PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The run in
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The run in  (Read 7444 times)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The run in
« on: March 31, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »

Looking at the remaining fixtures there are now, realistically, eight teams vying for the six playoff spots. A victory for us tomorrow could put Oldham out of the picture so it's almost seven (almost!)

Top three is all but settled - it would take a collapse for Bromley and Barnet not to comfortably take the prime playoff spots. Top five, though, is in reach for Alty. With our goal difference, 77 points should be enough for that, possibly 76, which means dropping no more than two points and certainly no more than three if we want home advantage in the first playoff game.

Top seven is starting to look comfortable (whisper it quietly though). 73 points should see us finish in the playoff places, which means dropping no more than six points in our last four games.

Some key six-pointers to look out for over these last three weeks:

1/4 Alty V Oldham (not as crucial as it might seem with Oldham almost out of the picture but a win for Alty would narrow the playoff field and see Oldham cut adrift)

10/4 Halifax V Oldham (an Oldham victory or a draw would be most helpful to us here)

13/4 Barnet V Halifax (With Barnet's top three finish almost assured, a Barnet win would be most helpful here as Halifax are the bigger threat to us but a draw wouldn't hurt either)

13/4 Bromley V Solihull (Again, it's Bromley we'd want to root for as they're too far ahead to catch. A draw would be helpful to us too though)

16/4 Chesterfield V Gateshead (Chesterfield seem determined to end their season with a whimper but they could help us out by taking all three points against Gateshead. Failing that, at least a draw, eigh, Spireites?)
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

nimeta

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: The run in
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 06:04:08 PM »

If we win tomorrow, it would be shocking for us not to make the play-offs given that our remaining 3 games are against sides all in the bottom 6.

Oldham need to come out fighting. They have had a very poor run and this is last chance saloon for them. I have bad memories of the FA Cup game earlier this season which we marginally deserved to win but they came away with a 1-0 victory. Could be a tense afternoon for both sets of fans.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 05:55:39 PM »

Can't be far off being mathematically sure of a play off place if we beat Dorking

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 09:05:15 AM »

Can't be far off being mathematically sure of a play off place if we beat Dorking
Agreed and if others drop points as well that will help.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 11:26:55 AM »

Much like last season's Trophy run (which we obviously conspired to stuff up!), we have a fantastic opportunity here.

Of ALL of the playoff teams, we're the only team that doesn't have a midweek fixture left - with three having an FA Trophy game to contend with.

Even Gateshead, who look well placed on paper to pip Bromley to third, are going to have to due a Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday week.

Halifax in particular look absolutely screwed with four home fixtures left if they can't get their pitch right.

Regardless of which order everyone finishes in, at least a couple of these teams are going to be burned out.

On the other hand, injuries and suspensions to some of our key players at certain points mean they're probably going to be fresher than most - Regan Linney especially.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 11:41:56 AM »

I'd say that we're likely to finish 5th. That will mean one bumper crowd in the play offs and then (fingers crossed) a trip to Barnet in the semis. Can we actually finish with a crowd average approaching 2500?

Look whatever the outcome, we have done remarkably well this season and massively exceeded expectations. I'm pretty sure that we are all exceptionally proud of this fabulous team and just enjoying the ride at the moment. Love everything about our club - long may it continue.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 11:47:44 AM »

I think 4th place is more than feasible, where we are now, other teams are more likely to drop points than we are at present. We just need to win our remaining games and then let other teams worry about catching us. Rather have maximum points on the board and let other teams worry about us. The ball is now firmly in our court.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 11:57:01 AM »

I think Gateshead are a tiny bit ahead of us in terms of quality at the moment Steve, but 4th would give us a better chance.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:06:39 PM »

I'd say that we're likely to finish 5th. That will mean one bumper crowd in the play offs and then (fingers crossed) a trip to Barnet in the semis. Can we actually finish with a crowd average approaching 2500?

Look whatever the outcome, we have done remarkably well this season and massively exceeded expectations. I'm pretty sure that we are all exceptionally proud of this fabulous team and just enjoying the ride at the moment. Love everything about our club - long may it continue.

It certainly looks extremely likely we'll finish 5th, given that Bromley and Gateshead should accumulate the points to get over the line ahead of us.

The dream scenario would be smashing a burnt-out Halifax in front of a bumper crowd in the eliminator, to exercise the ghosts of seasons past.

With regard to Barnet, that will have to be our 'York' - or 'Boston' for that matter - they'll be favourites, but sitting out for a bit might not suit them - who knows.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 01:13:37 PM »

Yes. Thumping Halifax would be very satisfying. If we could overcome Barnet in the semi, how great would it be to beat Gateshead in the final?

PS. Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself but after being a glass half empty kind of bloke all my life, surely I'm allowed a bit of leeway?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 03:48:41 PM »

I reckon after yesterday's results, one more point will see us secure a playoff slot or six more would make it top five. Nine points could even see us squeak third.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 04:38:45 PM »

I reckon after yesterday's results, one more point will see us secure a playoff slot or six more would make it top five. Nine points could even see us squeak third.
Top five is realistic as is 3 wins. Top three relying on Bromley experiencing more misadventures.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 04:49:13 PM »

Some of the currently competing teams are playing each other and those outside the playoffs. We seem to now have the easiest run=in, but nothing is certain of course.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 04:52:47 PM »

Some of the currently competing teams are playing each other and those outside the playoffs. We seem to now have the easiest run=in, but nothing is certain of course.

That could be the usual me talking! 😉 😂😂
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 08:39:02 PM »

Halifax 0 York 0.  HT
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The run in