PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ratings
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ratings  (Read 5231 times)

dino

ratings
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »

team performance  8/10.   proved that they are capable of competing at this level

management performance 2/10.   poor team selection on left side,negative tactics after first goal

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ratings
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »

Why the left side?

Scotty has done ok there in other games!!

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:22:20 PM »

Why the left side?

Scotty has done ok there in other games!!

Agreed. It was the best possible selection with the players. We needed support for Scotty on the left by playing the more defensive Peyton instead of Logan. Thier right winger, Dobson, was the difference between the 2 sides.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »

team performance  8/10.   proved that they are capable of competing at this level

management performance 2/10.   poor team selection on left side,negative tactics after first goal

Do you think the management said "sit back and hit it long" after the first goal or thought we could keep them out for 76 minutes...seriously?

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:39:04 PM »

Perhaps playing Peyton at left back (with more pace) could cope better with the likes
of Dobson.
Then maybe give the oppo more things to worry about with a fast supporting Peyton behind the trickery
of Logan.

who knows ?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:06:52 AM »

Don't think that playing anyone who isn't a natural left back at left back would have made any difference.

Scotty tried but, as has been said earlier, the passer of the ball had far too much time and space to hit the ball(s) which did for us (twice!!!!)

We have to remember that they are full time and have hours to practice clipping balls over full backs.

despite what has been said I still think that, given the starting positions Scotty had a sod of a job to cut out either ball and that we were a touch unfortunate with both goals....but ain't that just our season????????????????

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »

Don't think that playing anyone who isn't a natural left back at left back would have made any difference.

Scotty tried but, as has been said earlier, the passer of the ball had far too much time and space to hit the ball(s) which did for us (twice!!!!)

We have to remember that they are full time and have hours to practice clipping balls over full backs.

despite what has been said I still think that, given the starting positions Scotty had a sod of a job to cut out either ball and that we were a touch unfortunate with both goals....but ain't that just our season????????????????

Dare I suggest that you wouldn't have been quite so forgiving if those errors had been perpetrated by Darren Tinson?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

dino

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:32:23 AM »

peyton is the most efficient left back in the club...at the moment he self selects. scotty was extremely shakey at farsley and should not play LB. He epitomises everything good at the club,but should play Rside.

It is crass judgement not to play logan from the start....he is our most direct and probing player. His fitness and speed are already eroding due to 20mins action/week.

When we scored ,heathcote reverted to type...4.6.0. and handed the initiative back to stevenage,as we cant defend for 60 mins,and alas 3 points were tossed away against a very average side.Well done the 50 travellers,you deserve more...i am going to torquay,but i know what to expect...4.5.1 at best

markecky

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »

"When we scored ,heathcote reverted to type...4.6.0. and handed the initiative back to stevenage,as we cant defend for 60 mins,and alas 3 points were tossed away against a very average side"

So that confirms it then, you believe that the manager actually asked the players to sit back after 14 mins and hang on for a 1-0 win for 76 mins.

Jesus wept........

Jacobs

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:33:03 AM »

What else would you want at Torquay, 4-3-3 ?????

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:03:35 AM »

GH actually said during his half time interview that after the goal we reverted to long balls and lost the pattern of play and sat back and they should not have done that - not verbatim by the way.

So there is evidence he did not want us to sit back, he wanted us to continue playing the way we were.

Tactics were spot on.

I do feel that Warren should now slot in at left back as he was excellent there last year. However we also know he doesnt want to play left back and GH may have had to say to Warren that he wont be picked at left back as he was unhappy last year but agreed to help us out, as indeed scotty is doing this year.

The problem with Warren at left back is who goes left wing. Logan i here you shout, but lets be honest he cant do a 90 minute job and who else will be able to cover that slot now that senior picks himself upfront and Rod has gone?

A difficult situation for the club and not one I would like to resolve, a new signing is the obvious situation but this proved difficult at the start of the season when we tried Coo and Clancy, both of which didnt work out.

Alty365

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »

I don't want to slag anyone off here, but with regard to the above point about Logan, barring one good run I thought he was fairly ineffective when he came on at Stevenage.

I think Scotty has done his best since being brought into the side but I would have replaced him about 5 minutes before their second goal as he looked knackered. Whether that would have prevented the goal or not is something we can debate all day long. However, to suggest that the management instructed the team to revert to long balls from deep following our goal is so demented I can't even begin to tell you.

teasybeaver

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »

I find it hard to believe that Peyton would demand not to play left-back. He strikes me as the sort of player who would do it for the team, I'd be a little disappointed if this was true.

Maybe it would be prudent to try Logan and Peyton on the left (if they are willing to play  ::)) and have Scott and Whalley on the bench if things need to be changed round for whatever reason.

Its clearly not enough to just bringing Logan on for 20 minutes, class act or not. Maybe we could see if he can be effective for the 1st 55 or 60 help us et 2 goals and then we bring Scott and Whalley on and concentrate attacks down the middle. We could at least try it at home.

I wouldn't slate GH for Alty's changing tactics after goals scored or conceded. The point has already been covered this season that our players revert to long ball boredom against managers wishes. I cant imagine GH ever telling players to just play long ball, he isn't a fu#*ing moron!

louise1925

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »

I am quite sure that the players didn't sit back because GH told them too. I think it's more a matter of confidence at the minute, or should I say lack of it. Even GH said, the team are actually pretty good and should start believing it. Probably what went through the lads minds at 1 up was, "Hey, how can we be winning here? This aint right!" Anyway, that's just my opinion.
On another matter. Warren needs to play at left back I'm afraid, at least until Scotty is fit. How about starting with Whalley on the left, class act who unfortunately seems as capable of lasting 90 as Carlos. Then, bring Carlos on in the second half if things need shaking up a bit. All a bit Championship Manager I know, but surely makes sense given what we've all seen recently.

teasybeaver

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »

All a bit Championship Manager I know, but surely makes sense given what we've all seen recently.

Completely agree. I love champ manager, but over the years it has given me a false sense of managerial ability. It has however, given me expert knowledge of bizarre European footballers.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:25:11 PM by teasybeaver »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ratings