PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best We have played this season
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best We have played this season  (Read 5677 times)

RocketDan

« on: September 01, 2007, 07:42:37 PM »

Logan Looked fantastic down the left, he wasnt afraid to take players on and put in a good ball.
Potts was superb down the right and we really should have scored late on.
Senior did really well upfront, but i though Joe had a bad game and didn't do anything.

We should have had a penalty but we got to stop blaming the ref, because today like grays and Stafford, Aldershot looked very average and were there for the taking.
I'd say its the best I have seen us play this season and it was the only time i felt optimistic at half time. I was impressed at the midfield, who passed it around really well, and also dominated down the flanks.

We just need someone to step up to the plate and grab a few goals, unfortunately I don't Pat or Joe are the men for the job.

Altysmiffy

Re: Best We have played this season
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:09:39 PM »

We just need someone to step up to the plate and grab a few goals, unfortunately I don't Pat or Joe are the men for the job.
I presume we can still get non contract players?

Can we offer contracts to players who play in different leagues (i.e. Unibond), in the same way one or 2 of our lads have played for Leek. I'm thinking of the Curzon Ashton lad who had a couple of trial games if he starts knocking a few in wherever he is.

altyf

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »

there must be someone from the lower leagues who could do us a job!!!

starjammer

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »

I think we need to get a grip of the obvious here..
We ripped Aldershot apart, and could have scored a hatfull, but as has been understated elsewhere, we lacked a goal scorer.
Can't say I've ever got the big deal about Joe O'Neill, but today he was dreadful - jogging along alongside his marker all afternoon! He does next to no running off the ball, and is never in the right place at the right time!! We can make good crosses all day, but Joe won't be on the end of them, and midfielders can look to play into space, but Joe won't be there
And to top it all our biggest threat Senior is taken off, when O'Neill has not been in the game all afternoon.
Sure he tries and holds the ball up, etc, etc, but call me old fashoined, but I think a striker should be able to 'read' the game and score goals
Great effort today, but something is really, really lacking. Seemed kind of obvious to me!!  ::)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »

The one thing we lacked today was........Colin Little!!!!

He got sent off last week because he was frustrated he wasn't getting any service.If he was on that pitch today he would have had 2,maybe more.Unfortunately,Colin is our only natural goalscorer,and GH has tried all summer to change that,but to no avail. If we played like we did today next week against Oxford,with Colin back in the side,I think we can get something out of the game.From what I've seen of Oxford on Setanta,they are not as good as last season.

Maybe Joe is just a slow starter to the season.Rewind back 12 months ago and you'll probably find the same criticism that he doesn't run,hold the ball,get into decent scoring positions etc.I agree he has been poor so far,but you don't go from player of the year to an absolute duff overnight.I'd like to see a side with Senior and Little upfront,with O'Niell tucked in just behind them.Unlikely I know,but would be interesting to see what an attacking threat that formation could be.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 09:48:07 PM »

I think we need to get a grip of the obvious here..
We ripped Aldershot apart, and could have scored a hatfull, but as has been understated elsewhere, we lacked a goal scorer.
Can't say I've ever got the big deal about Joe O'Neill, but today he was dreadful - jogging along alongside his marker all afternoon! He does next to no running off the ball, and is never in the right place at the right time!! We can make good crosses all day, but Joe won't be on the end of them, and midfielders can look to play into space, but Joe won't be there
And to top it all our biggest threat Senior is taken off, when O'Neill has not been in the game all afternoon.
Sure he tries and holds the ball up, etc, etc, but call me old fashoined, but I think a striker should be able to 'read' the game and score goals
Great effort today, but something is really, really lacking. Seemed kind of obvious to me!!  ::)

Nail hit firmly on head.

Well said.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

Agree too. It's very harsh indeed, but Joe simply not good enough.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »

I'd also add that a complete inabilty to do the basics of defending, not getting tackles in when needed, is also contributing to our downfall. Both Aldershot goals, whilst good finishes, should have been stopped. Tinson was not MOM.

Joe needs to be dropped and to earn his place in the side. The fact he is almost guaranteed to be starting seems to have removed his strongest attribute last season: effort and running. None of that this season: complete contrast to Chris Senior, who was man of the match by a mile for me. Senior will no doubt be rewarded for his effort and skill by losing his place in the side this week. And PLEASE can we start with Colin Potts? Brilliant today but I doubt we'd have seen him until the 86th minute had Logan not gone off injured.

altyf

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 12:16:45 PM »

Like I;ve said before, Potts deserved a place in the side but simply cant play the full 90 mins and so we have to decide whether its best to bring him on when we get tired to add some spice...or to start him but take him off...I thought Tinno had a great game, Senior probbly would have been my MOM if hed have played the full 90 but I thought Tinson was fantastic...You're right about the goal, we just stood off him, but it was sedgemores fault, he was extremely slow in preventing it!! I watched him dawdle on the ball!!

Alty Aylmer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »

I thought Senior was excellent as well and I was very encouraged how we played. It was exciting stuff for once! Agree with everything being said about a poacher. Warren Peyton had at least 3 chances from 3 yards out, all he had to do was put his foot through it. Lack of confidence? But how good does that Logan look? There was an air of excitement everytime he got the ball and ran at their defense. I think we are moving in the right direction but we got to tighten up the defense. Chris Lane again was brilliant. We played so well and were BETTER than Aldershot but sloppy defending and not having that killer edge up front has cost us again. Senior and Little start and give Potts more than 20 mins. We'll get that win!

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »

Potts should start at home FACT

bighairedmike

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »

Like I;ve said before, Potts deserved a place in the side but simply cant play the full 90 mins and so we have to decide whether its best to bring him on when we get tired to add some spice...or to start him but take him off...I thought Tinno had a great game, Senior probbly would have been my MOM if hed have played the full 90 but I thought Tinson was fantastic...You're right about the goal, we just stood off him, but it was sedgemores fault, he was extremely slow in preventing it!! I watched him dawdle on the ball!!

That is true. Personally i would start him ad see what he can do and then bring him off when he gets too tired. I think this is better than bringing him on later on when we could possibly be chasing the game and relying on him to get us a goal to get us back in the match. Thats my personal opinion but...

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

For me, Pottsy would be more effective in the first 20 mins when we are at our most threatening attacking wise. Unfortunately, bringing him on in the second half with 20-15 mins to go when the rest of the team are looking pretty tired and, if we're losing, some of their heads have dropped means that the opportunites he creates are more likely to be wasted. When was the last time we won a game after going a goal down? We are more likely to win if we score first...our record over recent seasons shows that. Therefore, certainly at home anyway, we need to start with our most attack minded players.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 04:17:33 PM »

Although still gutted we didn't all 3 pts let alone 1, I feel that we will come good. It was the best 90 mins all season by a distance, had Little played it would have been a comfortable victory.

For me MOM was Munroe with Senior a close 2nd (why he was subbed I know not)

Highlight of the day was Carlos Logan, don't know where in Brazil he was born but bless all who live there. He looked a very entertaining and effective asset, however he needs some tape at the of his socks so he's not permanantly messing with them. Top barnet as well!

Full time and proud of it

Altyant

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »

Logan was awesome however again (just like when we had Bowler) he was out wide on the left, and yet we didnt look to play the ball to him.

Any new on his injury yet?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team