PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gateshead Match thread  (Read 3707 times)

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead Match thread
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2024, 07:54:16 PM »

CCC should of played today…

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2024, 07:57:29 PM »

They were good. No mistake.
I thought their number 14 was impressive and they deserved to win.
We absolutely need to find a how to retrieve a game when we go behind.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2024, 08:06:04 PM »

Game of 2 halves, Donowa spurned a great chance to put us 2-0 up before HT, then Gateshead much improved after the break. As in some other games recently, we've started the 2nd half weakly and never been good enough to recover control of the game. Might be a midfield issue, or just that when have a bit of a patched up side, we're not quite good enough to beat other play-off contenders this season.

Shame the superb goal from Dan Mooney was ultimately in a losing cause today.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2024, 08:46:48 PM »

I was in agreement to play CCC as a false 9 whilst Linney was banned, but CCC needed to be number 10 today, especially when they were winning the midfield battle.

We need Linney and CCC to be starting in all the remaining games. Game management wasn’t great again. Had the opportunity to bring Linney on at HT today, could have then put CCC into 10 and Kossy out wide. Albeit, Mooney did well.

Yet again the impact sub was far too late, giving Linney 20 mins in a stop / start game was poor. Takes players 10 mins to get warm and up to speed. Hardly touched the ball.

They got to grips with Newby for the second half, after he was causing them issues in the first.

I am hoping Amulazor’s injury is not his groin again, we really need him.

The first game when we really missed Marriott. Osborne has dropped off recently, he isn’t controlling games, as he was doing. They have far more desire in the 2nd.Anyone have an update on Marriott’s
injury?

We showed a lack of fight and character second half. How bad are we at set pieces? we need players who want to win the ball in the opposition box. Would be a good start if we got more players in there, far too soft and cautious on all set pieces.

Disappointing.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2024, 08:49:23 PM »

good for 30 mins poor for 60.

whoever thinks donawa should start over banks needs a new hobby

wherever we finish will be an improvement on last season.

don't fancy a wednesday night in barnet tbh

Thought Banks had a stinker second half mate. Was beat time after time, but he was on his weaker side. Hancox can play left back, might have been a better option today.

AltyRobin

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 09:26:34 PM »

Eddie Jones was a HUGE miss today. Don’t understand why we didn’t play with a striker either. Gateshead looked hungry and we looked like we couldn’t be arsed.

We are steadily improving but we need to keep hold of our top players CCC, Ross, Baines, Cooper, Linney and Eddie Jones in the summer

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2024, 01:01:17 AM »

Is it me....or do we need to stop these 'showcase' games...being cynical now but every time we get the town down to watch us....we screw it up.

Apart from the wonder goal from Mooney, their keeper could have sat in a deckchair second half
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:04:59 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

b23

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2024, 01:18:36 AM »

We really do have problem with winning "big"games. It really needs addressing . Something us seriously wrong    Is it the management? If not, who??It is becoming embarrassing  when we  push forward then get big crowds and never  deliver. Answrrs please???

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2024, 07:49:46 AM »

good for 30 mins poor for 60.

whoever thinks donawa should start over banks needs a new hobby

wherever we finish will be an improvement on last season.

don't fancy a wednesday night in barnet tbh

Thought Banks had a stinker second half mate. Was beat time after time, but he was on his weaker side. Hancox can play left back, might have been a better option today.

You've just made an excellent point that completely passed me by... why wasn't Hancox started at left back?

I do scratch my head sometimes at how we seemingly decide not to take simple selection decisions, like starting our only centre forward.

Even without Regan Linney, Justin Amaluzor would have caused much more havoc in a swirling wind than CCC (before he was withdrawn), this stuff is simple.

Do we need more Kevin Hulme / Eddie Hussin / Val Owen types? - too many of our players weigh about 6 stone wet through and just lack a bit of calming presence.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2024, 04:07:34 PM »

We really do have problem with winning "big"games. It really needs addressing . Something us seriously wrong    Is it the management? If not, who??It is becoming embarrassing  when we  push forward then get big crowds and never  deliver. Answrrs please???
We aren't a premier league club and work within budget restrictions. We aren't going to go into the red throwing money at any problems we have and then cry we're going bust. I understand the frustration to make progress faster but we aren't playing football manager we're in the real world.I don't know if there will be a day when the present management can't take us any further. I don't believe we're anywhere near to that scenario anytime soon. Keep the faith.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2024, 04:10:59 PM »

I've said it before but we have a really good first 11. Any injuries e.g. to Isaac and Eddie leaves us very short. We're a good side and we are progressing. Next year will be better.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2024, 04:58:29 PM »

I've said it before but we have a really good first 11. Any injuries e.g. to Isaac and Eddie leaves us very short. We're a good side and we are progressing. Next year will be better.

I truly believe that. That'll do for me as we're on the right track and improving steadily.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2024, 05:50:17 PM »

Regarding the earlier posting of trouble outside the ground, my foster daughter who is 11 showed me a video she had found of an Altrincham fan being beaten up and kicked by about 10 Gateshead fans, he was curled up on the floor. She deleted it in disgust but was upset as it was one of our supporters being beaten. I have asked her today if she still had it as I wanted to send it to the club, and get them to tackle Gateshead about it and identify some of their fans. However, she did say she had deleted it and it only appeared momentarily, but she did show it to me. It was actually outside the main front door of the main stand.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »

I truly believe that. That'll do for me as we're on the right track and improving steadily.

Last year, we needed to avoid dependency on loanees. We have managed that. Now we need 16 players who could fit seemlessly into the first 11 in the event of injuries and suspensions. Not easily done.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2024, 07:28:21 PM »

Aside from the opening 30 minutes or so, I thought that Gateshead were the better team and ultimately deserved their victory.

We really struggled to get going in that second half and our defending was well below its customary standard this season. Two uncharacteristically poor headers by Jake Cooper which teed up their second and third goals.

Superb strike from Dan Mooney, but their debutant in goal largely had very little to do. The introduction of Linney for Kosylo came far too late, to my mind.

What troubles me is that Gateshead exhibited far more facets to their game overall. Yes, we are fully aware that they can play it out from the back and always have good technical players in midfield who can pass the ball around nicely, but they were also not afraid to be more direct (as demonstrated by their first goal).

We rarely take the opportunity to put a speculative cross into the opposition penalty area, after which we might profit from a defensive error. I can't help but feel that on too many occasions we overelaborate and appear to be on a mystical quest to score the 'perfect' goal.

Ironically, Alex Newby's goal did result from an enforced 'route one' punt from Ethan Ross, which their defender duly made a complete hash of.

I thought that the booing of Dinanga when he was being substituted was rather uncalled for. If he scores the winning goal for Gateshead in their forthcoming FA Trophy Semi-Final against Macc, I will consider crowdfunding for a statue of him to be erected on George Street.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match thread