PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ridiculous
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ridiculous  (Read 6445 times)

Hamilton

bighairedmike

Re: ridiculous
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »

little's quote in messenger

"if we dont raise our game,we dont deserve to stay up"

surely it should say

"if you dont raise your game ,you wont be here in january to take us down"

He didnt look interested to most people i was with on tuesday,and needs to expend a lot more energy.To many supporters on tuesday evening the performance was just not good enough,as was the case against runcorn.Supporters expectations have been dumbed down too much by certain people,and such low standards should not be accepted in this great club.

What is worse?

a) Being realistic and making the best of what we've got

or

b) Living in the past in the undying belief that we're bigger and better than we really are?

Time for a reality check. We're not top of the Alliance Premier League and we're not one of the richest, most powerful clubs in non league anymore either. You claim that certain people have "dumbed down" supporter's expectations. Do you expect people to publicly declare we're making an assault on the league title this season? How stupid would they look if they said such a thing? What do you and your kind want? Can you not see that we're a tiny club in this division? Is it not plainly obvious to even the most optimistic of supporters that we can't compete in the upper echelons of the Blue Square Premier? You make me sick with your constant harking back to bygone glory days and constant reminders of how this team can't hold a candle up to the sides of the 70's and 80's. Whilst these assertions are undoubtedly true, what does it achieve to say such things? We need to move on from the past and enjoy it for what it was without burdening the current generation with over inflated expectations. Alty is and always will be a fantastic club which I will always support, but try to understand that we're not the force we once were.

Well said that man!

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 09:18:38 PM »

surely it should say

He didnt look interested to most people i was with on tuesday,and needs to expend a lot more energy.To many supporters on tuesday evening the performance was just not good enough,as was the case against runcorn.Supporters expectations have been dumbed down too much by certain people,and such low standards should not be accepted in this great club.

Some people on this forum need there heads testing
Come on you red and white........

starjammer

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »

surely it should say

Sorry, but the original quote is quite correct.
The word "we" is a pronoun - first person plural, so in this instance is quite correct (see below)
Substitute the word "we" for "you" and it no longer makes any sense (at least to me!)

::)
Colin Little plays for Altrincham FC - correct?
Therefore it's "we" - surely?
He's talking about Altrincham FC, who he plays for, is he not?

Is it me, or do some people here not understand the English language?
For those who have difficulty with the above quote try this link
what is a pronoun
Hope this helps 
 ;)

dino

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »

let me clarify my point............nobody is making comparsons to past teams.Our current predicament arises from the underperformance of the current team,which individually and collectively are capable of competing with the likes of weymouth,halifax,woking etc.ie the bottom 10 teams.Ive watched them all,they are no better than us ..Perhaps the problem lies with the ability of the coaching staff.Why were players blowing up after 60 mins on tuesday?!

starjammer

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 12:00:50 AM »

Apologies dino, but I didn't understand were what point you were making, and don't doubt Colin Little's commitment.
I agree with what Colin said 100% - what is there to disagree with? or am I missing something?
I have to agree with your previous post - IMO also we are capable of better, and I have to disagree with those who think that to expect us to do a lot better is an unrealistic expectation. I've only been following Alty  for 3 seasons, so what we did in the 70s or 80s is meaningless to me. What I do know is that if a few players raise their game a notch, we could putting together a decent run of results. I dont' expect miracles, but simply think we're underachieving.
We need to "raise our game" - and we have the players to do it....If we don't.... well it's obvious isn't it?

RocketDan

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 02:28:02 AM »

What is worse?

a) Being realistic and making the best of what we've got

or

b) Living in the past in the undying belief that we're bigger and better than we really are?

Time for a reality check. We're not top of the Alliance Premier League and we're not one of the richest, most powerful clubs in non league anymore either. You claim that certain people have "dumbed down" supporter's expectations. Do you expect people to publicly declare we're making an assault on the league title this season? How stupid would they look if they said such a thing? What do you and your kind want? Can you not see that we're a tiny club in this division? Is it not plainly obvious to even the most optimistic of supporters that we can't compete in the upper echelons of the Blue Square Premier? You make me sick with your constant harking back to bygone glory days and constant reminders of how this team can't hold a candle up to the sides of the 70's and 80's. Whilst these assertions are undoubtedly true, what does it achieve to say such things? We need to move on from the past and enjoy it for what it was without burdening the current generation with over inflated expectations. Alty is and always will be a fantastic club which I will always support, but try to understand that we're not the force we once were.

Totally agree; have a plethora of Goodwins!

My vote for post of the year, good point of the year and rant of the year.
Have as many Goodwins you can shake a stick at.
Daycare Dan you can have a Goodwin for raising the quality of post.
Damn I know its a bit early for Christmas but.....

RocketDan

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 02:32:34 AM »

back to the original quote.

Lets face it Colin is 54, he hasnt got any pace and seems to get frustrated when things aren't going right. He is still a solid player who brings a lot of experience to the team.

I just know whatever happens, come the final day of the season I'll have the feeling Colin is five goals short of his target.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 10:45:56 AM »

while theres nothing wrong with remembering the past of course we have to live in the present. until someone decides that football clubs can only pay what they earn we will struggle to stay in this division. i suspect most wouldnt have it any other way.
every time i have seen the team in recent times (mainly london and s.e.)  little has been head and shoulders the best player. not necessarily the one who tried hardest but the one with the little something extra which wins you games.
if he was younger, fitter, quicker, he wouldnt be playing for us

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

Spot on Jim in London, he has an awareness and reading of the game that most at this level do not, even if he isn't as quick as he once was.

Who remembers when Stepney joined us, another who although a former pro was dedicated, he brought the same added value if you like with his vision and superb distribution.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »

Lets face it Colin is 54

Blimey! That's even older than that geezer from Stafford  :o
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »

Lets face it Colin is 54

Blimey! That's even older than that geezer from Stafford  :o

They've still got a way to go to  beat Gary Talbot at 62.

bighairedmike

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »

And remember, Val Owen was old when Alty was formed.

(like one certain 'daycare' i know ;))

Daycare Dan

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »

(like one certain 'daycare' i know ;))

There are two Daycare's??  ???
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ridiculous