Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pitch  (Read 3795 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 01:39:31 PM »

There is a comprehensive message from Sam on the website

Good to read such a full explanation, also to hear that Dorking fans were looked after.

Anybody else intrigued by "However, we know we have some very big challenges ahead of us, and some potentially tough decisions to make" at the end? Is this a trailer for a ground move?

I'd say it's more a case of every pound we spend off the pitch is a pound less to spend on the team. The problem is that we've got a team which is getting better and better but a stadium that's woefully inadequate for this level and the crowds we now get. If we do manage to get promoted then it's an even more pressing issue. Things have come to a head on this and something has to give.

Credit to the club also for the quick and clear response.

It could also mean taking on some debt to finance the redevelopment of the ground, and gauging what level of finance we would view as being sustainable in the longer term.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 01:44:35 PM »

Interesting how we all have a different take.

My take was we need to make sure we don't end up with too much debt so players may have to be sold on from time to time.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2024, 01:59:16 PM »

I don't like to think of myself as a cold hearted kind of person but I find moving ground something akin to indifference. Moss Lane is full of happy memories and some not so memorable times. They're all in the past and won't be forgotten. However, it's looking forward to the future that counts and if staying put is solely for nostalgia and sentimentality it's for the wrong reasons. If moving is deemed the right thing to do to drive the club onwards and upwards I'm all for it. It won't delete the memory of the JDS/Moss Lane.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 02:46:16 PM by rorysgrandad »

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 02:34:52 PM »

We need a bigger solution than just fixing the pitch.

Trafford Council should have been bending over backwards to bring Sale home, now is the time more than ever with a future football league club in the borough.

The new hybrid turfs that are at old Trafford, Wembley etc. can easily handle the rigours of rugby and football.

Time to get serious about a new home. It's already not going to happen overnight.
Do not disagree if a genuine cost / benefit analysis proves to be positive....otherwise, why should Community Tax payers support private sports clubs ?

Who said the Council fund it? They just need to show some willing to make it happen. They have been the core issue with every attempt that has been made by Sale to both stay (Heywood Road development) and to come back (Fletcher Moss Proposal being the most recent)

The idea behind it being a dual-team venue is how it can be funded... There are Billionaire owners at both teams at this point.

We build a 15,000 seat stadium with two on-site training facilities a la Carrington and Edgerton for both teams. They are available for the community each evening and for schools on schedule in the day.

We've no chance of staying at Moss Lane, we had issues getting locals on board for improved floodlights that reduced the light leak onto their houses. Does anyone honestly think they will stand for major stand builds on their doorstep?

To the out-of-town argument, York moved out of town and gained 1500 new fans...

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2024, 02:54:27 PM »

Trafford Council should have been bending over backwards to bring Sale home, now is the time more than ever with a future football league club in the borough.

The new hybrid turfs that are at old Trafford, Wembley etc. can easily handle the rigours of rugby and football.

Time to get serious about a new home. It's already not going to happen overnight.
Do not disagree if a genuine cost / benefit analysis proves to be positive....otherwise, why should Community Tax payers support private sports clubs ?

Who said the Council fund it? They just need to show some willing to make it happen. They have been the core issue with every attempt that has been made by Sale to both stay (Heywood Road development) and to come back (Fletcher Moss Proposal being the most recent)

The idea behind it being a dual-team venue is how it can be funded... There are Billionaire owners at both teams at this point.

We build a 15,000 seat stadium with two on-site training facilities a la Carrington and Edgerton for both teams. They are available for the community each evening and for schools on schedule in the day.

We've no chance of staying at Moss Lane, we had issues getting locals on board for improved floodlights that reduced the light leak onto their houses. Does anyone honestly think they will stand for major stand builds on their doorstep?

15,000 seater stadium? No thanks. What's the point in the ground being less than 20% full? - having watched the United game, Newport's ground seems a good gauge and that's 7,500 (4,000 average attendance).

For me, the only solution which involved staying at Moss Lane would be gaining the allotment land somehow, turning the pitch and building two new home ends - a 2,000 all-seater main stand along Golf Road with the extra room we'd have, and a 2,000 capacity standing end on the allotment land - thus leaving two sides of the ground exactly how they are to keep short-term cost down.

