PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 That Ref......
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: That Ref......  (Read 4252 times)

SammyH8

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
That Ref......
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:46 AM »

Ino it didnt cost the game or anything but how comethe ref didnt send the keeper off when he (according to linesman) delibarately handled the ball outside the area? Surely thats a red card offence??

Also any views on the lawton sending off?  How many games does he  miss?

Foz

Re: That Ref......
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »

Robbie will miss one game for two yellows.

I thought that the keeper was extremely lucky. I can't understand any reason for him not being sent off.

Robbie would have been lucky to stay on. I thought that it was a bookable offence, though, I believe that there were many people around the ground who didn't. That said, I thought that the first booking was very unfortunate, and harsh.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:53:17 AM »

Obviously I wasn't at Halifax so I didn't see the incident with the Goalkeeper but the Laws state that in the opinion of the Referee the Goalkeeper, in handling the ball outside the Penalty area must be denying an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity for it to be a sending off offence. It seems that in this case, in consultation with his Assistant Referee (not Referees Assistant - another one the media get wrong all the time), it was decided that no OBVIOUS opportunity was denied

Unfortunately the commentators and pundits on the telly and in the printed media have been saying since the law amendment that handling the ball outside the area is a straight red card offence....probably because they either couldn't be arsed learning the laws of the game or because making uneducated statements is better press...or both

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »

Originally, from our vantage point miles away I couldn't exactly see that it was handball. However, if it was, the keeper should have gone. Two Alty players were chasing it down, if he hadn't handled it i.e. missed it there would've been an open goal. It was hard to see but once they decided to penalise him he had to go. It was no hardship him staying on hto as he was worlds shakiest.

Robbies was a definate sending off. He launched himself 2 footed from a couple of feet away. So much so that me and Ecky said in union "Jesus Robbie!" before he even got there. Robbie seemed to say he didn't touch the player but that's only cos hit was such a lunge that Doughty (excelentt player him by the way) was able to jump out of the way.

Robbie was going, no complaints had it been a straight red, it was a yellow at best which is what he got. If he hadn't already been booked I think he'd have had a straight red (ref seemed to deem it somewhere between a red and yellow, Orange?  ::))

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »

from the bbc website Halifax committed more fouls than Alty but only got the goalie booked for hand ball,plus one other player,I think he was a homer ref
Harold

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »

Very inconsistent.Didnt give us anything in the first half even when Whalley got clattered from behind (he then got subbed at half time) but gave them a free kick for anything. Bushell got away with a lot. Shocking refereeing and a dodgy linesman at our end (where we were stood) the other linesman was ok though.

Lawtons first yellow was amazingly harsh and his second yellow was obviously for *intent*.

Definately a goal scoring opportunity when their keeper handled the ball so should have been a red card, no two ways about it.

altyf

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

In reference to the keepers handling of the ball, it had to be considered as denying a goalscoring opportunity, because as Balers says, there was an open goal and the fact that someone hit the bar (think it was val) shows that an Alty player got there first and therefore should have gone.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »

I think he was a homer ref

DOH!

The commentaries both seemed to suggest Robbie was good for the 2 yellows.

altyf

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »

The commentaries both seemed to suggest Robbie was good for the 2 yellows.
And they were right, even if the first one wasnt a yellow (cant remember it in all honesty) the second could have got a red so we're lucky he only gets one game suspension instead of 3.

louise1925

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »

Robbie went in two footed with studs raised - no defence whatsoever. The only amazing thing was that the linesman didn't see it! For me, the outstanding player was Chris Senior (well Stuart as well of course) who harrassed their defence from the start. A bit surprised he was subbed, though he looked knackered. Looking forward to FGR.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »

How did Bushell do for Halifax? Did he keep passing to Little and only Little? ;)

altyf

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »

How did Bushell do for Halifax?
Didnt do much at all! Barely noticed him...if he hadnt gone we may never have gone after sedgemore and scored that free kick last night  ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:39:07 PM by altyf »

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »

I thought the referee was fine (other than failing to send their keeper off).
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »

How did Bushell do for Halifax? Did he keep passing to Little and only Little? ;)

He carried on from from last season, yes went mising for 85 mins.

Funniest thing of the night was when flew into Lane and just bounced off like he'd hit a brick wall and landed on his arse.
Full time and proud of it

Foz

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »

Obviously I wasn't at Halifax so I didn't see the incident with the Goalkeeper but the Laws state that in the opinion of the Referee the Goalkeeper, in handling the ball outside the Penalty area must be denying an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity for it to be a sending off offence. It seems that in this case, in consultation with his Assistant Referee (not Referees Assistant - another one the media get wrong all the time), it was decided that no OBVIOUS opportunity was denied
Originally, from our vantage point miles away I couldn't exactly see that it was handball. However, if it was, the keeper should have gone. Two Alty players were chasing it down, if he hadn't handled it i.e. missed it there would've been an open goal.

Thanks for the rules Phil, I was aware of that, however, it is very useful to point them out for anyone who wasn't aware. I perhaps didn't make it clear what I meant.... I couldn't see any argument for how he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity by the hand ball. For me, Senior was the only person who could have got there, and of course, if he had have missed/left the ball, it would have been an open net.

I would be very interested to hear what the ref's explanation was!

Apart from that decision, i agree with Jimmy, I thought he had a reasonable game, you never agree with every decision, but there were not that many I thought were obviously wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 That Ref......