PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dorking Match Thread  (Read 3525 times)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dorking Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2024, 11:15:47 PM »

Our defending tonight was epic, but I am worried that we look like a very very weary team right now - I'm not sure what can be done, or indeed whether we have the resources to do anything about it.

The ref was the first I have seen this season that you could objectively call s***.

Dorking have 2 excellent wingers but they are a horrible, horrible club and I pray for the good of everyone else in the league that they are relegated.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2024, 11:22:44 PM »

Heroic defensive work by the whole team tonight, great to have 3 points again.

Dorking obviously one of the more cynical sides in the league and played the ref like a fiddle throughout. Even during our 2 goals they managed to get dirty fouls in either during the build up or straight after the quickly taken free kick for the first. Obviously never punished by the ref.

Just seen the Linney red card, Dorking obviously look to wind opposition players up and if Linney has fallen for it then he needs to learn sharpish. Not sure it is worth an appeal? But he'll be missed now he's suspended. They tried the same on Kosylo (e.g. screaming at him when he went down following another Dorking foul) - wisely he didn't react that time but was obviously on thin ice and sensible to be subbed.

We started very well though and looked very dangerous in the first 20 mins or so. Bold double subs by their boss saw them have a lot more of the ball, then the sending off meant the second half was torture to watch at times given how little possession we had. Delighted we held out for justice! ;D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 01:05:32 AM »

I spoke to Ethan Ross tonight, he hopes to be available for Saturday. Great news

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 01:11:57 AM »

I thought Dorking were a niggly team who were more interested in roughing up our lads than scoring. I won’t be sorry to see them get relegated and it would be great if we were to confirm their demise in April, I am thinking of going to that game in Surrey.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2024, 02:27:41 AM »

Epic performance. This was the red card by the way...

https://x.com/dmaudsley/status/1765139214679597335?s=20

Please don't rush to judgement solely on the basis of that particular clip though, as it only comprises the first instalment of the ongoing incident which resulted in Linney being sent off.

From my seat in the main stand, I happened to catch a good view of the whole altercation.

Following Linney's initial barge of the Dorking defender, I kept my eye focused on the two players, as verbals were being exchanged and you just sensed that a sequel was impending.

Alas, Linney proceeded (both senselessly and naively) to run back towards the Dorking player, raise his right arm and then barge into him across the upper chest with a trifle more force. Inevitably, the Dorking defender cynically capitalised on this impetuous deed by promptly holding his face and collapsing onto the turf.

I doubt that the referee witnessed the incident, so I would suspect that the red card was issued on the advice of his assistant (who was in front of the sponsors lounge at the time). Harsh, to my mind, but Linney needs to learn that such indisciplined behaviour almost cost us dear on the night and will now almost certainly result in him being unnecessarily absent for three matches at a vital stage of the season.

All I will add is that it was a pity that the same linesman wasn't quite so eagle-eyed when it came to spotting a Dorking player's assault on Marriott in the aftermath of our opening goal.

As for the game itself, that second half resembled Rorke's Drift in Zulu, only with Lewis Baines instead of Michael Caine.

Potentially a pivotal victory, both in terms of the ultimate league position and the team's morale in the wake of five consecutive defeats.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 09:22:50 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2024, 08:01:03 AM »

New from Wikipedia...On March 6th 2024 the battle of Moss Lane, Altrincham....what am i saying ! That second half was Alty's version of Bannockburn , Dunkirk and Waterloo all rolled into one !!! Whatever happens now from here on in , we must not doubt the lads belief, passion and fighting qualities that we witnessed in that epic second half . To misquote a famous speech..."we will fight them on the pitches , we will never surrender ".Truly heroic .

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2024, 08:16:27 AM »

March 5th 2024 🙄

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2024, 08:55:39 AM »

Big big win that obviously meant a lot to the players judging by the full-time scenes - well done to all the supporters that rallied round the team, I have no doubt in my mind that the fire in the belly the players started the game with was in no small part down to the reception they received before kick-off (and I'm not normally a fan of pyros!)

Dorking have obviously started resorting to the dark arts much more frequently than they used to, which perhaps is symptomatic of their league position - I have little sympathy for Regan Linney in those sorts of situations because you're always going to get verbals with opposing players and you can't give the ref a decision to make like that - he needs to learn (and that goes for Matty Kosylo too).

My biggest worry now is that the players will be completely out on their feet - we've never needed a freshen up more when it comes to loans, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Mooney come in from the start on Saturday seeing as he should be nice and fresh, hopefully Justin Amaluzor (and obviously Ethan) can make a contribution too.

