PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Negative Tactics
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Negative Tactics  (Read 4546 times)

andyc

Negative Tactics
« on: September 08, 2007, 06:04:33 PM »

I am sick of the negative tactics from the start of games.  3 most attacking threats on the bench, wait till 1 nil down then change it. O'Neill is not strong enough to be a target man so why play hopeless balls up to him, centre half winning the ball every time. Lawton again on the right, sh*te in this position. The annoying thing is Oxford were very poor and with more positive tactics we could have won this. Whats the point in being negative at home, away from home fair enough. Its the same every week, lets keep it tight until they score then we'll go for it, by which time its too late to win. OK we nearly got a draw today but until Senior came on I don't think Logan knew if he was up front or on the wing. Rant over.

Alty Aylmer

Re: Negative Tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 06:20:37 PM »

I totally agree. Senior and Potts have to start each game, drop whalley or sedgemore, bring Lawton into middle.

dopamine

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »

Don't drop Whalley, he's one of our best passers of the ball and Sedge is always a threat from set pieces and long shots.  Tbh I wasn't that impressed with Peyton today, he didn't create anything and his touch wasn't the best. I'd drop him and play Logan from the start on the left, with Robbie on the right, Sedge and Whalley in the middle and Potts playing just off Senior up front.  He can throw himself about if needed and has the skill to really cause defences problems. It also either draws one of the defenders out to mark him or makes a midfielder drop back leaving more space for Sedge to shoot...

andyc

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »

Lawton on the right, no chance. He always drifts into the middle leaving us with no width.

dopamine

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »

So play Potts there and Colin Little up front with Chris Senior.  Get Senior to drop off and make those darting runs of his and hope Colin can win some of the headers. But then again Colin drifts wide too much so there'd be no presence in the centre. Is Berkeley any good in the air?

louise1925

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »

It doesn't matter a toss what we think. GH will continue to play Azza at left back, no wingers from the start and Joe as the target man with no strength. I agree that Oxford were very unimpressive today and were there for the taking. Sick of seeing us play well and get nothing If we're going to go down, let's do it with a bit of style at least. Does anyone not think Logan is class? Let's leave him and Chris Senior on the bench until we're losing every single game - now that sounds like a good game plan. VERY pissed off. No karma points for me today.

dopamine

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »

I'm a big fan of both Logan and Senior.  Even Potts was more of a threat than Robbie and Wozza!  Asa's alright but what's the point of buying signing a new left back (Clancy) then leaving him out?

radcliffe alty

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »

Joe O Neil should never wear an Alty shirt again.

Alty Aylmer

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »

Asa played well, Lawton in middle if he plays. Potts and Senior simply have to play from the start. Why do we always have to go behind before we start putting our best attacking force on! Ridiculous

dopamine

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 07:20:02 PM »

Because Graeme seems to think that if we go out to attack then we'll just get picked off at the back but it's much more tiring chasing the ball and defending than keeping possesion.  We should be A LOT more attacking especcially at home and more away, though maybe leaving one impact player on the bench to use against the opposition's tiring legs especcially against the other part time sides.  Add Logan to the list of must starts...

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 10:34:46 PM »

Joe O Neil should never wear an Alty shirt again.
Bit harsh was it not O Neil who managed to get us a point on tuesday
@AltyDaz

flaggerN

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »

"Joe O Neil should never wear an Alty shirt again."

What a load of bull. He is our joint top scorer

thegazelle

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »

i'll have my say

after only watching the second half at stafford , i watched the whole match today and even saw the kick off due to the new no serving in the bar rule (whats that all about )
so having remembered what a kick off actually is i think i can safely say i was very impressed by the improvment all round on stafford

i bow to those who have watched more than me but didnt think azza did that bad a job despite playing out of position.
i think our major problem is we are too light weight up front joe oniel does put alot of effort in but is too easily dislodged and colin seems to have to come back too much he is better running onto the ball. mid field my jury is out but whalley looks like he could be a class act . sedge got more involved when we were going forwartd and i think we all agree lawton is better in the middle. if pottsy cant do a full game i think he is better 2nd half and logan looks a class act.

but i think we have to attack attack attack particularly in future games against the smaller teams

turned into a ramble that but i think we was quite good today
 but first and foremost we need to get that bar rule sorted out
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:01:26 PM by thegazelle »

radcliffe alty

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 01:01:16 AM »

"Joe O Neil should never wear an Alty shirt again."

What a load of bull. He is our joint top scorer

Ok, perhaps a little harsh in the heat of the moment, but joint scorer or not, he is garbage at the moment and need to be dropped. I've said this before, but his strongest attributes (and what endeared him to me last season) are his endevour, effort and running which made up for his lack of skill and prowess in front of goal. I have seen none of this this season - he seems to be resting on his laurels knowing that GH will pick him each week. He isn't running, he isn't sharp and he is just coming accross as lazy to me this season. If I was Chris Senior I'd be fuming that I'm getting 10 minutes every game while Joe is getting to saunter about doing f**k all for 90 mins.

Drop O Neil. Play him in the reserves and make him EARN his place in the starting 11. Are we really going to miss him that much?

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:11:25 AM »

If we played 2 wingers in our next home game the worse we could do is  err let me think, i know we could lose,so maybe worth a go,but remember Graham is the manager so its upto him,but with Potts on one wing and Logan on the other,it will give us the width but then who to have in attact with Little,i know it sounds silly but how about a centre half up there to win the balls in the air and either flick ons for Col or have a go themselves,but i think Colin needs someone to feed him.
Harold
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Negative Tactics