PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wasted two points
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Wasted two points  (Read 11305 times)

VofD

Re: Wasted two points
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what a terrible game Scotty had. Qiute a number of attacks were halted when he gave the ball away , and at times his defending left a lot to be desired, both at left back and at right back. Could be close to his sell-by date.

And, yes, I was there in the pissing rain watching another clueless performance. A great opportunity to get out of the bottom 4 missed.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »

I'm not so sure about that Hamilton. I remember back in the 70's Arsenal played a midweek game against Derby at 3pm due to power cuts. The attendance was 5,000 up on their average. Nowadays the traditional 9-5 working hours are becoming less popular as we move towards a 24 hour society. Barrow for example would certainly have taken a lot more supporters to Bournemouth if the game had been played at 3pm

I think that you'll find that during the power cuts of the 1970's people weren't working or at school for that matter at 3pm on some weekday afternoons, there was, as you say no power therefore no heating, lighting or TV to watch. I would suggest in those circumstances that people would go to watch what were at the time 2 of the better sides in the country rather than sit at home being miserable.

Anyone any views ?

I agree Phil.  Incidentally, the lowest ever postwar league attendance was held in the same period.  450 to watch a Rochdale match on a midweek afternoon in 1974.  So a less than attractive fixture got a dreadful crowd.

baldrick

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

I still think it might be worth trying a 3pm midweek kick off. As someone pointed out, Leeds were at home last night so maybe if Farsley had kicked off at 3pm and done an Altrincham style £5 offer for Leeds season ticket holders the attendance might have been better.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 10:04:16 PM »

I still think it might be worth trying a 3pm midweek kick off. As someone pointed out, Leeds were at home last night so maybe if Farsley had kicked off at 3pm and done an Altrincham style £5 offer for Leeds season ticket holders the attendance might have been better.

I'm all for innovation, but how many Alty fans could have got there and how many Alty players could have got the time off work?

seasonticket

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2007, 09:52:17 AM »

"Complete" players, Is that what were playing for England last night. Complete crap more like.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »

I'm all for innovation, but how many Alty fans could have got there and how many Alty players could have got the time off work?

The entry might be less, but petrol would cost the same, as would coach hire.  More fans would be using holidays up or taking unpaid leave and, as you say, there is the issue of our own players' jobs.  I can't see how it would work to be honest.

Altyant

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what a terrible game Scotty had. Qiute a number of attacks were halted when he gave the ball away , and at times his defending left a lot to be desired, both at left back and at right back. Could be close to his sell-by date.

And, yes, I was there in the pissing rain watching another clueless performance. A great opportunity to get out of the bottom 4 missed.

Did you miss Scotty's tackle in pretty much the first minute when he got in to stop ther striker scoring? Did you see Scotty's excellent perfomance against Weymouth?

We are only one win away from getting out of the bottom four - stop being so negative

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2007, 01:02:35 PM »

Scotty did have apoor game when he moved to right back last night, after being excellent since his return to the team at left back.

I think we all need to chill on some of the arguments re players, the fact is that the vast majority of the players we have are deficient in some areas, i.e. that's why they're not playing for a top half conference side. Logan needs to work on his final ball, Joe needs to get more goals etc.

We could argue about this virtually all day, the fact of the matter is that only Senior, and arguably Tinson and SHotton are picking themselves at the moment.

fwiw I think Joe has had a reasonable last couple of games and is starting to look slightly more like his old self, running the channels etc.

Maybe we talk about the new players settling in but it can affect existing players as well, Joe hasn't got Bush or Lewis (remember them) supplying him now.

Cadiz Alty

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »

VoD

I too was at the game on a miserable night in a Leeds disirict which was difficult to find (good job we had the bus to follow home)
I agree scott had a very poor game as did Oneil again Munroe was dodgy but has not played regularly,
Lawton put lots of effort in and Sedgemore was the main linkman in midfield.
Yes Logan had 20 minutes where we looked dangerous.

I thought we were lucky in having the nutter centre foward sent off as early as they did as it looked like they might score a few never mind one, they  are a very well organised team but the players they brought on might just be there undoing over the season (not enough depth).

I can see us getting out of the bottom 4 but we might have to wait until after Xmas.

You got a sence from the state of their ground that they might not be around for a log time in the conference.
But also you can see  with a full strength team why they have had a good start. 

All in all I thought a point on a misserable night was reasonable and with a little luck we might have nicked it (it would have been unfair though).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wasted two points