times)

Lew Needham

Gareth Whalley
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »

Has come in for a lot of criticism which you could say is just.

He appears lazy on the field and often cries off injures.

However, i would say for a start when he plays he gets hold of the ball a lot more than Sedge and I think its his style that appears lazy cos he's very calm on the ball. Regarding crying off through injury maybe hes had so many injuries that he doesn't risk playing through an injury.

My point is apparently hes without injury now so I believe he should get a run in the team  for a few games cos i think he could link up well with Little and Senior as they are all on the same wavelength and I think he would get the ball wide to Logan cos nobody did that the other day! Sedge was given a long period in the team and in my eyes did nothing and is one of the most uninterested and lethargic players to pull on an Altrincham kit (got a funny feeling people would say the same about Whalley:-)

I'm just saying give him a run out along with Logan and let them get there confidence back. I've spkoe to someone recently who is involved in the game at a high level and he rates Whalley and thinks hes a really good signing for a club of our level.

Also Lawton has to be the engine alongside him in the middle. He recently played there for a couple of games and you can just see how quickly it restored his confidence.

NEVER PLAY PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION - fact is it ruins confidence and team balance.

If Whalley doesn't perform or gets injured then fair enough let him go!!

Altyant

Re: Gareth Whalley
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

I thought he did ok after he came off the becnh on Boxing Day

Hodgey

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »

From what ive seen of him on the pitch he can play. Yes he is slow and does not put himself about at the level of Lawton but he can pass a ball. Playing Whalley can't be any worse than fielding both your full backs at centre mid and I can imagine it was a slap in the face on Wednesday for him when Heathcote did that.

Alty need to start playing through the midfield off the back four to stop the long ball problem which is evident. The midfield also need to support the forwards ALOT more as well. So is Whalley the answer?..... it cant be any worse than without him.

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »

Stop Whalley bashing....

can anyone name a player in our team with a better touch? NO

did we conceed any goals when he was on the pitch yesterday? NO

Should  Gary Scott play out of position in central midfield ahead of him? NO

If he is fit, he should play.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »

If Gareth is to play he needs a service to his feet, he is not the quickest but his skill should buy him time.

He is obviously not match fit, and will only achieve it with playing.

If he did swear at a supporter,an explanation should be sought as to the reason why. We are a family club and and that should not be tolerated.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:47:59 PM »

I think Whalley is there for Graham's passing game he wants the team to play. Alas, if we keep hoofing the ball upfield he will not get a touch!

Jacko

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 05:54:23 PM »

Not sure you can rely on whalleys creativity alone in centre midfield, would be good with are old man bushall or maybe a fit val owen to clean up behind him

he's got great technique but i have to admit i would'nt be suprised to see his last game tommorow

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:55:49 PM »

Not sure you can rely on whalleys creativity alone in centre midfield, would be good with are old man bushall or maybe a fit val owen to clean up behind him

he's got great technique but i have to admit i would'nt be suprised to see his last game tommorow

He would need to be partnered by a grafter like Lawton

Jacko

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »

if i were a player who had come on to the alty pitch the other day after a great career that he's had i would'nt think twice about giving a bone idle idiot the v's ;D

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:34:35 PM »

For me Gareth Whalley is currently a luxury we can ill afford.

What to do with him depends on a number of things.

1. Notwithstanding that his ankle injury was caused by a disgraceful lunch from a thug from a pub in Droylsden )Lynch) who should have been sent of, is Whalley going to play 20 games between now and May? If he is, then he has a role as his deep lying passing should be able to give us the width we desperately lack.

2. Is Whalley going to at least put a foot in occasionally? He never has been a Carmody esque player and we don't expect him to howver he has to show at least a little bit more fight than we have seen thus far. We aren't good enough to carry anyone in that centre midfield and surely someone who has played in the premeirship has at least some physical capabilities.

3. What sort of wages is Whalley on? I would expect him to be one of the highest earners at the club. If so, are these wages better deployed elsewhere? With the transfer window we are at make or break time. For all his pedigree and indeed Jake Sedgemores, I would contend that neither of them have added anymore direction, drive or vision to our play than Steve Bushell (who we viewed as disappointing ultimately) did last year.

At the moment I am inclined to say I just want to see battlers in midfield and money used for a striker or left back. If the answers to 1 and 2 are positive then 3 becomes irrelevant but these are the facts of the matter. I don't care to much about his demeanour or indeed whether he comes into the bar or not after to be honest but it's decision time really.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »

how can anyone judge whalley he hasnt been fully fit since he came to alty  lets give him a few games in a row and then we can make a true assesment

markecky

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »

Think his "sickness" before the glamorous trip to Nuneaton may have nailed his cofin.

stubmanred

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »

I think Whalley has undoubted class, but he need to take his head out of his backside and realise that he's not playing league football anymore, that you don't get time on the ball at this level and that you will get a kick. The sooner he realises this, understands that he can be the biggest player at this club (on previous career to date) then maybe he'll get himself up for it,and stop trying to be a pre-madonna..

I do also agree with Ballers that a combative midfielder maybe a better option for Alty, someone to break up play and carry us forward thereby negating the long ball tactics we have employed all season!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »

how can anyone judge whalley he hasnt been fully fit since he came to alty  lets give him a few games in a row and then we can make a true assesment

My point is that with the transfer window and our predicament that his lack of full fitness is a major issue. I'm sure he is a good player (prem and all that) but if he hasn't been fully fit since he came we need to ask will he be fully fit for the rest of the season. His injury record would suggest not. We don't have the time or resources to wait and see.

flaggerN

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:20 PM »

If he did swear at a supporter,an explanation should be sought as to the reason why. We are a family club and and that should not be tolerated.

Gareth Whalley is one of the more skilful players at the club. Hence he becomes a target for the opposition to kick. As for the family club bit and swearing what about the abuse that comes off the terraces.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gareth Whalley