News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A Question for the Old Timers

Author Topic: A Question for the Old Timers  (Read 1794 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 10, 2024, 10:09:17 PM »

Well two really.

I seem to think that I went to an away game at Bangor City in about 1978ish but it was on a Sunday which would have been odd then. Am I right or is my memory hazy.
Round about the same era I think I went to Great Harwood away which was moved from a Saturday to a night game due to one of our cup exploits at the time.
I can’t find any records of either game including programmes which at the time I always purchased.
Any clarification would be really appreciated.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: A Question for the Old Timers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 11:17:14 PM »

The Great Harwood game was in the run up to the Trophy semi final second leg against Runcorn.  We had drawn 0-0 with the Linnets on the Saturday, and this game was played on the Monday.  Notable for the debuts of Graham Tobin and Larry Garrity.  I remember turning up at The Old Showground and saying "who the hell are they?"  Graham Heathcote scored both goals in a routine 2-0 win.  Garrity made it into the starting 11 at Runcorn the following Saturday for the second leg where a mal Bailey goal took us to Wembley for the first time   

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 11:19:40 PM »

And the Bangor Game may be Boxing Day 1980 (a Friday), we played Barrow away on the Saturday - winning both games 5-4 in Wales and 4-0 in Cumbria.  It was that Boxing Day that the Bleeding Wolf burnt down

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 12:29:14 AM »

The Great Harwood game was in the run up to the Trophy semi final second leg against Runcorn.  We had drawn 0-0 with the Linnets on the Saturday, and this game was played on the Monday.  Notable for the debuts of Graham Tobin and Larry Garrity.  I remember turning up at The Old Showground and saying "who the hell are they?"  Graham Heathcote scored both goals in a routine 2-0 win.  Garrity made it into the starting 11 at Runcorn the following Saturday for the second leg where a mal Bailey goal took us to Wembley for the first time
'Toby' joined us from a Wythenshawe Sunday league team    he was a friend of a friend , good player but never a regular at ML because of Mal Bailey and John Owens . A legend at Macc after leaving us btw !
 Larry Garrity came from Burscough and despite looking promising in the few games he had for us including the Runcorn 2nd Leg he did'nt make the final team or subs and then....who knows ?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 08:07:59 AM »

He scored a hat trick for Northwich against us in the Cheshire Senior Cup Semi Final Second Replay at Canal Street the following season. 

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 11:19:34 AM »

Thanks MG that’s really helpful. The Bangor game certainly wasn’t a 5-4 I’d have remembered that! I think I might be muddling games up, part of getting old, although I’m sure we played against Gainsborough on a Sunday some years earlier possibly in the league cup.
That’s definitely the Great Harwood game though, cheers.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 01:02:47 PM »

He scored a hat trick for Northwich against us in the Cheshire Senior Cup Semi Final Second Replay at Canal Street the following season.
Bloody hell , don't remember that 😔

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 05:33:37 PM »

Thanks MG that’s really helpful. The Bangor game certainly wasn’t a 5-4 I’d have remembered that! I think I might be muddling games up, part of getting old, although I’m sure we played against Gainsborough on a Sunday some years earlier possibly in the league cup.

I remember that Gainsborough Lge Cup game, 2nd leg semi final following a 0-1 at Northolme. Brian Taylor equalised in the second half, only for Trinity to equalise in the last minute to send us out. 1972 I think?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 05:38:44 PM »

I think you could be right. Always liked 'Bopper'. Didn't he come to us from Rochdale?

PS. Remember him coming into a pub after an away match at Matlock when me and Swindellsworth were having a pint and buying him one.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 05:40:59 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 06:31:21 PM »

So not so mad after all, assuming it was a Sunday. Anyone got a date for it?
Following up from this thread is there scope from an old timers or beginnings of a historical database section?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 07:16:25 PM »

Following up from this thread is there scope from an old timers or beginnings of a historical database section?

Steve,

Here you go:

Tuesday, 8th February 1972

NPL Cup Semi-Final First Leg

Gainsborough Trinity 1  Altrincham 0.

Sunday, 12th March 1972

NPL Cup Semi-Final Second Leg

Altrincham 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

The Robins' goalscorer was Brian Taylor and the attendance was 896.

(Alty had lost 1-0 at South Liverpool on the previous day).

On the following weekend, we played two home league games:

Saturday, 18th March 1972
Altrincham 0 Kirkby Town 0
Attendance: 647.

Sunday, 19th March 1972
Altrincham 1 Boston United 3
An own goal by the visitors and an attendance of 745.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:27:47 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 07:32:44 PM »

Larry's nephew, Michael, made four appearances for Alty during the 2000/01 Unibond Premier League season.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 08:03:07 PM »

Sunday, 19th March 1972

Thanks Cult, seriously amazing that you retain all these stats.
Have to say I have no recall of the following week’s double header, I suspect my dad had decided to keep that quiet, enough being enough!!

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 06:15:33 PM »

I remember that Gainsborough Lge Cup game, 2nd leg semi final following a 0-1 at Northolme. Brian Taylor equalised in the second half, only for Trinity to equalise in the last minute to send us out. 1972 I think?
Never forget that one , the club hired a minibus with around 10 of us on board . The driver got lost and we got there at half time, on the way back we got a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no spare so had to wait for a breakdown truck , eventually got back at around 3am . The hapless driver was called Mike who also owned the business . Not the best away day 🙄

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 12:34:37 PM »

Sunday, 19th March 1972

Thanks Cult, seriously amazing that you retain all these stats.
Have to say I have no recall of the following week’s double header, I suspect my dad had decided to keep that quiet, enough being enough!!

Yes thanks for reminding me I was a glutton for punishment as an 11 year old - I remember that Boston game as well. A vivid memory was the pre-match military brass band music, it must've been the last year as the next season I recall as a ball boy taking the field to K-Tel versions of Status Quo's Mean Girl  and the like.

As a ballboy we used to get changed into our navy blue 'AFC' tracksuits in Jack Thorpe's hut where there was a stash of old 60s home programmes, where we couldn't believe crowds of up to 7,000 a matter of 5 or 6 years previously. What a come down for Noel White and the Board it must've been to be playing in front of less than 700 vs Kirkby Town...

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team