PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Results of Public Houses survey
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Results of Public Houses survey  (Read 4359 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »

I have just spent 15-20 minutes ringing a sample of pubs in the Alty/Timperley/Bowdon/Hale area.

They will all be closed tomorrow until at least 3.00pm apart from The Griffin in Bowdon.

The pubs I rang were:-

Orange Tree
 Malt Shovels
 Moss Trooper
King George
Wheatsheaf
Cheshire Midland

Disturbingly at least half of them advised me that the Police had TOLD them to close & one stated that they were very concerned that if there was an incident at their establishment that it could potentially threaten their future license.

I suspect that there will be very few pubs open tomorrow.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Results of Public Houses survey
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:09:21 PM »

There's over 30 bars and pubs in the area, operation MORE ALE starts at 11 am tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:13:22 PM by altrincham »

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

I think its a real shame. Looking at the ticket sales, not much CAN happen anyway. It seems that the over-reaction from police/media has spurned an excellent possible pay day for the club.

At least the club bar will be open before the game.

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »

at least half of them advised me that the Police had TOLD them to close

we're the other half told to close by tesco?

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »

What about the Wetherspoons and the Station? The club are advising everyone to arrive early but this seems pointless as only 120 will get in the bar so most of us will be standing in the cold waiting.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »

Surely there will be pubs open a little away from the town centre/station area, someone asked about Broadheath earlier, what about The Hare and Hounds and other Timperley pubs?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »

The usual rule in these situations is the more remote the pub the more likely it is to be open. Take to the streets and hunt them down.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »

The cub are asking people to get there early because its an Alty tradition to turn up at 2:58.

Despite it not being a massive crowd anyone who does that tomorrow will miss our first goal.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:00:18 PM »

The cub are asking people to get there early because its an Alty tradition to turn up at 2:58.

Despite it not being a massive crowd anyone who does that tomorrow will miss our first goal.
The cub will they be joining the football scouts tomorrow? ;D ;D ;D
@AltyDaz

baldrick

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:30:22 PM »

Markecky, Congratulations on your 1000th post. I think most clubs have large numbers of people arriving at 2.58pm but this is usually due to them coming out of the pub at 2.57pm. In this case this is not an option.

Hulme Robin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:48 PM »

closing pubs?

what a completely over the top reaction

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »

If the message to Pubs is the same as the one I've been told about it was to review their security arrangements and to make their decision based on that. Many pubs, I would assume not knowing the numbers of travelling fans involved decided not to open until 3.00pm

The misunderstanding I believe is because the Police had warned licensees that, in the event of problems, they would be exercising their powers to close already open pubs tomorrow

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:02:44 AM »

Just feel its a shame that the police need to get involved in this, as a licence to sell alcohol is issued by a magistrate to a proper and fit person who surely should be allowed the judgement of who he/she serves, or allows on the premises. Who compensates these people for loss of trade? To me it is the police using dubious powers to make their life easier at the cost of businesses, local people and visitors to our town, all because of a reputation of a few nutters who will be unlikely to travel. Say there was trouble, it would most likely to be in one pub, easily controllable, so a blanket stop all policy? Seems to me licencees have been bullied into this.

We still have to pay them for their "efforts" too. Shame on GMP.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »

I think, if what snippets I've heard are correct, were that the police said 'have people on the door to control who to let in because we're not going to spend the day coming around sorting out any problems and we'll just shut you for the rest of the day if there is any, maybe closing til 3pm would help that' serves people who aren't coming to the game right if you ask me  ;D

I believe the actual match day commander is a lttle surprised at the reaction as in an ideal world he would have all the Millwall fans in Alty early and all either in the Porterhouse or the King George. Now they will be in Manchester and virtually any stop along the tram line at all different times.

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »

Not sure your right there about fit and proper people holding alicence...... i've got one

Its a massive overeaction from the same trafford/gmp force that handles 75,000 evry other week. must be they are worried about the return of the ARS or something
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team