PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Woking Match Thread  (Read 2957 times)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Woking Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 04:17:01 PM »

The recent collapse has been as depressing as unexpected given where we were just a few weeks ago.  I'm sure we were all excited as it really looked like we had a shot at promotion to the FL , which now appears to be quickly fading away. If some supporters are thinking/hoping for a knee jerk reaction from the chairman and his board think again , it just isn't going to happen and rightly so.  Look at the bigger picture , 6 seasons ago we were in freefall and we started the NPL season with a 3-0 home defeat by Stafford . Think about that and compare it to now as we are regarded by our rivals as one of the most respected and outstanding teams in the NL . That's due to the brilliant management team we are lucky to have at the helm . Of course they make mistakes , all managers do at every level and despite the awful run we will probably still finish in the top ten . That's progress in a league where most clubs have equal ambitions to ours and there are very few 'easy' games ( Fylde , Maidenhead , Dorking etc).  We may or may not reach the 'promised land' with Phil and Neil but they have already achieved enough to merit our FULL support.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 04:58:28 PM »

It worries me a little that our issue is clearly lack of numbers, the available players are running on empty and yet there appear to be no funds whatsoever for a couple of short-term replacements.

I suspect that the construction of the current squad has already required a fair degree of financial investment this season.

Remember that one of our probably highest-paid players, Crankshaw, is presently completely out of the picture.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2024, 05:00:43 PM »

Rewatching the totally unprofessional manner in which we conceded that late goal has certainly not improved my mood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SAm9xJDkw

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2024, 07:22:47 PM »

It was sh*t or bust. We were going for the points and the gamble didn't pay off.

In the cold late of day I think Woking shut us down with their resolute tackling. It was one of those games where we didn't get any luck and all of our shots were straight at their goalie.

Hopefully, things will turn out different on Tuesday.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2024, 07:39:53 PM »

It worries me a little that our issue is clearly lack of numbers, the available players are running on empty and yet there appear to be no funds whatsoever for a couple of short-term replacements.

I suspect that the construction of the current squad has already required a fair degree of financial investment this season.

Remember that one of our probably highest-paid players, Crankshaw, is presently completely out of the picture.

This shouldn’t be overlooked. Two big name & experienced players at this level in Crankshaw & Joey Jones will be on a good whack & have barely played a minute between them. Add to James Jones also being out for long periods & then there’s Byrne-obvs he’ll be off in the summer but he was signed as our first choice GK & will be on a decent wage again. So, when people say ‘get Maxi on loan’ or whoever then there’s x4 first team squad players who will be costing a pretty penny but have contributed little on the pitch all season. So, the Board can’t just go throwing money at it when you see the bigger picture.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2024, 08:06:06 PM »

I think it's pretty clear the budget's run out for this season, sadly.

Was nice while it lasted, and perhaps one of my previous posts had the huge benefit of hindsight (i.e. signing players we didn't REALLY need) - but there will be a lot of learnings from this season, and we're still heading in the right direction year on year (last year flirting around the edge of the playoffs, this year actually being in them).

As long as we edge slightly further forwards each season and re-invest in the squad wisely (especially if a good bid for a player comes in), then so be it.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 09:39:06 AM »

Still not recovered from Saturday, Dour game, draw looked on, then we were naïve beyond comprehension,  not marking a sole attacking option is Sunday league at best. I actually think seeing the highlights that Ethan could have done better, but he was rusty.

threadbare squad now has to pick up the mantle against York, whose form is similar to ours. need to get at them

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2024, 08:32:26 PM »

It was sh*t or bust. We were going for the points and the gamble didn't pay off.

In the cold late of day I think Woking shut us down with their resolute tackling. It was one of those games where we didn't get any luck and all of our shots were straight at their goalie.

Hopefully, things will turn out different on Tuesday.

It wasn't a case of that though, was it? We weren't losing that game and chasing a late equaliser.
By all means, attempt to capitalise on our attacking corner, but we should also have endeavoured to preserve the point that we were already holding.

In his post-match interview, Phil Parkinson described conceding that goal from our attacking corner as being "An absolute disgrace." That's now the third occasion in recent weeks on which we have contrived to concede a breakaway goal after losing possession on the fringe of the opposition penalty area (see Aldershot and Dagenham).

Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread