PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Chesterfield Match Thread  (Read 6046 times)

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 11:32:20 PM »

Agreed, shows how far Parky and Sorvs have brought the team on to put in a very encouraging performance away at the league leaders. Eddie Jones and Regan Linney in particular were superb, pity we can't get the full 90 minutes from Regan Linney yet.
Hope Ethan Ross recovers soon, Matt Gould did pretty well in goal but Ethan Ross has made a big difference this season overall.

Keep up those levels though and we should be on for a very good rest of season.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 11:56:56 PM »

That was a harsh result, absolutely deserved the draw but that's life.

How good were the Alty fans though! Superb all night, barely a whisper from 6400 homers apart from a drum until they went 2 1 up.

So close to a point.

Up the Alty.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 08:00:19 AM »

High praise from the Chesterfield fans on social media (the best the commentator could manage was that we gave them an 'intriguing game') who said we're the best team to come to them this season.

As much as the other teams have closed in around us, if we play like that for the remainder of the season I think we should be OK for the playoffs.

It's only a matter of time now until Regan finds his shooting boots - the chance he fashioned for himself in the first half I'd back him to put away in a few weeks - and then we really will be something.

4 points from Southend and Dale would be ideal.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 09:18:11 AM »

Agree with the other comments. It didn't feel like a defeat and I was feeling comfortable most of the time against the run away league leaders at their place. It was so good to see where we are compared with a team that is nailed on to win the league.

I thought the pitch had a lot to do with the quality of the football last night. It looked so much better than ours is at the moment. They've obviously had less rain.

I'm hoping Dan will go to Southend and have a point to prove at the weekend.

Next Tuesday we've all got a point to prove because we were pretty poor at Spotland. Nothing less than an emphatic victory required.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 09:43:30 AM »

We do seem to perform better against the top teams.

Full time and proud of it

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 09:43:56 AM »

High praise from the Chesterfield fans on social media (the best the commentator could manage was that we gave them an 'intriguing game') who said we're the best team to come to them this season.

That’s not true. He repeatedly complemented us, in particular that we looked very solid at the back.  He also mentioned we were a threat going forward especially on the break and that we had provided a stern test of their winning home record. He also acknowledged on more than one occasion that our defenders had kept Grieg very quiet all night. Nothing we didn’t deserve but he gave credit where it was due and therefore so am I!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:46:10 AM by Bath Alty »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 09:58:29 AM »

That’s not true. He repeatedly complemented us, in particular that we looked very solid at the back.  He also mentioned we were a threat going forward especially on the break and that we had provided a stern test of their winning home record. He also acknowledged on more than one occasion that our defenders had kept Grieg very quiet all night. Nothing we didn’t deserve but he gave credit where it was due and therefore so am I!

Interesting how we see things differently - all our free kicks were met with 'come off it / he's barely touched him there' etc - and when Berry scored it was 'all their pressure finally paid off'

Happy to acknowledge balanced commentary teams where due - and in fairness he put in more research than most - maybe I'm asking too much!

In fairness give me a sole commentator over a co-commentary team that have forced banter with each other - call me a miserabke git but I'm not interested, just concentrate on the action please!

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 12:27:06 PM »

Well that was a very encouraging performance against a really excellent side. Chesterfield are by far the best team in this league but we battled well even with Ross having to drop out so late on. I think it’s one of those where yes we have lost the match but the performance levels were still there and against any other side in the league we’d have probably picked something up tonight.

Not as important to the playoff push as Saturday might be, I think everyone will probably lose to them but we ran them close and were perhaps unlucky not to pick up a point.

I thought Gould actually did fine overall although I agree with others that Ross might have saved the first one. It’s always tricky for a keeper when they’re not playing every week anyway but to suddenly get thrown in so close to kick off adds an extra dimension to it all.  It does highlight how integral Ross has been to where we are this season, however.

In terms of subs, Linney had a brilliant game…just so dangerous on the ball and creative. His part for our equaliser was superb but I do think he was exhausted so no harm in bringing Angus on at that point who does have it in him. I thought Amaluzor looked a bit off it when he came on and probably didn’t quite have enough time to get into the game. I’m not sure if him not starting is tactical or that he’s carrying a knock?

Anyway, decent performance but Chesterfield are 12 points clear for a reason and found a way again like title winners tend to do.
On point and in full agreement Golf Roader .  The Spireites are a League 1 side in all but name and we went toe to toe with them for the full 90 .  It actually reminded me of the cup games against Pompey and Colchester from that division where we deserved better but conceded to late winners.   As a point of interest i looked up the final League 1 table the season of the latter defeat , 2016 . The line up included SC**thorpe 7th , Rochdale 10th , Southend 14th , Bury 16th , Oldham 17th and Chesterfield 18th and all clear of the bottom four of course . How times change , football ....bloody hell.!

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 12:33:14 PM »

Interesting how we see things differently - all our free kicks were met with 'come off it / he's barely touched him there' etc - and when Berry scored it was 'all their pressure finally paid off'

Happy to acknowledge balanced commentary teams where due - and in fairness he put in more research than most - maybe I'm asking too much!

In fairness give me a sole commentator over a co-commentary team that have forced banter with each other - call me a miserabke git but I'm not interested, just concentrate on the action please!

I didn’t say he was balanced and I disagreed with his view on some ref decisions as you suggest but he did give us credit for playing well / being good team etc which you said he didn’t. He also mentioned “noisy fans” on a couple if occasions once saying we had made as much noise as theirs so overall as good as I’ve heard from a home commentary

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 12:35:17 PM »

Just spotted in the Derbyshire Times one of their defenders had to go to hospital after the game. I wish him well. I think it must have been the clash with Linney. Did anyone see what happened?

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »

Looked like accidental clash of heads and their guys chin seemed to come off worst

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2024, 04:34:03 PM »

Just seen the Chesterfield highlights and Linney was ONSIDE when he scored see video 1.15 onwards. When Jones shot Regan was ONSIDE played on by Grimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-H2Ad4N3A&t=150s

The replay isnt shown on the Alty TV away shorts but on their video you can see he was on.

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 05:32:37 PM »

Oh that’s not even close is it?  Very poor decision that even VAR would have fixed!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2024, 05:57:15 PM »

Just seen the Chesterfield highlights and Linney was ONSIDE when he scored see video 1.15 onwards. When Jones shot Regan was ONSIDE played on by Grimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-H2Ad4N3A&t=150s

The replay isnt shown on the Alty TV away shorts but on their video you can see he was on.

I did think it felt like it was on at the time.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2024, 02:02:42 AM »

He is on!  Piss poor from the liner that……😠
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chesterfield Match Thread