PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SAM article
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SAM article  (Read 6245 times)

louise1925

SAM article
« on: December 04, 2007, 11:38:01 PM »

I don't want to get anyones back up here but I've just read the SAM article on our defeat to Histon. I'm not sure the journalist has been entirely fair on Carlos Logan. The impression I got from the article was that the guy just couldn't be arsed playing for us. Is this what posters here think? Again, not condemning SAM, just a touch unfair I think on a guy who get 20 minutes a game tops. I've read it a few times and it really does seem to be having a go at him. When poor Scotty made his errors recently I don't recall people questionning his pride or passion for the club.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: SAM article
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:58:58 PM »

I'm not convinced by Logan by any means but it does seem a little harsh to single him out as the sole scapegoat for last Saturday's defeat, whilst conveniently ignoring our star striker's hat-trick of misses at the other end or our vanishing defence for their opening goal.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alex

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:21:39 AM »

tbh scotty has been here a while and there is no question of his commitment but considering carlos came here to "put himself in the shop window" he is hardly setting the league alight and i can understand the frustration some people have with him because he shows that he has somthing special to offer but never seems to quite able to do it, now im not saying saturday was his fault by no stretch of the imagination just that as i say it's frustrating to see a player with abilty and not to see it helping the team. as for only 20 mins a game that in truth is something new, in october he was regularly starting games (at home) and still we lost or produced poor team performances i can only watch step overs and tricks for so long when were struggling before i get annoyed that there is no killer ball at the end of the run.

starjammer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »

Logan is a player who can skin his marker and get crosses into the box. The problem is we have no one there to finish, and if they are there, they've won't get the better of their marker. We don't even have midfielders in position for a cut back or to take advantage or a poor clearance.  ::)
I fail to see how Logan can have a killer final pass or cross when as a team we don't have the players in the right positions or making the right run.
I've seen it time and time again! I'd love to freeze the action and ask some of you who he's meant to pass or cross to?!
to sum up - his final ball may not what it could, but the main problem is that we don't have players timing runs, making space for themselves, or getting the better of their marker.
Therein lies the problem, but it looks like Carlos is going to be made the scapegoat!  >:(

James Black

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »

carlos has to start torquay or we get put to the slaughter

Daycare Dan

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

carlos has to start torquay or we get put to the slaughter
madness! Start logan who is an out and out winger over the more solid selection of peyton at left wing and scotty at left back WILL mean we get mullered.

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »

To be fair to James Black and rather than merely towing the party line, the way things are progressing at left back we are likely to get mullered regardless of whether we play Carlos Logan or not. I actually agree that he shouldn't start, but it has got to be Warren at left back, surely?

Alex

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »

but it looks like Carlos is going to be made the scapegoat!  >:(

SAM are in the wrong for singling him out (no question) but i ask if it had been joe o'neill who had made that back pass what the reaction would have been?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »

Sorry I have to agree with SAM, the report was only just ott and Carlos cost us big time!

I have never seen a decent cross from him, he needs to find the player and they do get there. When Pottsy is playing his final ball is better!

Logan is good to watch but needs to find that final ball.

He is best at the moment at super sub!!

Reading Robin

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »

Why the criticism of Logan for a mistake, while others are forgiven?  More of the favouring of those who would die for the cause i think.

I'm still uncovinced that his crossing is as bad as some people say.  We have to consider that he hasn't got the best targets for crosses as well.  Carlos is with the exception of Senior, our most threatening attacking player at the moment.  Even if he doesn't produce the perfect cross his running is taking players out of the game, as well as being a great 'out' ball for us as he can carry the ball for large distances.

Put Warren at left-back and Carlos on the wing from the start, take some of the pressure off our defence.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:53:21 AM by Reading Robin »

Alex

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »

but the problem we had last6 year when payton played left back was that he didn't want to be there. we all know he hates playing there that is why scotty is there this year (and doning a decent job considering he is an average right back playing out of possition).

Reading Robin

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

I'm sure Carlos doesn't like coming off the bench as well, Peyton is the best option there at the moment and did well even if he didn't enjoy it in the past.  We can look for a natural left-back in January.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »

Sorry I have to agree with SAM, the report was only just ott and Carlos cost us big time!

I have never seen a decent cross from him, he needs to find the player and they do get there. When Pottsy is playing his final ball is better!

Logan is good to watch but needs to find that final ball.

He is best at the moment at super sub!!

When Logan gets past his marker he just blindly crosses it rather than looking to find someone in the middle. I'll admit that we don't have huge numbers in there for him to aim at but they are trying to find space and take up positions and  his somewhat scattergun approach to crossing makes them look worse than they actually may be.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »

Logan did come and unbalanc the team. He did nearly give the ball away 2 or 3 times before his disatrous back pass which killed the game.

Sorry, he had a shocker. And to say it's because he only comes on for 20 mins/half an hour or he's low on confidence is a load of bollocks quite frankly.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »

Carlos Logan is a breath of fresh air at Alty and reminds me of the Terry, Sharret days the man has never been given a real chance and can only improve with games under his belt. Anyone who thinks its a bad idea to start Logan against the clubs in our mini league should be put in the loon bin.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SAM article