Regan Linney will be a big loss, given how essential he is to the way we play - we can't get away with Dior Angus I'm afraid, he's not good enough (which was never more evident than last night).

Shout out to George Wilson for his energetic cameo towards the end - he really helped to take the sting out of their momentum with some timely interceptions and ball carries.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2024, 09:10:43 AM »

What a great result. I don't understand the comments about the team looking tired. They put 120% in to get to 2 - 0 and then had to play their socks off with ten men for the whole of the second half. They should be tired after that. So happy that they didn't concede a second, that would have been gut wrenching. I don't think Matty K will ever learn, it's what makes him tick. Hopefully, Linney will let his boots do the talking. He's certainly proving to be a handful.

Full credit to the Golf Road choir tonight. Easily heard for the whole of the match and great support. Can't always say that when we've got an extra 600 casuals in on a Saturday afternoon. 

I can't see Dorking getting relegated. They responded well after the two subs came on and gave us plenty of problems. Well taken Penalty. Matt had no chance even though he went the right way.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2024, 09:13:25 AM »

I agree with comments before, what a battling performance. Under the pump for most the 2nd half. Poorest ref ever seen at ML. One sided toward Dorking as well, obviously the joking with there manager/owner before the match paid dividends in the warm up. Hopefully Linney red can be rescinded, but silly petulance that we don't want to see.

Another tough game Saturday but really pleased with the points from last night.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2024, 09:29:26 AM »

Epic performance. This was the red card by the way...

https://x.com/dmaudsley/status/1765139214679597335?s=20

Please don't rush to judgement solely on the basis of that particular clip though, as it only comprises the first instalment of the ongoing incident which resulted in Linney being sent off.

From my seat in the main stand, I happened to catch a good view of the whole altercation.

Following Linney's initial barge of the Dorking defender, I kept my eye focused on the two players, as verbals were being exchanged and you just sensed that a sequel was impending.

Alas, Linney proceeded (both senselessly and naively) to run back towards the Dorking player, raise his right arm and then barge into him across the upper chest with a trifle more force. Inevitably, the Dorking defender cynically capitalised on this impetuous deed by promptly holding his face and collapsing onto the turf.

I doubt that the referee witnessed the incident, so I would suspect that the red card was issued on the advice of his assistant (who was in front of the sponsors lounge at the time). Harsh, to my mind, but Linney needs to learn that such indisciplined behaviour almost cost us dear on the night and will now almost certainly result in him being unnecessarily absent for three matches at a vital stage of the season.

All I will add is that it was a pity that the same linesman wasn't quite so eagle-eyed when it came to spotting a Dorking player's assault on Marriott in the aftermath of our opening goal.

As for the game itself, that second half resembled Rorke's Drift in Zulu, only with Lewis Baines instead of Michael Caine.

Potentially a pivotal victory, both in terms of the ultimate league position and the team's morale in the wake of five consecutive defeats.

Love reading your eloquent summaries Barry… Long May your pen flourish Sir.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2024, 10:48:10 AM »

Elephant....room....has CCC picked up an injury from the relentless kicking he received? We only had four fit players on the bench again (If Amaluzor is 100% I'm pretty sure he'd have been given a run) and if CCC isn't fit, and with Linney definitely out, we're going to struggle for cover. We certainly need Donowa back (played a full match for Chorley last night, and his long throw would give us an extra tactic), and a loan striker would be of real benefit.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2024, 11:16:21 AM »

Elephant....room....has CCC picked up an injury from the relentless kicking he received? We only had four fit players on the bench again (If Amaluzor is 100% I'm pretty sure he'd have been given a run) and if CCC isn't fit, and with Linney definitely out, we're going to struggle for cover. We certainly need Donowa back (played a full match for Chorley last night, and his long throw would give us an extra tactic), and a loan striker would be of real benefit.
Parky said tactical to bring Dior on, it tied up a defender or two quite often as we played 4-4-1 and at times 4-5. Dorking manager said same in his interview and it hampered them somewhat as they ran out of steam. I am sure come Saturday we will see Justin at some point

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2024, 12:07:06 PM »

I thought Angus you played his role fairly well last night which was essentially being in CCC’s position but playing it defensively. Not an easy task

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2024, 12:38:58 PM »

I thought Angus you played his role fairly well last night which was essentially being in CCC’s position but playing it defensively. Not an easy task

I agree. I thought he worked really hard when he came on..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking Match Thread