PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 From the Messenger
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: From the Messenger  (Read 7386 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
From the Messenger
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »

Heathcote stands firm
By Connor Murphy
Comment
GRAHAM Heathcote insists he will stand firm in the face of criticism from fans.

There have been calls for the Alty manager's head after Tuesday's 3-0 home defeat to Cambridge made it 10 games without a win.

But Heathcote is confident he is still the man to lead the Robins to Blue Square Premier survival.

advertisement
 Speaking exclusively to SAM Sport, he said: "All the people who are giving me one or two games to turn things around can play football manager if they want but I'm still confident in my ability.

"When this club were fourth bottom of the Unibond, who was brought in to turn things around? So if I was good enough for the job then, why should I not have the self-belief to think I can get it right this time.

"We have a bigger picture to look at. We've pulled this club out of the mire and want to sustain it playing at the highest level possible.

"I have been in these situations before and there's not a fan out there who will detract from my self-belief.

"If I was to leave this club it wouldn't be the end of Graham Heathcote in football. So why should I walk away from this situation just to walk straight into another one?"

Heathcote also has the backing of chairman Geoff Goodwin, who claimed he would leave the club himself if the Robins boss were forced out the door.

"Some fans have got short memories," said Goodwin.

"They need to look at what we have achieved at this club over the last five years and not be so negative. Graham is Altrincham FC."

After Tuesday's defeat, Heathcote will be looking to bring in loan players to bolster his ailing squad.

He added: "We've got to get our heads down and find answers to some major problems.

"Clearly we have major problems up front. We have always relied on Colin Little to score goals so when he had a tough time we were always going to struggle.

"The solution now is to borrow some players from league clubs but that's not a long-term solution, it's just a stop-gap."

Alty365

Re: From the Messenger
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

So we've got a striker who will leave if Graham leaves, a Chairman who will leave if the manager leaves and he also believes that the manager "is Altrincham F.C."

So, pats on the back all round then for a job well done. It's all about egos and that is a very sad state of affairs. I wonder how much they want to alienate the fans before waking up and smelling the roses. I feel insulted by that article and feel tempted to just stay away all together until this circus gets sorted out.

STOP TREATING THE FANS LIKE IDIOTS.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »

Altrincham FC has been around for 100 plus years. 

Its is not about one man at all. 

Regardless of anyones achievements at the club, the club is bigger than anyone one person.

I think we need to appoint a PR consultant with the chequers money.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »

Heathcote also has the backing of chairman Geoff Goodwin, who claimed he would leave the club himself if the Robins boss were forced out the door.

OK then, hands up everyone who was waiting for this oh-so familiar statement.

Altrincham FC is not about one person.

Will the Chairman be changing our name to FC Heathcote next?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

Shows a complete lack of respect for the supporters implying they will shut up shop if they don’t have it all there own way. The fans have done more for this club than anyone FACT   :-[ 

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »

Agreed.  I think Graham and Geoff have done a brilliant job over the past few years, but nobody in particular can ever be referred to as Altrincham FC.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »

Holding the club to Ransom ??

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »

Consider us relegated then  >:(

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

Christ! Where has all this doom and gloom come from? Why are we arguing amongst ourselves? We are in a position almost everyone expect us to be in? The players and management are only human, they make mistakes. They are doing their best. Likewise the supporters are doing their best to help the club. So why the pointless arguing?
They really should be beating teams like us

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:24:53 PM »

Its not the position but why we are are there !

I know I'll annoy people cos I keep saying it but I just want ALTRINCHAM FC TO COMPETE !!

Can I just add as the plaque says ... "The Past does not equal the future" IF the worst came to the worst ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:45:39 PM by gazwarrington »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »

A FEW THINGS HERE

But Heathcote is confident he is still the man to lead the Robins to Blue Square Premier survival.

Good, I'm glad to hear it. However, please lets make sure we don't get confidence and stubborness confused

"When this club were fourth bottom of the Unibond, who was brought in to turn things around? So if I was good enough for the job then, why should I not have the self-belief to think I can get it right this time.

Abso-f**king-lutely Graham! I still (just about) believe in you for one, so why don't you. Why all the other teams are getting better and we can't tripe? Why the negative sides? HAVE SOME BELIEF IN YOURSELF, HAVE SOME BELIEF IN THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE and finally, HAVE SOME BELIEF IN US! We know the league is difficult but any criticism you are getting is because people think you have given up the ghost of trying to get at teams, making Moss Lane a fortress etc? We can't win attacking so we'll just try and compete and die a slow painful death.

As remarked by a cambridge fan tuesday, any other club in the country and you'd be crucified. Maybe GH should go play football manager for a bit until his confidence comes back.

"Some fans have got short memories," said Goodwin.
"They need to look at what we have achieved at this club over the last five years and not be so negative. Graham is Altrincham FC."

NO NO NO NO NO AND NO! Graham is not Altrincham FC, neither are you Geoff, nor is anyone individual, be it Jackie Swindells, Noel White, John King, Ken McKenna, Keith Davey, Dennis Birch, Hughesy or anyone else you care to mention. In my view this is the one factor that needs to be addressed.

And I can assure you, fans have long memories. We know what the Unibond league is like, we know what the winding up orders are like. Going back there is the last thing anyone wants but the fans are growing tired of the negative defeatist outlook currently given, and by that I mean the (on the face of it) managements attitude that we can't attack cos we'll be picked off so trying to use any of our attacking players is a no no. And nor will fans accept that we are a conference north club, never have, never will and it was your leadership with that attitude that got us back to where we are. We have to have that attitude, no matter how far we travel, how hard it is or how arrogant opposition directors are.

In my view, the last 5 years of this club are as much a success story as any of thh 70s and 80s, but we can't just say that is enough. Do you think anyone kept the faith just so we could come so far and fall back. To suggest that people are negative is bizarre, it exactly the opposite that is causing the problem.

"Clearly we have major problems up front. We have always relied on Colin Little to score goals so when he had a tough time we were always going to struggle.

Well, that's easily solved, if we're having problems up front playing with 2 strikers lets just play with 1 all the time instead (preferably the one with least goal scoring threat). That will increase our chances of scoring

"The solution now is to borrow some players from league clubs but that's not a long-term solution, it's just a stop-gap."

Stop gap it is then, but let's at least try and believe we can stay in this division. Our ambition is only to finish 5th from bottom, not an unrealistic expectation is it!

I've left a lot out of this post but that article is one of the most embarrassing pieces of drivel in this clubs history. If you pull your heads out of the sand for long enough you will realise that peoples heads aren't in the clouds.

Furious.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:32:23 PM by Ballers »

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »

Brilliant post, Ballers.  100% spot on
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:39:33 PM by Bob »

markecky

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »

Post of the season, if not the history of the forum, that is Ballers.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »

Christ! Where has all this doom and gloom come from? Why are we arguing amongst ourselves? We are in a position almost everyone expect us to be in? The players and management are only human, they make mistakes. They are doing their best. Likewise the supporters are doing their best to help the club. So why the pointless arguing?

There's a hell of a difference between being in a relegation battle and picking up 3 points from 30, not least by surrendering so many games in such a limp manner.  That's the difference between this season and last two.  And that's why so many people are getting annoyed and frustrated.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »

I would like to add that I am also furious with that article.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 From the Messenger