PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Woking Match Thread  (Read 2955 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Woking Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 06:21:45 PM »

Terrible performance.
If possible, we need a striker and CM on loan. Maxi now back at United….
Without the pace and strength of Amaluzor, we create little out wide. Newby and Kossy always want to cut back in and it kills any sort of counter. Just wish Eddie would gamble more and get down the line. He is in acres most game.
Why are we so bad at set pieces? Awful corner led to their goal. We never want to attack corners.
Playing CCC out wide and Newby no.10 did not work at all, strange decision.
Need to make changes up top, until Linney comes back. Way way off the standard up there.
Marriott looked hurt, not good.
Felt like the momentum was lost after all the changes following the Aldershot defeat.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 06:35:22 PM »

back 5 did well, middle 2 ok, front 4 awful.

Marriott injury just compounds a dreadful afternoon.

Believe there in fighting post game. get a grip
Full time and proud of it

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 06:53:27 PM »

Do you mean issues between some of the players?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 07:21:56 PM »

I sincerely hope that I am incorrect, but I fear that I witnessed the effective end of our season this afternoon.

That was truly torturous viewing. We looked entirely devoid of any attacking threat and were simply pressed and outworked by the poorest quality Woking team that I have seen in years.

After that opening wretched 45 minutes, I would readily have settled for 0-0 at full-time.

Angus just looks so ineffective and brittle, and he spent so much time inspecting the pitch this afternoon that I can only assume that he is thinking of applying for the currently vacant role of groundsman.

Conceding that 90th-minute goal after we had a corner was utterly criminal. Echoes of similar breakaway goals scored against us in our matches at Eastleigh, Aldershot and Dagenham respectively.

Misery duly compounded by seeing Marriott carried off on a stretcher. We can only hope that the injury wasn't as serious as it looked.

Six defeats in our last seven games really does require some sort of explanation from the management team. Our season appears to have imploded.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 07:33:09 PM »

Take no pleasure in saying this but we are simply not good enough squad wise even if we did make the playoffs. I think we have flattered to deceive a little and now our lack of depth of squad has now been exposed. Plus side we won’t get relegated negative side we wont go up this time. Hopefully the investors will stick with us. I think next season could be the one to put in a sustainable effort.

I summarise by saying let’s keep the attendances up and keep sticking by the squad.

PS hope Isaac isn’t too badly hurt, it didn’t look good though.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2024, 07:34:41 PM »

Before Dorking I thought six  points games from the three  homes  would be ok  just about .If we beat York the mood will shift again but with injuries and a small squad I think its last chance saloon soon

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2024, 07:51:46 PM »

Some of the decision making this season has been shocking:

- not taking a game in that FA Cup weekend, where we could have played Hartlepool when they were a very different prospect to the one we played - and thus relieving this heavy period of one midweek game

- not giving the Trophy a go as a result

- taking expensive punts on players that weren't necessarily hugely needed at the time we got them (Crankshaw, Mooney) that could have gone to better causes now we truly need it

- I hope to God I'm proven wrong... but hanging fire on Alex Newby for a bit longer...?

- who knows... maybe we weren't that keen on getting the Southend game played either (although I'd be amazed if that wasn't just Southend causing mischief

- but the biggest was throwing the baby out with the bathwater after the Aldershot defeat - we all accepted that was an off day against a dangerous team, but everything that's followed has been dreadful.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2024, 08:02:10 PM »

I thought the pitch was dreadful. It looked like they were playing on marshmellow. No grip whatsoever. Woking obviously came for a draw and we had no teeth. I went home to watch the rugby after they scored so missed Isaac's injury. I hope it's not too bad.

Only bright point was Justin's appearance. He looked up for it and caused problems once he came on.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2024, 08:19:11 PM »

Players were slipping on the pitch today. Why PP insists on watering it is beyond me.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2024, 08:19:57 PM »

sh*te. The lot of it today. I literally turned to my mate as we watched the game and I said "0-0 is the least Alty score ever" and boom a lad stood on our D was making his way up field to score.

We mustered nothing in attack and that is weird with the options we have up there.

If isaac is out we're fully f**ked because the other two options are the same player. Maxi fancy a game? I give him a chance of playing the Isaac role more than anyone else we have options on.

I still think there is a playoffs place for us, but I've stopped expecting results if we get there.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2024, 08:23:38 PM »

Toothless and powder-puff up front, felt a bit sorry for the GK and defence to be honest, who did well.
As O Needham says above, our wide men preferred to cut in and pass sideways/backwards. Need wingers who get past the oppo defence and get to the by-line and cut it back/cross/shoot from there, not slow everything down. Seemed like Justin Amaluzor created more in his late cameo appearance than our other forwards did all afternoon.

Stuartalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2024, 11:09:59 AM »

Has PP reached the ceiling of his ability? He has been learning on the job for a long time. We need an ex-league manager who can not only take us up but also keep us up.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2024, 01:30:41 PM »

Has PP reached the ceiling of his ability? He has been learning on the job for a long time. We need an ex-league manager who can not only take us up but also keep us up.

We don’t need statements like this.
The problem is simply that we are short of first team quality squad players. Only one decent striker (now suspended) no really quality replacements for our key players.
We know this and so does Parky..
We're probably not ready to go up yet but we will finish in an improved league position this year and with a mini-clear-the-decks and good recruitment over the close season we'll be even better next year.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 03:01:13 PM »

It worries me a little that our issue is clearly lack of numbers, the available players are running on empty and yet there appear to be no funds whatsoever for a couple of short-term replacements.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 03:47:08 PM »

It worries me a little that our issue is clearly lack of numbers, the available players are running on empty and yet there appear to be no funds whatsoever for a couple of short-term replacements.

Is the 1.5 million investment announed last year not for the squad I wonder?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Woking Match Thread