PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can the Board help GH at all?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can the Board help GH at all?  (Read 6717 times)

baldrick

Re: Can the Board help GH at all?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »

When there is not enough money some things have to take priority. A goalscorer should be top of the list. Floodlights and new toilets can wait. A big target man is urgently needed. Senior is too small and Joe doesn't score enough goals. It would be worth sacrificing both of them for someone who can guarantee 20 goals a season.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:35 AM »

Well, I know GH wants player rather than floodlights and toilets to be honest. I do too but I suppose we have to look at ourselves and say that Moss Lane is looking a bit dilapidated, we've barely improved it for a decade. Although for me I'd be as happy just  getting the back of the Golf Road pannelled up properly and leave it at that.

Remember too that the floodlights were a means to an end, i.e. we had to improve them if Setanta were going to show our games and give us what was rumoured at the time to be £10-20k per home game. As it is, a) we've been paid up front b) they're not arsed about actually covering our games anyway and c) Carole Nash and fmaily made an extremely generous donation that has covered part of the cost of the flodliglights (perhaps all of it?)

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

Given the state of the roof on certain parts of the popular side and the age of the roof and back of the Golf Road end, how much longer can they last realistically? Surely there will come a point in the not to distant future when some parts of the above are deemed to be unsafe? It's worth thinking about because they are not things which can be replaced cheaply and we would surely be better off being prepared for their eventual replacement rather than panicking if and when certain areas of the ground became "uninhabitable".

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »

A big target man is urgently needed. Senior is too small and Joe doesn't score enough goals. It would be worth sacrificing both of them for someone who can guarantee 20 goals a season.

....... and would be on the way to another team for more money.

teasybeaver

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »

Has anyone thought that the money from land is not ours, we owe it out so therefore its gone in the right direction. We're better off debt free in BSN if you ask me.

Has anyone thought that the reason we can't bring in a top striker for this league is because we average 1,000 at home and that isn't enough to bring in the cash to compete in this league?

It just isn't possible without spending money we currently don't earn. That is the one real reason we cannot bring in more top players. I'm sorry but its obvious and I can't believe nobody has mentioned it in the midst of all the absolute rubbish being banded around!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »

Has anyone thought that the money from land is not ours, we owe it out so therefore its gone in the right direction. We're better off debt free in BSN if you ask me.

Has anyone thought that the reason we can't bring in a top striker for this league is because we average 1,000 at home and that isn't enough to bring in the cash to compete in this league?

It just isn't possible without spending money we currently don't earn. That is the one real reason we cannot bring in more top players. I'm sorry but its obvious and I can't believe nobody has mentioned it in the midst of all the absolute rubbish being banded around!

You're right.  Do people honestly think there's some stash of money at the club that the board are just sitting on and are refusing to spend?  Its the easiest thing in the world to say we should be spending this, spending that - but the money has to come from somewhere.

I also think that its quite right that the money is going on new facilities.  The floodlights were old and unreliable, the toilets are generally antiquated and in poor condition.  The shabby cladding on Golf Road and the Popular Side has already been mentioned.  These things needed to be addressed as they would have caused major issues in the long run had they not been.  Sometimes when spending money you need to look long term too.

baldrick

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »

The club are always trying to attract more supporters with various ideas but the only way to attract bigger crowds on a long term basis is to be successful. A goalscorer is desparately needed. He could be paid for by offloading Joe and Senior, they will never get enough goals to keep the club in the BSP. Ground improvements are important but they are not as urgent as improving the team.

teasybeaver

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »

The club are always trying to attract more supporters with various ideas but the only way to attract bigger crowds on a long term basis is to be successful. A goalscorer is desparately needed. He could be paid for by offloading Joe and Senior, they will never get enough goals to keep the club in the BSP. Ground improvements are important but they are not as urgent as improving the team.

Get rid of Senior? Let the ground decay?

And just out of interest, all of these hoards that will arrive to see our very own George Weah bang them in left, right and centre, where will they piss? Where will they get a beer? How will they feel watching the match on Tuesday night in the dark?

And if super striker proves to be a waste of space, or plays well but never scores (2 major alty striker syndromes) and we go down anyway, that'll be great for the club, we'll have a BSN ground to play our BSN games in, with BSN crowds trying to pay for our swollen 'throw the kitchen sink at it squad'.

There is no money, end of. This current predicament is possibly a thousand times better than the one that included financial mismanagement and about 2 hours short of not actually having an Altrincham FC. It wasn't that long ago.

Jenga

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »

A goalscorer is desparately needed. He could be paid for by offloading Joe and Senior, they will never get enough goals to keep the club in the BSP. Ground improvements are important but they are not as urgent as improving the team.

I really dispair sometimes.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 06:37:22 PM »

Remember what happened when we splashed the cash to sign keith Russell.  Strucure has to be the priority, conference or not I still want a footie team to go and watch in 5 years time.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »

I think it's a bit early to have a go at the team anyway. With 9 new players we're obviously not going to get the best from them immediately, Carlos in particular looks like I'd expect a player to look like in a completely new team, when he learns to find his team mates, he will make a lot of goals for us. And we haven't played any bottom half team at home yet, Grays was the closest, when an injury and sending off didn't help. We are going in the right direction though with a decent wing player (Logan, who I reckon has the potential to be as good as Clayton Donaldson) and (presumably) a proper left back (Clancy?) at last. Little is still scoring when fit, and O Neil was player of the season last season. I think we can still get out of this. Especially if we get some cup money for once.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can the Board help GH at all?