News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Charity Game yesterday

Author Topic: Charity Game yesterday  (Read 2262 times)

dawno

Charity Game yesterday
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »

Will there be a Dvd of the game from yesterday??? ???

malcolm

Re: Charity Game yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »

Will there be a Dvd of the game from yesterday??? ???

Yes definatly !!!!.

dawno

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:03:55 PM »

Can i please have 1 didnt get to see the game. Thanks :)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »

Messenger report www.thisistrafford.co.uk
Aussie rules at charity game
By Connor Murphy
Comment
LORD'S, Old Trafford, The Gabba, The MCG.

Now cricket legend Glenn McGrath can add Moss Lane to the list of sporting arenas he has graced during a glittering career.

The former Australian paceman graced the hallowed turf at Altrincham FC's home ground alongside an all-star supporting cast at a charity football match on Sunday.

A McGrath XI, which included footballing legends Bryan Robson and Peter Reid, took on the All Stars, a team of TV soapstars, to raise money for Altrincham FC and the McGrath Foundation, a breast cancer charity set up by Glenn's wife Jane.

McGrath's bizarre connection with the Blue Square Premier club came about after the club's chairman Geoff Goodwin chauffeured the Aussie team around England during their 2005 Ashes tour.

Goodwin, who also owns the Go Goodwins coach firm, struck up lasting friendships with several of the cricketing superstars and McGrath was only too happy to pledge his support to the charity match and a sportsman's dinner that is estimated to have raised more than £30,000 for the two causes.

"I had to come over because we've had a connection with Altrincham for a while now, with Geoff being our coach driver when we were over here for the Ashes," McGrath told SAM Sport.

"Geoff's a great guy, friendly, down to earth and he loves a good time. The boys in the Australian cricket team are relaxed and we just got on really well."

In the game itself, the McGrath XI fought back from a 4-1 deficit to draw 4-4 after 90 minutes, goals coming from former Aussie cricketer Michael Bevan, rugby league star Brad Drew and ex-Alty striker Rod Thornley, who showed why he was such a favourite at Moss Lane with two classy strikes.

The match went to penalties and although McGrath missed his, striking the woodwork with as much venom as he used to knock out stumps, his team won 4-2, Robson scoring the winning spot kick.

It was the first time McGrath had graced a football pitch with his talents and, despite some early nerves, he was pleased with his performance.

He said: "It was an awesome afternoon. It was my first game of football ever so I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be.

"I've only ever mucked around in training and kicked a ball about. My skills and control are pretty poor so hopefully I didn't look too bad out there.

"It was just an awesome day, the turnout today and the way the boys played. For all the guys to give their time up to play is great, it couldn't have been a better day."

Meanwhile Goodwin was left overwhelmed by the support the event had received.

"It was a great day," said Goodwin. "I'm lost for words really. It was a good turnout and I'm really pleased that all the celebrities got involved to help such a good cause.

"Hopefully it will put this club back on the map.

"My wife Suzanne did a great job of organising the event and there's so many people to thank, Julie Badrick and Mike Oakes putting so much work into it, and Yorkshire Bank and Virgin for sponsoring it.

"A lot of people did a lot of good things on Sunday and that's what this club is all about."

5:27pm today

now i also get peaked for posting something positive about the club.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:09:50 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:51 AM »

"It was a great day," said Goodwin. "I'm lost for words really. It was a good turnout and I'm really pleased that all the celebrities got involved to help such a good cause.

"Hopefully it will put this club back on the map."

I hadn't realised that we had slipped off it....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »

Perhaps he was looking at a map of Conference North clubs?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Charity Game yesterday