PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 spineless performance
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: spineless performance  (Read 7341 times)

dino

spineless performance
« on: August 25, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »

we were totally inept today,playing ultra defensively against a very average side. we did not win one header in final two thirds and why things were not changed before final 15 mins is unbelievable. the management should look at themselves,as this bunch of players are underperforming.today was not about money or fitness,but creativity ,shape and belief.some of the comments thrown from our bench at our players are pathetic

altyf

Re: spineless performance
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »

In my opinion we honestly have better players than last season, but the desire just seems to have gone, theres no grit or determination that made people fear us at the lane!!
We need to start with a different attitude, an attitude like we're lucky to have been given a reprieve and now that we've been given another chance in this league theres nothing to lose so lets just have a fu**ing go at teams when we're 1-0 down and nothing to lose. COME ON ALTY...GET YOUR HEADS UP AND LETS GET THAT FIRST WIN AT STAFFORD AND PUSH ON FROM THERE!!!!!!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

Agree the PPB is missing.

Having said that the majority of teams are above mid table we played. Stafford is a very important game.

Come on Alty

Baggers

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »

I can understand Dino's frustration. The lack of creativity is worrying. Lawton's passing was woeful and Whalley was content to lay the ball off to someone else rather than take responsibility. Val battled away as usual, winning tackles but needs someone to pick up the ball from him before he gives it away again. On the plus side, Lane was excellent and Acton too. Can't see where the goals are going to come from though. Senior and Thornley perhaps?

Altysmiffy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

I can understand Dino's frustration. The lack of creativity is worrying. Lawton's passing was woeful and Whalley was content to lay the ball off to someone else rather than take responsibility. Val battled away as usual, winning tackles but needs someone to pick up the ball from him before he gives it away again. On the plus side, Lane was excellent and Acton too. Can't see where the goals are going to come from though. Senior and Thornley perhaps?

Senior was our best threat by all accounts at FGR, and Rod is a proven goalscorer, even if he cannot last the full match

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »

Rod is a proven goalscorer

I'm sorry....but that's nonsense.

Thornley scored goals in the Unibond and Conference North leagues....but is certainly not a proven goalscorer at this level.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »

Rod is a proven goalscorer

I'm sorry....but that's nonsense.

Thornley scored goals in the Unibond and Conference North leagues....but is certainly not a proven goalscorer at this level.

He only had 12 starts last season, but did score 4 goals. A better average than Joe for instance. He's not had much of a chance

altyf

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »

Whether hes proven at this level or not, hes proved to me in the few games he played last season that he is capable and deserves a start.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »

Thornley has done some great things for Alty but, alas, he just isn't half the player he was and is not the answer at this level.

I certainly don't enjoy writing that...but we simply cannot afford to allow sentiment to affect judgments if we are to have any realistic chance of avoiding relegation this season.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:30 PM »

Its not sentiment, he's as good as we've got with Little out

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »

I also disagree with this assumption that playing Rod would be due to "sentiment" - in my opinion he's consistently been our most threatening goalscorer at all levels he's played in, behind Colin

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 11:40:13 PM »

Rod has the talent and the skill, it will be match fitness that ultimately effects things!

I would certainly give him an hour with senior and Joe.

I also think Acton should keep his place!!

Daycare Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 11:58:03 PM »

I also think Acton should keep his place!!

Come on Dave what has Coburn done wrong to warrant being dropped?  ;)

The problem as I see it is we are not creating chances; I think their keeper had one simple save to make other than the offside goal. If we can't make chances we can't win games.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »

You could agrue that Acton did nothing wrong and he should not be dropped, but he will be.

I thought Scott did well and the team looked better with Peyton upfiield.But Scott will be out for at least 2wks so we're back to square one at left back.

If we don't beat Stafford alarm bells will proper sound.
Full time and proud of it

Daycare Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »

True Acton did nothing wrong, but Coburn is the better keeper, so when available starts for me.

We did look a bit more threatening with Peyton further up the field but are still missing the final ball.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 spineless performance