But that would involve the council playing ball - and it certainly still wouldn't be cheap.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 03:05:55 PM »

That particular solution doesn't solve the problem of the water table being only a few inches below the surface.

As for ground sharing, County fans used to complain that they couldn't play our style of football because the pitch was being churned up by the rugby games. At the time the rugby club held all the aces.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »

Agree with most on this thread. The issues go way beyond the pitch & more that we have a plan to deliver a ground that is fit for a side aspiring to the FL. Moss Lane was fine when for most of the last 30 years we were bumbling round the Unibond/CN getting anywhere between 650-1200 but in the new era it just doesn’t cut it. Whether it’s the inadequate number of toilets, the insufficient legroom & views in many parts of the main stand, the low quality PA system, the poor away facilties. We basically have a Conference play off team with a Conference North/NPL level ground. The board, of course, know all this.

I also agree with others that doing the necessary & staying at Moss Lane would be very difficult. The local NIMBY’s would make the whole process a nightmare. I’ve thought for a little while now that moving may be the best option. Problem is we play in the most expensive part of one of the most expensive cities in the U.K. so whilst I believe Trafford are sympathetic & open to discussion the options will be limited. The retail parks & around Broadheath always strike me as the likeliest possible avenue. Either way in the summer I think the Board need to illuminate us all on their current thinking on this & where we are.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 03:13:07 PM »

It's worth reading the history of how York's stadium came to fruition and it was an extremely painful and expensive journey getting there. They also had the advantage of building on the site of existing stadium along with all the added retail, cinema and community stuff. It's a focal point for the whole city and it's surrounds. There's no way the same could be applied in our case.

I genuinely don't see why we need to do anything mega drastic at our ground such as turning the pitch, buying allotments etc.  A massive can of worms and not just in terms of money. The EFL minimums are achievable and it would be easier and cheaper surely for Trafford to support with upgrading what we have than try something completely new?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 03:19:50 PM by Bob »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »

There is a comprehensive message from Sam on the website

Good to read such a full explanation, also to hear that Dorking fans were looked after.

Anybody else intrigued by "However, we know we have some very big challenges ahead of us, and some potentially tough decisions to make" at the end? Is this a trailer for a ground move?

I'd say it's more a case of every pound we spend off the pitch is a pound less to spend on the team. The problem is that we've got a team which is getting better and better but a stadium that's woefully inadequate for this level and the crowds we now get. If we do manage to get promoted then it's an even more pressing issue. Things have come to a head on this and something has to give.

Credit to the club also for the quick and clear response.

Is it clear?
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 03:41:09 PM »

There's been rumours for a long time about Long Hey, and building a training, lesuire facility and ground on there.

Alternative plenty of land towards Broadheath and Dunham that could be considered.
It's all my fault.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 05:56:26 PM »

The main asset of the club is indeed the players, equally as important, is the pitch. From reading the statement from the acting CEO I am of the opinion that moving Alty FC to another location isn’t an option, let’s hope the weather turns a bit dryer in the next 3 months. The whole country has been soaked in water for the last 6/7 months

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 10:32:31 PM »

I dont think moving to Broadheath or Dunham would be an option. It's mostly National Trust Land.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 12:35:45 AM »

Stadium that holds 15k is way more than likely needed......Morecambe, Accrington, Salford, Harrogate and Barrow all struggle to reach 3k in L2. In L1, Fleetwood, Port Vale and Burton struggle to get 4k.......Do enough improvements to keep ML safe and legal, improve facilities and worry about a new stadium if we looking like advancing to the Championship.

As for getting Trafford on-board, then no idea how we do this. I have complained about the pavements outside the old snooker centre pounding water and decomposed leaves, forcing pedestrians to step into the road on match days, only to be told it still meets their safety criteria.... ::).....when I reminded them that I was talking to the same TMBC who closed our ground due to some crumbly concrete on the terraces....they told me that money was in short supply and that they need to prioritise their spending across many competing issues.....if their dealings with the club are as helpful as their dealings with community tax payers, then we have no chance
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:25 AM »

Maybe more of a possibility with the next Government when you'd like to think the trend in council funding might be reversed...?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 09:57:35 AM »

Maybe more of a possibility with the next Government when you'd like to think the trend in council funding might be reversed...?

Don’t hold your breath
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Pitch