Crowds
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Crowds  (Read 3015 times)

b23

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Crowds
« on: February 16, 2024, 04:12:32 PM »

What is this big obsession from Parky about wanting/needing crowds of over 2500? I understand the financial benefits but surely the increase in crowd numbers over recent years has been excellent. There must be a limit on what we can expect to get in on a match by match basis. I really hope we get more regular attendees and not just for big games etc. Every club has a core support and ours has not been this high for ages. The football deserves big crowds so lets hope and they stay around for years to come

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Crowds
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 04:52:40 PM »

Current average is 2,201, with further increase and Oldham still to come we may be closing in on 2.5 very soon .

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 06:12:41 PM »

What is this big obsession from Parky about wanting/needing crowds of over 2500? I understand the financial benefits but surely the increase in crowd numbers over recent years has been excellent. There must be a limit on what we can expect to get in on a match by match basis. I really hope we get more regular attendees and not just for big games etc. Every club has a core support and ours has not been this high for ages. The football deserves big crowds so lets hope and they stay around for years to come

What do you mean? Crowds are everything, especially at our level. He acknowledges the amazing rise in crowds but wants to push for more. We've got to keep pushing forward and I think that's what he's trying to get across, especially if we want to be a competitive football league club. This is already a special season, let's get as many people from around the town and area to see it. We might even retain some who become regular supporters.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 08:43:40 PM »

I think continuous improvement is in Phil Parkinson's DNA, so it doesn't surprise me that he sees opportunities to improve every aspect of the club. The next two months could potentially be the biggest in our history, so it's quite understandable that he's looking to galvanise everybody.
Come on Alty!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 10:31:09 PM »

If the town isn't capable of drawing 3.5k crowds with it's catchment area I'd be surprised honestly.

We're only just now really managing to raise town center awareness and better facilities would certainly draw in those expecting a more premier league feel to ameneties etc.

2.5k I think is realistic while the product is as good as it is and the ground is what it is. The advantages of bigger crowds are obviously more money in the bank for Alex Newby types when we already have Olly Crankshaw on the books out of action.

b23

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 12:32:26 AM »

Are we all delusional?? What crowds have we got over the past 10 years or beyond?Every club has an ultimate crowd potential. Why have we not got more crowds over the years? I fear we are being bamboozled. If we do not get promoted how many will we get next season? Not 2500 for sure even week..Mark my words. Nice ambition but  not realistic

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 09:43:50 AM »

Not sure crowds would diminish if we didn't get promoted but were pushing for a po spot next season
Full time and proud of it

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 09:48:09 AM »

I think you're missing the point slightly. For me, it's about maintaining a sense of momentum and capitalising on the feelgood factor which currently exists at the club. Yes, I was there 20 years ago when we were getting 400 at home in the Unibond League. What is happening now was unthinkable back then, when we could only dream of getting 1000 through the gate, let alone 2000. It's all about looking for marginal gains, that is a huge part of the philosophy.

As you quite rightly suggest, crowds could easily drop again next season, but I think in this moment that we are in, it is understandable to issue a call to arms, because there is just a chance that we might be playing in front of bigger crowds in a higher league.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:50:40 AM by Paul Cain's Chip Pan »
Come on Alty!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 11:10:46 AM »

It's also nice to see the club get back it's ambition that it had during the late 70's and early 80's. I for one experienced the positivity of the club both then and now. It has been a long time coming, but everything about the club now is positive and Phil is right to capitalise on it.

If we get promoted - and I mean IF - we need the fan infastructure for the division 2. We are capable of getting more than we currently have attending and the fanbase will increase anyway. We are more than capable of 4000+ crowds in division 2, but all Phil is doing is encouraging a rallying call with the fans, I think he is right. It is a good time to do so as we face the run-in. The pressure is not on us as we have more than achieved what we set out to do, the pressure is on the teams such as Oldham who are expected to do well. The club have never tasted league football and I for one, did not expect this during my lifetime, but here we are again. With a superb management, board, investors and a squad capable of achieving what a few years ago would have been a pipedream.

We should support and believe in them, not believe it is beyond our realms. We are already behind the club, but let's all join in the push for something that with past disappointments we are very capable of achieving.

Well said Phil!!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 12:22:23 PM »

Are we all delusional?? What crowds have we got over the past 10 years or beyond?Every club has an ultimate crowd potential. Why have we not got more crowds over the years? I fear we are being bamboozled. If we do not get promoted how many will we get next season? Not 2500 for sure even week..Mark my words. Nice ambition but  not realistic
Plenty will come back next year if we don't get promoted because they will be coming because of the product and the continued optimism they have experienced this year. Only a catastrophic drop in form will see the crowds drop hugely.

The increase in fans is not an Altrincham exclusive thing. The growth of lower league football crowds is all over the pyramid; however, if you want to keep the floating fans longer term, they will want a few things we just don't offer with current facilities, and that will be why they don't come week in and week out.

Also, if you think the club isn't doing new things to gain awareness than they were doing 10 years ago you are missing a beat. Radio Alty, Alty TV, Altrincham Today, Great Social Media Presence, and High Street store are all essentially worlds away from the 1990s club site and black and white match photos outside the ground we had before then.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 12:23:44 PM »

Consistent attendances of 2000 plus was delusional thinking in the NPL season when we were regularly still getting crowds 500-600 and that was only a few years ago. We’ve also never been as successful as we are now (certainly in the last 25 years anyway) 

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 07:56:02 PM »

He was asking people who are all ready regular fans of Alty. They need to aim their request at the non attenders
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:05:29 AM by distancetraveller »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 10:25:05 AM »

I took it that he was asking regular attenders to bring their friends along to try and get them hooked.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 12:44:30 PM »

Consistent attendances of 2000 plus was delusional thinking in the NPL season when we were regularly still getting crowds 500-600 and that was only a few years ago. We’ve also never been as successful as we are now (certainly in the last 25 years anyway)

Spot on. If we can average 2,100 for two seasons when we were far closer to the relegation battle then the play offs, then thinking a PO chasing side can average 2,500 is a realistic ambition IMO. Parky is enormously respected at our level now & his words carry weight so I’m glad he’s put this out. The club is not going back to 650 in the Unibond League & we have a new reality & ceiling now with more to come.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2024, 06:14:37 PM »

Average crowd of 2295 for the season if football web pages have included today.Best for 50 plus years ?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/attendances
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Crowds