PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Burton Albion
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Burton Albion  (Read 9505 times)

louise1925

Re: Burton Albion
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »

I think that was our best performance of the season without a shadow of a doubt. Every player played his heart out, exemplified by the display of Warren Peyton as the ball winner in the centre of midfield. We began with an attacking team, yet defended brilliantly against one of the best teams in the league. Tinson and Shotton were outstanding, but so were the other defenders. Yes, we are short of a good supply route to our strikers, but a point against that lot is a job well done. There was far more balance in the team tonight and it was a real pleasure to see Burton on the back foot at the end of the first half. I hope this display signifies a change to our fortunes. Well done everyone and roll on Saturday.

altyf

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 10:50:49 PM »

It was a very tight game played very compact and two teams, both quite defensive and looking to try and get that one goal. And I think one goal for either side at any point would have won the game tonight. Like you say, we were exellent at the back, Shotton fully deserved MOM again!!! (what a player!) Tinson was also outstanding and the midfield seemed much more balanced to me...with Sedge the play maker, Logan attacking down the flank and Peyton quite strong and defensive. Still unsure about the strike force but can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong  ???

I think Burton showed why they are a top 8 side in the first and last 10 minutes but in between it was an extremelely close game and both teams deserved a point, nothing more, nothing less.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 11:16:46 PM »

The first half was a very entertaining game from both sides, with Logan being the biggest threat.

The second half was not. We just seem to lump it forward, missing out the whole midfield. The basically led Sedgemore and Logan being spectators.

A good point though against a side that will challange for a play off spot, unlike  R&D, Oxford and Grays who won't.
Full time and proud of it

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 12:18:42 AM »

It was a fairly interesting game tonight, considering that neither side actually had an attempt on target apart from a late Clare snapshot that Acton fumbled/stretched full lenght to/tipped round the post.

We played well  in that Logan stretched them in the first half. In the second hald they swopped players round and doubled up on him but in some ways that was what we were saying at the weekend, it preoccupied them. Shotton was very calm but Tinson was a rock. Scotty had a good game as did Warren. I agree that we were slightly lacking going forward but if we play like that more often it will come.

Burton didn't play like a team on a ten game unbeaten run and maybe a better side would have punished us. Likewise (and a colleague from Burton agreed) we lacked the confidence to push on and win the game. But that is understandable and a decent point at home has stemmed the bleeding somewhat.

I'm happier tonight in that we played our best two upfront, played a winger and didn't just sit back. We're at a low ebb and it's one small step at a time I think.

Laney and Lawton were steady as well. If we can get a similar result (nevermind performance) at a really tough away game at Salisbury on Staurdya I'll be well ahppy.

Long way to go.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 08:48:36 AM »

A good, well deserved point.

However, Peyton is not a central midfielder. He just cannot execute simple passes and when we struggle in midfield as we always do, it's just not good enough.

Anyone know why Pottsy came on on the left? He was wasted there and we missed the opportunity to get Lawton in the middle and Peyton in his much preferred wide role.

Overall, much more encouraging - our defence looked class, we just need to do something about midfield/service to the strikers.

Any idea how long Whalley is going to be out?

Jenga

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

Anyone know why Pottsy came on on the left? He was wasted there and we missed the opportunity to get Lawton in the middle and Peyton in his much preferred wide role.

I would agree that it would have been better to see that set up, but we were pretty much holding our own and perhaps GH thought lets not change too much and risk losing the pattern of play and just swap for one, keeping everyone else doing the same as they had been all game.

So possibly GH did make the right decision here  ???

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »

Ballers, I agree with your overall summary, however Accy made two superb saves at the end and we had a decent shot in the first. Sedgemores free kick must have been close? Also Peyton had 2/3 shots blocked which appeared on target.

The long balls second half were annoying though and a point each was fair, all the players in my opinion gave 100%

Carlos looked dangerous but there is no end product i.e. a decent shot or good cross.

crossie

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

Just like to say last nights proformance was much improved. We attacked well in the first half and we were unlucky to grap a goal. What i was disapointed about was our chances that we wasted durring free kicks. Second half we didnt attack as well, but yet again we could have grapped another goal. Burton didnt play particularly well and they were very jammy. A wel thought point i feel however, 3 would have been even better

louise1925

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »

Replying to Jenga above, GH certainly did make the right decision to keep Warren Peyton in the centre. The guy was biting at Burton midfielders all evening, denying them the space to create anything for their own attackers. It was no coincidence that we looked a more solid unit last night. We've needed an effectively aggressive ballwinner for some time. The fact that Warren was playing in front of two central defenders brimming with confidence was also particularly helpful. Add to that, the performance of the two full backs and the keeper in difficult conditions and you might say that we will be harder to score against from now on. On the creative side, we are struggling a little. Sedge just isn't as good as Whalley and we still need a finisher in the team. Carr and Allan from Vics? We can dream anyway!

penfold

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »

Last night was one of our best home proformances that i have seen in a while. We were very unlucky not to walk away with all three points. Logan had a great game in the first half; that run he made from our his own half and then skilled a few player to have a shot would have been the best goal Moss Lane would have seen in years. Second half out defence was strong making some excelent clearences.
I think we will have gained a great deal of confidence from that game, and hopfully we will take all 3 points from Sailsbury on Saturday.

altyf

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 05:59:04 PM »

Salisbury will be extremely tough, they look extremely solid and I dont think their position in the table is a fluke....back to last night though, I think Peyton in the centre is always beneficial, he gives a but of strength and ties things together and as I said before it gives the midfield some balance.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »

Salisbury will be extremely tough, they look extremely solid and I dont think their position in the table is a fluke....back to last night though, I think Peyton in the centre is always beneficial, he gives a but of strength and ties things together and as I said before it gives the midfield some balance.
We might have a chance though ... haven't they lost a few on the bounce now?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altyf

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »

Yes in quite high scoring games (4-3 against Burton and 4-2 last night), but I'm not sure that is a god thing. It's one of those where I dont really want them to be on a roll but on the other hand, having lost a few on the trot they may have extra motivation.

crossie

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:17 PM »

Will be an interesting game to watch. We want the vital 3 points and they want go get over previous losses. I think a few goals might be in store for us!

louise1925

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »

Let's face it, 0-0 will be fantastic.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Burton Albion