PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hartlepool United (A) Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hartlepool United (A) Match Thread  (Read 3542 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepool United (A) Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 10:05:02 PM »

That was too much rotation

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2024, 10:08:06 PM »

How on earth did we recede from complete control during the first half to that second-half omnishambles?

We should have been 2-0 up at half-time. Angus did really well to create that opportunity but then totally fluffed his finish.

We could even have added a second goal early in the second half with that Mooney chance.

Gould then proceeded to endure a nightmarish few minutes. What on earth was he doing not coming out to collect that ball which was headed back to him?
And then you could see him conceding that penalty from a mile off.

Fortunately, their goalkeeper was as poor as ours and was at fault for both Alty's goals.

We simply imploded in the face of their pressure and our away form is looking alarmingly brittle. I don't think that I've ever seen Marriott give such a substandard performance.

Parkinson's post-match interview should be enlightening.

He will never take responsibility.

His biggest mistake tonight was the change of shape and removing two players, who were causing them issues.

If he mentions that we ‘need’ to rotate over the remaining games, well Hartlepool just picked up 6 points, with the same starting 11 and us, zero.

He simply got it wrong.

Can he please give up on wingbacks, even if the opposition change their formation. We looked so disorganised and all central. Only worked away at Gateshead and awful in all the other games.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2024, 10:09:20 PM »

I think we need to give Parky a break here.  I (like many) was expecting a mid table team this season that would hopefully not get dragged into a relegation battle.  Instead we’ve had a bit of a blip in our attempt to make the playoffs!  This management duo is the best we’ve had since the glory days.  Let’s remember where we’ve come from.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2024, 10:14:13 PM »

As bad as Rochdale and Aldershot. Farce.

That sqaud have, over the past 2 games, not showed up. 2.5k wont happen if they keep doing it.
It's all my fault.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2024, 10:29:26 PM »

Aldershot are a good side and beat us well. Tonight we beat ourselves with a dreadful team selection - wasted points and I pray it doesn't cost us dearly.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 10:35:31 PM »

I think we need to give Parky a break here.  I (like many) was expecting a mid table team this season that would hopefully not get dragged into a relegation battle.  Instead we’ve had a bit of a blip in our attempt to make the playoffs!  This management duo is the best we’ve had since the glory days.  Let’s remember where we’ve come from.

Honestly, I thought we should and would be pushing playoffs .

Love Parky and Sorvs, but got it wrong. Said it last year, what I really respected about Parky is in the past, is that in the past he wouldn’t make drastic changes and always stuck to our formation. I just feel, he now overthinks fatigue, tactics and rotations.

Players should be able to start two games in a week.

If we played our strongest 11, then that game would have been game over in the first half. Then bring players off and protect them.

That change in formation was really poor, he subbed our two best players on the night. He seemed to panic tonight and it cost us.

Too many players rotated. They didn’t rotate a single player.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 10:37:26 PM by oneedham »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 10:37:48 PM »

How we ended up coming away from that with nothing after that first half is anybody's guess - it looked as if the team selection would pay off, but we did miss some golden chances to go further ahead.

Matty Gould had a horror few minutes, with the decision not to come for the first one undoubtedly affecting his decision to come for the second one which he shouldn't have done.

One potential positive is that we'd probably get away woth more rotation than we think - as long as we have our first choice goalkeeper and back four in place.

In terms of the tactical changes, I think Parky needs to get a glass of wine with Kevin Phillips and understand how to make simple but profound system tweaks that gain maximum results.

They would have been delighted with us taking off our wingers, something the commentary team alluded to. I was pleased to see Matty Kosylo looking sharper than he has done for ages.

Hopefully this will be similar to our Eastleigh/Rochdale blip, ultimately two challenging away ties on paper so we'll need to dust ourselves off and put another run together.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2024, 11:16:47 PM »

Let’s make no bones about it that was a terrible half of football tonight, more down to the fact we completely gifted it to them rather than them playing through us. For the first I think Gould was probably at fault and whilst he wasn’t great with the second I’d argue it was Kosylo’s fault for giving it away very cheaply in midfield to start that attack off.

