PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Southend  (Read 3941 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southend
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2024, 03:33:19 PM »

The following observation by a Southend United supporter on their fans form regarding last evening's game did raise a wry smile:

"Is this the first time this season we've got more subs than the opposition?"

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2024, 09:47:06 AM »

I feel like we're quite an intriguing paradox...

The way in which I feel we SHOULD have been proactive in January, was adding reinforcements when things were going well - knowing this tight run of fixtures was going to come. I know additions were much more necessary the previous year, however we phased Maxi Oyedele into the side quite gradually until he became one of the first names on the teamsheet.

But did we REALLY need to be that proactive with rotation after one defeat?

After the Aldershot game I think we undertook a process known as 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'... now before people pull me up on previous suggestions of mine that gentle rotation is healthy, surely it's one of the first rules of football that you leave the spine of the side intact?

Looking at the positives - Maidenhead abomination aside - the three away fixtures in this run were perfectly 'loseable' and they were three of the tougher assignments left.

We weren't going to sustain a winning run for the last 13-14 games of the season, and the likes of Barnet/Bromley/Gateshead/Solihull have all endured similar spectacular losses of form like ours.

I still back us to 'come up on the rails' and push for a playoff place - this form will turn, but we really do need to go back to basics here.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:49:10 AM by MarpleAlty »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2024, 03:16:43 PM »

I can't disagree with anything MarpleAlty has written.
A couple of things we aren't party to is
a) the number and severity of any niggles that players may be carrying which may or may not affect team selection
and b) the health of the bank balance which would have an impact on dipping into the loan market.

I'm still expecting a top seven finish, just not the third that I did think was on the cards before our last few games.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2024, 12:34:28 PM »

I can't disagree with anything MarpleAlty has written.
A couple of things we aren't party to is
a) the number and severity of any niggles that players may be carrying which may or may not affect team selection
and b) the health of the bank balance which would have an impact on dipping into the loan market.

I'm still expecting a top seven finish, just not the third that I did think was on the cards before our last few games.

Two very crucial points - as much as we fans can speculate, we're only ever privy to half the information (e.g. suggestions Lewis Baines has been unwell).

We do also need to cut our cloth accordingly, and let's face it - our recruitment so far this season will NOT have been cheap - far from it.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2024, 02:32:12 PM »

Tottering on the brink of admin again?
They'll probably be ok though won't they?

PS. There's a article about it in the local Southend newspaper but I don't have the skill to attach it! 🙄😏
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:23:19 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2024, 06:14:29 PM »

Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2024, 07:11:11 PM »

I particularly enjoyed the 1, 2 repeated sound checks. Bring back the threats if you walk in front of the press box. Really miss that one.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2024, 07:32:25 PM »

Thanks for the links Gents! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend