Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last time I had felt like this before an Alty match was...

Author Topic: The last time I had felt like this before an Alty match was...  (Read 4057 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:55:10 PM »

... when we were due to play Witton Albion at Moss Lane in season 93/94.  They were stone last and came  to Moss Lane and won 3-1.

And that calamatous result did not destroy our season...so let's enjoy Saturday's win and take solace from the fact we're off the mark!

Alty365

Re: The last time I had felt like this before an Alty match was...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

I got Roy Keane's autograph at that game. That was pretty much the high point of the afternoon!  :(

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »

Has Roy Keane sold his House in Hale
Harold

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:15:06 PM »

no the family still live there and he has a pad up in sunderland too

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »

Perhaps the Spurs game...but think largely because a bunch of locals told us "It's a good job your non-league or you would be getting a right hiding".

penfold

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »

That wasnt a very nice thing to say on such a big occasion for us, i condem all violence in football because it just destroys the atmospher of a game. What im saying is think banter and slagging fans off is alright but when fans go out to cause trouble an kick the sh*t out of away supporter thats not football its mindless holligans!

Alex

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »

no the family still live there and he has a pad up in sunderland too

andy i'm very worried about you first u stalk gavin and his new car, then there was the whole pat mcfadden (cheat) thing, and now u know about keane's family life

markecky

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »

Perhaps the Spurs game...but think largely because a bunch of locals told us "It's a good job your non-league or you would be getting a right hiding".

I think the reason they said that, and I love this soooo much, is that we just did what we always did at matches..  All met up in the pub outside the ground.  Which just happened to be the main spurs lads pub that no away fan had dared venture into for many years. 

We piled 100 in there, took over the vault, singing like mad and they were completed shocked.

Eventually they found us quite novel and decided not to individually beat us.  PNE take note.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:20:51 PM »

... when we were due to play Witton Albion at Moss Lane in season 93/94.  They were stone last and came  to Moss Lane and won 3-1.

And that calamatous result did not destroy our season...so let's enjoy Saturday's win and take solace from the fact we're off the mark!

Walking home after that depressing 3-1 defeat against Witton in February 1994, I was convinced that relegation that season was inevitable.

However, a rapid change of manager from Rowlands to King transformed us and we ended up in 10th position.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »

I think the reason they said that, and I love this soooo much, is that we just did what we always did at matches..  All met up in the pub outside the ground.  Which just happened to be the main spurs lads pub that no away fan had dared venture into for many years. 

We piled 100 in there, took over the vault, singing like mad and they were completed shocked.

Eventually they found us quite novel and decided not to individually beat us.  PNE take note.

IIRC, it was largely because of a chant we had at the time "Cantona eats garlic, Giggs is f***ing queer, We are Alty FC, we're only after beer!" which they found quite chortlesome and made it fairly obvious that we

a) weren't UTd fans looking for trouble   
b) were just Alty
c) as Ecky says, clearly just soooo naive that there would have been no fun on battering us.

Also, I believe it was on the BRoadwater Farm estate which as some of the older ones amongst you will know is an unbeliveably infamous area of London. I think they were shocked we were there in the first place never mind anything else.

And to show how naive we were we went into the main Preston firms pub two years later. "You've got 10 minutes to finish your drinks and go" was misinterpreted as 'oh it must be shutting, lasties soon' and some of us preceded to order some halves. This didn't go down too well and needless to say we didn't quite finish them.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »

1 Roy Keans place was built on the site of the old Hale cinema which was aslo used in the kids TV series Granddad staring Clive Dunn(dads army fame)
2 My father went to White Hart lane when Alty played Spurs and he said the Spurs fans made the Alty fans feel at home and some even took him into the club bar for a pint,same thing happened against Orient when they were OLD FIRST div after Ralph Coates equilised for them at Moss Lane.
Harold

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »

Clive Dunn wasn't in Fame. FACT.

DarrenH

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

You sure ?? wasn't he the one playing the keyboards ?

thegazelle

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »

I beg to differ ( my theory maybe out of date) roy keane lives on Bankhall lane hale cinema was on corner of willowtree and ashley road and is old peoples flats

White hart lane second time round a very funny day out on the railway booze and Album cover bus.
vivid memory, and there are not many, of 27,000 people singing who ate all the pies at me as i remonstrated about some youth being thrown out for nothing , somehow i ended up topless a nd orchestrating the singing,How a well respected member on this board  managed to drive that bus is still a mystery the atmosphere was thick

happy happy days,
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team