We were absolutely cruising at first and it seemed as if Phil and Neil had played a blinder, we even came out at the beginning of the second half and did ok as well with Hartlepool looking just as poor as they had in the first 45. Then a few minutes of madness changed the whole course of the match completely.

I actually don’t think the management were wrong with the changes they made, we were playing better than we did Saturday and the front 4 looked like they needed the rest. Where I think we did go wrong was when after the second goal it seemed to go out of the window. Mooney was causing them real problems and was proving to be a great outlet for us tonight but was taken off and then we decided to match their shape as well which seemed to derail any threat we had entirely. Even at 2-1 down I thought we’d get back in it before the changes. After the changes it was like we slipped right back into the Aldershot match all over again. We never looked as if we were going to create anything , in fact it looked almost lazy the way we were playing at times.

I’d have brought Linney on for Angus (who should’ve killed the game with the chance from his brilliant run in the first half) and maybe Switched out Wilson too but it just all seemed to go wrong for us from there.

It’s unsettling but I think we’re all panicking a little bit here. Time to reset, go back to basics and go again. It almost feels like we’re overplaying the system, CCC looked like he was trying too hard at times when he came on  and we were generally a little bit passive in what we were doing.

We all knew we were going to lose more games (Barnet have lost 8 of their last 15) but for us it’s how we react to two tough away trips now. Maidenhead at home on Saturday is the perfect chance to get back on track and get playing again. This is still a fantastic season, we’re in a great position and as Phil always says let’s stick with them through this difficult period. We move on.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2024, 11:40:15 PM »

Dropping from 4th to 8th demonstrates amply that the playoffs are not going to be easy to break into. I'd be confident about Saturday if I could see where the goals might come from, but Linney was rather anonymous tonight, while Angus just isn't good enough at this level. Obviously the goalkeeping position is also a cause for concern too - we need Ethan back PDQ.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2024, 11:47:14 PM »

Little bit harsh on Angus I think. He got a goal, hit the bar and was going  close to capping off that brilliant run with a goal too and that’s when he’s hardly played any competitive football as well. We let ourselves down with the 2 easy mistakes with the goals tonight

Mooney was encouraging, Kossy did ok I thought as well. It could all be different on Saturday. Don’t forget it’s only been 10 days since that Rochdale performance where we could have scored 5-6. 2 bad games, yes but we’ve been dominant a lot of this season. There’s no reason why we won’t be again.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2024, 09:06:35 AM »

Now the dust has settled, we need to look at the positives.

Matty Kosylo, Dan Mooney and George Wilson all look like they can make positive contributions over the rest of the season (and they'll be needed), and the goal will have done Dior the world of good.

This team has shown it can bounce back much better than its previous iterations... after our last similar Sat/Tue blip, we stuffed Solihull 6-1. Aldershot bounced back emphatically after their drubbing by Fylde, so it's clear that Maidenhead won't be relishing our reaction on Saturday.

I'm sure Ethan Ross will be back soon and that will make a huge amount of difference.

75 points should be enough to make the playoffs, therefore we need 23 points from our final 14 games (7/2/5) and if you look at the fixtures we have left, it looks more than achievable.

Oh yeah... and Lewis Baines should never be dropped.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2024, 09:20:42 AM »

I'm just too annoyed to comment.

Next disaster will be Saturday's game rained off.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2024, 09:51:09 AM »

Couldn't make the game last night as working until 6pm, streamed it, commentary from BBC on the stream was overall good and they were bemused as ourselves to the 5 changes. First half looked like a master stroke as we dominated but didn't get that all important second goal we deserved. I thought they would come at us, they changed shape and then errors from outfield players and keeper cost us. bemused why we changed shape and didn't freshen up keeping the shape that was creating opportunities. In the end lost by 1 goal in a game we had by the scruff of  the neck. Looking  to see a positive reaction on Saturday and get our play off push back on the rails. For me the keeper is the big dilemma, if Ross not fit then do we bring in Byrne. I now believe he deserves a chance.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2024, 10:47:09 AM »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:55 AM »

As others have said, there is still plenty to play for, we win our game in hand and we are back in the play offs. At the end of the day it’s where we are at the end of the season that really matters.

Knowing Alty, I expect watching them play Maidenhead will be an enjoyable experience.

Onwards and Upwards.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hartlepool United (A) Match Thread