PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1985/1986 season
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1985/1986 season  (Read 5747 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 1985/1986 season
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:38 PM »

I am officially the worlds worst artist, it would have been a stick man if it was mine.

Although that may have been better.

Does anyone remember (apart from Pete Hughes) the Vic Robin cartoon that was in the programme in the 90's?  Oddest thing ever that was

Now that you mention it, I do recall those cartoons.

Not sure who supplied them (cue: another excuse to dig out a load of dusty old programmes and annoy my wife....).
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:04:48 PM »

I'm planning the morning's loft trip, bit late now might wake the kids.

Another programme thing, my earlier seasons, ie mid 70's, the prog carried a header "Best value for money in non-league" It was 6p.Were all the others 7p?
Also how much did Hawkers of Altrincham pay for their omnipresent front cover ad from the year dot till we got a bit professional when the APL started.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 08:16:33 AM »

OK, here goes....

Back row (left to right):

Mike Farrelly; Colin Chesters; Phil Jackson; Graham Bennett; Jeff Wealands; Elfyn Edwards; Jeff Johnson.

Middle row (left to right):

Stan Allan (coach); Paul Reid; Phil Gardner; Paul Cuddy; Peter Conning; Ronnie Ellis; George Rooney (Assistant Manager).

Front row (left to right):

Kevan Hawkins; Gary Anderson; Doug Newton; John King; John Davison; Peter Densmore; John McMahon.

Graham Heathcote was playing for Witton Albion by then.

FA Cup Fourth Round.

FA Trophy winners.

Is this the team that beat Birmingham? Thanks for the above info
@AltyDaz

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »

1. Cult, you don't fool me, I know that you have that picture, for the record the only one I struggled on was Elfyn Edwards. Millwall would be underdogs if that team was playing tomorrow.

2, Weren't the Vic Robin cartoon the standard old gags? Absolutely terrible.

3. I quite liked that 1986 kit, I kind of like our kit being largely white with a hint of red. I have vivid memories of that from the early part of the season but iirc our 3 major games were played in completely different strips. Birmingham away was a thin red/black stripey kit kind of a la AC Milan at the time of Liam Brady, the York tie in the 4th round was a bizzarre grey/silver monstrosity that I think was never worn again and the FA Trophy final at Wembley was another black/red stripe kit sponsored by Fairmitre. WHy?

4. The most council thing about that 1989 programme was that it was made out of, er paper! Don't laugh, I mean not your normal semi glossy programme paper but literally folded pieces of A4. It was as terrible as the chequered kit. I saw a photo of it the other day and wondered what we were thinking. Wouldn't have been so bad in red and white.

Actually, I know why that was. I had/have an umbro catalogue from that season, they only did them in red and black.

5. The best Alty kit was the 1990-91 version, just a classic altho the one on the team photo about 1979 is good, simple red and white stripes with a black collar. I don't like the current away kit either, I think it's just because I don't like us playing in blue, even light blue, and because I've come to associate us wearing it with not winning (i,e, away games). I must say I do like this seasons and would purchase one myself if it didn't come with Carole Nash (lovely women tho she is) emblazoned across the back where names go.  I quite like the mad flourescentyellow unibond winning kit.  :)

Hamilton

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »

I wonder if the team have been watching the Giant Killers DVD

Dougals Dad

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »

3. I quite liked that 1986 kit, I kind of like our kit being largely white with a hint of red. I have vivid memories of that from the early part of the season but iirc our 3 major games were played in completely different strips. Birmingham away was a thin red/black stripey kit kind of a la AC Milan at the time of Liam Brady, the York tie in the 4th round was a bizzarre grey/silver monstrosity that I think was never worn again and the FA Trophy final at Wembley was another black/red stripe kit sponsored by Fairmitre. WHy?

5. The best Alty kit was the 1990-91 version, just a classic altho the one on the team photo about 1979 is good, simple red and white stripes with a black collar. I don't like the current away kit either, I think it's just because I don't like us playing in blue, even light blue, and because I've come to associate us wearing it with not winning (i,e, away games). I must say I do like this seasons and would purchase one myself if it didn't come with Carole Nash (lovely women tho she is) emblazoned across the back where names go.  I quite like the mad flourescentyellow unibond winning kit.  :)

Controversy: I liked the black n gold away kit we had the 2nd time we faced Spurs

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:47 AM »

Is this the team that beat Birmingham? Thanks for the above info

It is.

To be precise:

Wealands

Gardner Cuddy Johnson Densmore

Conning Anderson Davison Ellis

Reid Chesters

(Farrelly unused sub I think)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »

I am officially the worlds worst artist, it would have been a stick man if it was mine.

Although that may have been better.

Does anyone remember (apart from Pete Hughes) the Vic Robin cartoon that was in the programme in the 90's?  Oddest thing ever that was

I remember that  Vic Robins cartoon.  I vaguely recall one of them about him being in a chippy with a girl called Saucy Sue!

As for the 85/6 kits, they might have been made by Henson who I think did Villa's kit at that time.  I thought the red and white one looked crap, the Wembley kit was a bit better.  I think Umbro might have done the FA Cup kits.  

What a season that was - only 8 at the time but remember loads of it.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »

I was in my bedroom doing my homework when the Alty win at Brum came through on Picadilly Radio. I shouted down to tell my day:

His words were, I believe, "Don't bo bloody stupid."

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »

just amazing to think that the team shown wasnt even the best one we had in that era

i was already living in london when we played brum. we took a minibus up for the first game full of mates etc and when it was called off went to see coventry v watford as one of the lads knew someone who lived by highfield road
3 of us took the train up for the rearranged game but took along a villa fan of our acquantance (who i think enjoyed it more than us!)

its so sad that there is no decent quality footage of the night because i would like to see if we did comprehensively outplay a top division side. i remember chatting to a copper next to me and him saying it would be a travesty if we didnt get something out of it just before hopkins scored the own goal. we didnt even celebrate just laughed and laughed.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1985/1986 season