PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Maidenhead Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Maidenhead Match Thread  (Read 4581 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 10:46:01 AM »

It's due to be dry from around 6pm today up  to kick off.If it's off with what isn't a huge amount of rainfall  this week there will be more games called off in March and it will mean playing three games a week at some stage or moving games to another ground.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 02:12:47 PM »

I think you're wrong on the rain front. It's been raining overnight.
Wythenshawe park is flooded. The railway track is flooded where it goes under Park Road in Timperley, Timperley athletics track is under standing water, as is my son's garden which is close by.

If it does go ahead it will be all credit to the groundsmen and volounteers who well have a real challenge on their hands. Assuming they can get rid of any surface water it's going to be very soft.

I hope it does go ahead just to blot out the pain of Tuesday night's second half.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 05:41:31 PM »

Some context re. tomorrow's visitors, courtesy of the splendid John Laidlar:

"It's now four defeats on the spin in the league for Alan Devonshire's men, who briefly rekindled hopes of a play-off charge earlier this month... Since then, missed chances and misfortune have afflicted the team at a crucial juncture of the season, with the side losing a game they should have handsomely won at Boreham Wood before going down to a 2-1 defeat in the 98th minute at FC Halifax Town last week.

Saturday's 3-1 loss to Oldham Athletic and last night's 2-1 loss to Southend United were much more disappointing performances and few could argue they deserved anything from either contest.

United briefly came to life towards the end of the first half, when Kevin Lokko rose well to head home Sam Barratt's free kick to make it 1-1, but generally, they were second best to a Shrimpers side who started the night four points below them in the National League table....

Devonshire's men hav[e] failed to score more than one goal in all but one of their last 12 matches, now 13. It means that whenever they fall behind, there's a general unease about whether they have the firepower to get back into a game."
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 08:32:19 PM »

i blame his cap
Full time and proud of it

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 09:22:17 PM »

"It's now four defeats on the spin in the league for Alan Devonshire's men, who briefly rekindled hopes of a play-off charge earlier this month... Since then, missed chances and misfortune have afflicted the team at a crucial juncture of the season, with the side losing a game they should have handsomely won at Boreham Wood before going down to a 2-1 defeat in the 98th minute at FC Halifax Town last week.

Saturday's 3-1 loss to Oldham Athletic and last night's 2-1 loss to Southend United were much more disappointing performances and few could argue they deserved anything from either contest.

United briefly came to life towards the end of the first half, when Kevin Lokko rose well to head home Sam Barratt's free kick to make it 1-1, but generally, they were second best to a Shrimpers side who started the night four points below them in the National League table....

Devonshire's men hav[e] failed to score more than one goal in all but one of their last 12 matches, now 13. It means that whenever they fall behind, there's a general unease about whether they have the firepower to get back into a game."
0-4 to them it is then

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 09:29:41 PM »

I usually leave around 12.00 to go to home games,  does anybody think that there is a risk of it not being on.
Cheers

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 09:31:52 PM »

0-4 to them it is then

I usually like your witticisms AA but don't even think that! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 09:55:12 PM »

I usually leave around 12.00 to go to home games,  does anybody think that there is a risk of it not being on.
Cheers

I think it will be fine. Crucially there’s no rain forecast tomorrow & should actually be some sun a couple of hours before kick off. If there was going to be a pitch inspection (assuming part time Maidenhead will just be travelling up on the day) sure it would have been announced by now as guess they’d need to leave no later then about 0930. Pitch will be heavy again needless to say.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2024, 12:51:15 AM »

Cheers

I think it will be fine. Crucially there’s no rain forecast tomorrow & should actually be some sun a couple of hours before kick off. If there was going to be a pitch inspection (assuming part time Maidenhead will just be travelling up on the day) sure it would have been announced by now as guess they’d need to leave no later then about 0930. Pitch will be heavy again needless to say.

Cheers SLA

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2024, 12:37:13 PM »

0-4 to them it is then

I usually like your witticisms AA but don't even think that! 😉
🤣

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 03:53:05 PM »

We are in a bit of trouble here…..

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 03:56:03 PM »

I said it on Tuesday. If Baines is on the bench we are vulnerable.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 04:10:45 PM »

DEEP trouble….

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 05:46:50 PM »

Playoffs my arse. That was embarrassing.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 06:07:39 PM »

Where to start with that?

Firstly, play stupid games (leave your best defender and best midfielder on the bench), win sh*t prizes.

We dropped Lewis Baines for a lad we signed because he was Ollie Byrne's cousin.

If rotation is such a big thing, then why doesn't it apply to Elliott Osborne like it does to the others?

And on that subject, today was Osborne-Ball. Slow, ponderous, side to side, backwards... and then, never fear! - a lovely floaty diagonal long ball. Let's just hope it doesn't get picked out of the sky. Oh.

George Wilson has his merits, but he's a Mini-Osborne. Either one of them with Marriott is fine, but we're horrible with those two together.

The one fella I'll give a shout out to is Regan Linney, who did his best despite naff all happening around him. Alex Newby in particular had a shocker.

I think I saw Lewis Banks go down the line once. Every other time he checked back inside and went backwards. That must have been a tactical instruction.

The passage of play between our goal and their equaliser is about as disgusting as it gets. Paid them far too much disrespect and fair play to them for taking advantage. Like the Bronley home game on steroids.

Did I mention that I think Elliott Osborne is a myth? Are we praising him because he's just not been rubbish?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Maidenhead Match Thread