PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gateshead Match thread  (Read 3699 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead Match thread
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2024, 09:34:20 AM »

Aside from the opening 30 minutes or so, I thought that Gateshead were the better team and ultimately deserved their victory.

We really struggled to get going in that second half and our defending was well below its customary standard this season. Two uncharacteristically poor headers by Jake Cooper which teed up their second and third goals.

Superb strike from Dan Mooney, but their debutant in goal largely had very little to do. The introduction of Linney for Kosylo came far too late, to my mind.

What troubles me is that Gateshead exhibited far more facets to their game overall. Yes, we are fully aware that they can play it out from the back and always have good technical players in midfield who can pass the ball around nicely, but they were also not afraid to be more direct (as demonstrated by their first goal).

We rarely take the opportunity to put a speculative cross into the opposition penalty area, after which we might profit from a defensive error. I can't help but feel that on too many occasions we overelaborate and appear to be on a mystical quest to score the 'perfect' goal.

Ironically, Alex Newby's goal did result from an enforced 'route one' punt from Ethan Ross, which their defender duly made a complete hash of.

I thought that the booing of Dinanga when he was being substituted was rather uncalled for. If he scores the winning goal for Gateshead in their forthcoming FA Trophy Semi-Final against Macc, I will consider crowdfunding for a statue of him to be erected on George Street.

Good points, you miss the effect of the wind, that alone was worth a goal or more per half, they used it better than us, Baines for there first was done by the wind for the cross, then Cooper twice could not clear the ball as he headed upwards the ball stalled and 2 goals on a plate. We really need to learn from this, header need to go to the side or for a corner. For there third we never marked the goal scorer who just came on.

Massive game v Weaalstonr now. A must win.. Hopfully Eddie will be back. We miss marriott, Eliiott was overloaded on saturday and pressure showed. Linney up top as well.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2024, 11:39:38 AM »

I think a number of us have summed it up well.

Given the swirling conditions, our game needed to be more direct - we needed to force errors on their side, which they did with us.

Even in stoppage time we refused to lump bodies into the box and get it in there - we know it causes havoc for us the other way round.

I'm sure the management can point to the amount of goals we've scored playing the way we play, but different conditions call for different measures.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2024, 10:38:24 PM »

Aside from the opening 30 minutes or so, I thought that Gateshead were the better team and ultimately deserved their victory.

We really struggled to get going in that second half and our defending was well below its customary standard this season. Two uncharacteristically poor headers by Jake Cooper which teed up their second and third goals.

Superb strike from Dan Mooney, but their debutant in goal largely had very little to do. The introduction of Linney for Kosylo came far too late, to my mind.

What troubles me is that Gateshead exhibited far more facets to their game overall. Yes, we are fully aware that they can play it out from the back and always have good technical players in midfield who can pass the ball around nicely, but they were also not afraid to be more direct (as demonstrated by their first goal).

We rarely take the opportunity to put a speculative cross into the opposition penalty area, after which we might profit from a defensive error. I can't help but feel that on too many occasions we overelaborate and appear to be on a mystical quest to score the 'perfect' goal.

Ironically, Alex Newby's goal did result from an enforced 'route one' punt from Ethan Ross, which their defender duly made a complete hash of.

I thought that the booing of Dinanga when he was being substituted was rather uncalled for. If he scores the winning goal for Gateshead in their forthcoming FA Trophy Semi-Final against Macc, I will consider crowdfunding for a statue of him to be erected on George Street.
The booing was embarrassing......do not recall him slagging us off after he left the club (unless someone can remind me)...... do not remember him being lazy or half arsed either.....think his crime might be that he is much improved at another club and may well be playing in a Trophy Final soon
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2024, 08:30:53 AM »

The booing was embarrassing......do not recall him slagging us off after he left the club (unless someone can remind me)...... do not remember him being lazy or half arsed either.....think his crime might be that he is much improved at another club and may well be playing in a Trophy Final soon

I don't condone the booing at all - some might argue it's part of the pantomime, but given he got a fair bit of stick when he was here it doesn't sit well with me at all.

He didn't exactly force the move - most of us were pleased to get a fee for him - and I still maintain the move was best for all parties, it just wasn't going to work properly here for him.

Personally, on a human level, I'm pleased he's done well.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2024, 09:10:17 AM »

He did tauntingly incline his ear to the home fans after his goal but I only noticed that on the highlights

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2024, 11:52:59 AM »

Are we ever going to call it what it is...

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2024, 12:13:20 PM »

Are we ever going to call it what it is...

😮😮
Full time and proud of it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match thread