News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta Cup

Author Topic: Setanta Cup  (Read 2188 times)

hullablue

Setanta Cup
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »

Just want to clear up a bit of a misunderstanding some of your cyber fans may have about Nuneaton Boro.
We DO have priority on home matches at the ground we own and the rugby club shares with us.
The rugby club had a league fixture planned for the Saturday of the Setanta Shield match, so Nuneaton asked Alty if they were willing to kick off early.
I am in no dount that if Alty had said no (like other clubs have done when there have been fixture clashes) the game would have gone ahead as planned, although, is there any ruling that says Setanta games are kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday?
I am saddened that some Alty fans have gone to spouting off rubbish on various non-league forums without knowing the facts, and hope this will go some way towards redresssing the balance

Alty365

Re: Setanta Cup
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »

In all honesty I am more saddened by the fact this game is taking place at all. It is an utter waste of time and the idea of having players injured/picking up cards in such a meaningless match is annoying. I presume Nuneaton feel largely the same?

What happens with regard to pitch markings and goalposts? If our game ends at 2.55pm how the hell do they get ready for a rugby match in the space of 5 minutes? Have I missed something here?

hullablue

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28:10 PM »

The rugby match has moved back too. Both games have moved their kick off times.
The pitch always has both marking on it, like many other grounds do, with green paint over the 'wrong markings' and when the football match is over, the groundsmen will prpepare the pitch for the rugby team.
I think many fans are being very ungrateful over the Setanta Cup. Non league fans are always going on about the lack of investment at our level, yet when a firm comes along, shows live matches, puts up proper prize money and the likes, peoplel only moan.
It is a free world, and no one has to attend the matches. In fact, I will not be going!
Nuneaton are very lucky to have been drawn at home to Alty, your legendary (and mostly made up) away support will swell our coffers just before xmas in a wonderful way!
Thanks for that!

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »

The rugby match has moved back too. Both games have moved their kick off times.
The pitch always has both marking on it, like many other grounds do, with green paint over the 'wrong markings' and when the football match is over, the groundsmen will prpepare the pitch for the rugby team.
I think many fans are being very ungrateful over the Setanta Cup. Non league fans are always going on about the lack of investment at our level, yet when a firm comes along, shows live matches, puts up proper prize money and the likes, peoplel only moan.
It is a free world, and no one has to attend the matches. In fact, I will not be going!
Nuneaton are very lucky to have been drawn at home to Alty, your legendary (and mostly made up) away support will swell our coffers just before xmas in a wonderful way!
Thanks for that!

And people wonder why we were glad to get out of conf north.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »

Thank God for that.

We can breathe easier knowing your not going "to go off in a minute,me"

thegazelle

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »

blimey i had forgotten about old hulla since we moved on to better things, talking of hot air and bluster can we have the chief back as well

isnt it great that the little clubs get to play the big clubs like in the FA cup.

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »

With all due respect to Nuneaton we should be beating teams like this

;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

Nuneaton are on a good run at present after a poor start to the season & this game is likely to be very evenly contested.Whilst currently in a lower league than ourselves they are potentially a  bigger club than Altrincham  in terms of support & I am sure that Graham will be taking this game very seriously.

I don't disagree with the concerns about this competition but as far as League Cup competitions are concerned I think that the Setanta Shield is as good as it has ever been or ever will be in future.As has already been stated a major company has put it's name & resources behind this & is doing its best to promote the competition.There have already been two matches live on TV with the prospect of five more,assuming one televised game per round.If you add to that the fact that teams can't field seriously weakened line ups & that the final is going to be staged at a Premier League ground, then there is quite a lot to go for for all clubs.Obviously maintaining BSP status will always be head & shoulders the prime objective for us but let's give the competition a chance.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 11:45:43 PM »

, your legendary (and mostly made up) away support ....

Huh? ? ? ? ? ?

Although I am unsure as to whether we need this competion (injuries etc as mentioned previously), it is good that Setanta are putting their money where there mouth is and supporting this level of football. I have been very impressed with Setanta's coverage.

louise1925

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 08:24:35 AM »

As regards the Setanta Shield, people will vote with their feet I'm sure and the competition won't last long.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta Cup