PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking (H)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dorking (H)  (Read 2855 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Dorking (H)
« on: February 04, 2024, 10:22:46 AM »

I can scarcely believe our rotten luck - but the forecast on Tuesday afternoon is atrocious.

The club is going to have to be VERY careful here, with Dorking travelling - the pitch will be playable at 12 noon but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case a few hours later.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dorking (H)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 03:01:00 PM »

May need the covers on the poorer areas

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 03:11:12 PM »

When the ground is redeveloped, will we be able to have a retractable roof?, 🤔

😊😊
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 04:00:13 PM »

Yeah. It would be fine tomorrow night but yet again another very iffy Tuesday forecast. The 4th occasion this game has been scheduled for, it’ll be mortifying for the club & our reputation if we can’t get this on & extremely frustrating for poor Dorking. The fact that we are currently between groundsmen too presumably isn’t going to help.

If we do get it on whilst Dorking are always a decent outfit who play the right way, they invariably concede so I’d expect us to be winning this comfortably in our current run & v strong home record. 3-1 Alty I’d suggest. These Tuesday night attendances ideally will grow too, we can’t be losing about 800 people from a Saturday as standard. Obviously they’ll always be a drop with school kids & people working/exiles but if we are potentially going to be in the EFL next year then the midweek support has to get stronger.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 05:30:00 PM »

nightmare situation when the biggest threat to not  making the play offs is our pitch! Not made any easier by having no full time time groundsman. Lots of pressure on the wonderful volunteer ground staff.

Alty 4-1 Dorking (Linney x 4)
Full time and proud of it

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 05:37:08 PM »

Alty 4-1 Dorking (Linney x 4)

I really hope you're right mate. Once he's done something like that, his confidence would be bolstered immensely. He's so on the cusp of scoring a shedload he just needs a bit of luck!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 08:51:03 AM »

Thankfully the rain has shifted forwards a little bit and is due to stop at 2pm - however there's a hell of a lot of it up until then.

Already absolutely tipping it down here.

The club should have a pretty clear picture on things by lunchtime I would imagine.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 12:57:24 PM »

Any news? I hope we get this right for the Dorking fans and players. If any doubt let's be open with it.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 01:46:51 PM »

TBH today's weather has been pretty average fare for Manchester. Whilst I've been out all morning it's been largely light but incessant rain with heavy bursts. If the pitch and drainage can't handle it we have a major threat to future home games in addition to tonight's fixture.  We will experience many days like today and worse before the season's end. It's just typical of this part of the world.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 01:59:23 PM »

Been mainly drizzle in WA14, if this is off, then we will be playing 3 in a week with the backlog
It's all my fault.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 02:47:30 PM »

The rain appears unable to tell the time as it's still at it here in Timperley well after 2pm. It was never particularly heavy though, and looks to be close to stopping. We should be OK 🤞

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 03:19:04 PM »

Maybe it feels worse for me here because I'm up towards the hills a bit - and I sit in a conservatory so it sounds heavier than it is!

The club sounded fairly confident, so hopefully it doesn't look too bad out there.

With Dorking playing on an artificial pitch, surely heavy conditions against this opposition are to our advantage anyway...

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 03:24:04 PM »

For the most part the rain hasn't been monsoon like, just steady. Given though I don't think it's stopped raining since the clubs last statement, maybe time for an update. You would hope the pitch would be OK and it's forecast to be dry for the game.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 04:05:38 PM »

I just walked over and peered through ML gate, there is standing water, but not as bad as previous game when called off. Not sure why covers were not on. With correct equipment I am sure they can get the game on

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 04:14:40 PM »

I remember one Alty game at a very wet Bradford Park Avenue where balls hoofed up the pitch would just land and stop. Everyone would suddenly realise the ball wasn't going out and there was a mad race to get to it first. Aye - it were a proper man's game when I were a lad
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dorking (H)