PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's game
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 4479 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Today's game
« on: August 27, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »

A good turn out and appreciated by GH and the team.

Well we should have won, and that penalty was a shocker!! The ref was 50 yards away and the linesman gave it for what?

Both players went for the ball.

better performance although we are stil lightweight upfront

Daycare Dan

Re: Today's game
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »

I think we had the better of the play and on another day would have come away with three points. Whalley looked better further forward, leaving Val/Robbie and Jake to do the grafting. Maybe Whalley, Joe and Senior can all play together on Sat?

It did look a pen to me but I was at the other end of the stand.

cjstafford

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »

Just a few thoughts on today, I thought both teams were devoid of ideas.  We gave you your goal, ours was a defo penalty the guy took his legs I was 15 yards away. On todays showing both sides looked worse than last seasons teams. We are both destined for the drop if that is the best either side can do. Its going to be a long hard season and its going to be between the current bottom 5 for the relegation places I can see the bottom 5 being cast adrift. oh well theres always the AGM.

altyf

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »

Looked an absolute stone wall penalty to me but i was also at the other end! Thought it was Actons fault, he should have come for the ball, he obviously thought rosey was going to make it to the ball first and pass it back. Dont blame him too much because he had another good game and im a fan of acton. Was impressed with Whalley further forward and it was great work by him for the goal. Lawton and potts were fantastic in those positions. Sedge and Rosey were abismal but over all, played lads...the better team, deserved a win! But we've got to realise, whilst it was better today improvements need to be made and theres a long season ahead of us...if we dont improve wel go down...come on ALTY!!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:14:12 PM by altyf »

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

Just a few thoughts on today, I thought both teams were devoid of ideas.  We gave you your goal, ours was a defo penalty the guy took his legs I was 15 yards away. On todays showing both sides looked worse than last seasons teams. We are both destined for the drop if that is the best either side can do. Its going to be a long hard season and its going to be between the current bottom 5 for the relegation places I can see the bottom 5 being cast adrift. oh well theres always the AGM.

I think this is a pretty accurate account; however i must say we were massivley improved from Saturday and edged it today.

We have got lots and lots to work on...
Come on you red and white........

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »

Certainly looked like a clear penalty from where I was standing.

I went to Stafford thinking that a 0-0 draw was probably the best that we could hope for.....but came away believing that we had missed out on a golden opportunity to record an away win. 

I thought that Stafford (except for their two giants at the back, McAughtrie and Daniel) were awful and only got into the game courtesy of a defensive blunder by Rose and Acton.

We had the better of the second half but just don't look threatening as an attacking proposition.
Only Sedgemore's free kick really tested their keeper.

Alas, I suspect that both these teams will be playing each other next season in the Blue Square North.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:31:19 PM »

Again, really dont want to admit it but its true...as you say we didnt look threatening enough on the attack, but for me the saddest thing for me was we really could have threatened if wed have put 2 strikers on with 30 mins left when we started to play well and we could have had a real go at them and dominated  the 2nd half even more than we did...also, senior must have been ust getting frustrated by that stage, and not only must he have been knackered because he was a lone striker in a part time team but also against defenders twice the size of him

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

Stafford's five year old mascot was almost as tall as Chris Senior!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 07:46:58 AM »

Stafford's five year old mascot was almost as tall as Chris Senior!

I thought senior worked hard and did well considering the height disadvantage.
Come on you red and white........

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:12:02 AM »

I've put this on the mind numbing thread, but I'll put it on here as well I think.

iw ouldn't say today was a mind numbing performance. I'm as pessimistic as anyone, even when we're good, but today was an improvement. We passed it quite well and showed a bit of threat going forward, Segdemore and Whalley had their best games in an Alty shirt. Lane was absolutely tremendous again and Senior worked his socks off. We looked decent with Pottsy on in the second half in a 5 man midfield and Lawton playing well as the right hand side of the middle three.

I've given Robbie a bit of a slating recently but today he played well in the first 20 mins when he psuhed very far forward and we were playing almost 4-3-3 at times, not so well after that when he reverted back to his normal position with obvious results but agaian a good second half in the new formation. I have a theory that I'll share with you later.

To be honest, its a shame we conceded the penalty, a misunderstandin between 2 players who haven't played regularly so far (Rosey looked like it was his first game for years, never mind this season). Up til this point we were in control and Staffor dhad looked like a bottom of the league side. After there goal they got a lift and caused us a couple of problems, as well as becoming more physical. I think they're trying to become more of a conference side but it's at the expense of what has served them well.

Two average part time teams, completely shorn of confidence in a game that had either lost would have been soul destroying. We looked nervous as hell at the back. Had we not had such a bad start I firmly believe we would have got 3 points today, they were there for the taking ( I think Grays actually were on Sat too) but I can see why we didn't quite capitalise. A shame really as they'll struggle too. Last season of course if we had drawn either of our 2 defeats agaianst Stafford we'd have stayed up so that's one positive. Having said this, Staffs could say very similar on there forum I suspect.  :-\

But just to add in response to whoever said sedge was abismal today, he settled play down a lot. I've been unconvinced largely but he played decent enough today.

altyf

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »

He wasnt abismal, they were too strong words and I take them back, I thought he was execellent on the ball and on a few occassions turned defense to attack with one ball out wide, but he was very slow and seemed uninterested tracking back and defensively I just wish he could make more effort...on the match as a whole, thought 5 in midfield was the right option and very effective but wish we could have put a second striker on mid-second half to really have a go at them...that could have won us the game in my opinion!

cjstafford

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »

A few more thoughts, sorry to be so pessimistic from your point of view. That was our worst performance of the season by far. You only caused me concern once in the second half, the free kick other than that you were toothless going forward (we were worse).
If that was an improvement on sat you have as many problems as we currently have.
From our point of view we have actually played well in some games without taking our chances, monday  we were pants.
It looked like a conf north game to me which it no doubt will be next year.  :(

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »

Silly mistakes are costing us points at the moment. Point proven by giving you a penalty to get back in the game, before that I didn't think you looked dangerous at all and we controlled the game. We passed better than you and created more chances.

I don't think we have as many 'problems' as you too be honest as we were an away team in a surely "Must win" match for yourselves at home. You looked very poor which was great for myself to see.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »

A few more thoughts, sorry to be so pessimistic from your point of view.

Hell, don't beat yourself up about that on this forum at the moment CJ!  ;)

cjstafford

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »

No worries, just glad I could be of help ;D
Glad our forum has been down the last couple of days as it may have got a bit nasty after mondays effort or lack of   ???
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's game