News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First home game and at what game did you buy your first 'Robins Review?'

Author Topic: First home game and at what game did you buy your first 'Robins Review?'  (Read 2467 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

What was your first home game and at what game did you buy your first 'Robins Review?'

My first Home game that really counts was against Accrington Stanley of the Lancashire Combination in the 4th Qualifying Round of the 1974/75 season.  We won 3-0 and that was the day that I was hooked. Next we played Skunthorpe United at the Old Showground in the 1st Round 'Proper'.  Following a creditable 1-1 draw we thrashed them at Moss Lane 3-1.  I did attend a game back in the late 1960s against South Shields but don't remember much about it except that I mithered my Dad to buy me a meat and potato pie that I then proceeded to drop onto the ground as the bulk of the pie fell away and I was left holding a small piece of crust.

My first Robins Review was for the 2nd Round of the FA Cup at home to Gateshead whom we swept away with a 3-0 victory.

Click on thumbnail to see full image.

... and then this happened!

Can you spot the not-so-deliberate mistake on this advertisment from the Robins Review v Wigan Athletic of 28/12/1974?  Incidentally,  I see that a certain Paul Clements was named as substitute in that game for Wigan.

This iconic picture of John Hughes scoring the goal that put us ahead in the tie with Everton appeared on the cover of the Robins Review for the rest of the season and into the next.

By the way,  I haven't dropped a pie since.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: First home game and at what game did you buy your first 'Robins Review?'
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:12:04 PM »

My first game was a 2-2 draw at home against Forest Green on 30 December 2006. Val Owen scored the late equaliser

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 12:29:30 PM »

The first game I remember attending was the FA Cup game at home to Lincoln City in 1988.
Come on Alty!

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 01:09:22 PM »

Scarborough at home. This was just before the Orient game, I recall tickets for that tie going on sale at the scabby game. I did buy a Robins Review at all games back then, but I have never been a collector of things so they will have been binned within days. Somebody out there can probably pinpoint the exact date, and therefore how many days I have borne the fortunes and flops of Alty!

Edit 1.
Blimey, it was Boxing Day 1979! Taken from When we were Kings.

On a wet and windy afternoon, the wretched weather conditions steadily took their toll and the second half gradually died as a spectacle for the crowd of 2,521, which represented Alty’s largest home attendance of the season to date. As the match petered out, queues began to form at the various outlets within Moss Lane where tickets for the forthcoming FA Cup Third Round tie versus Orient were scheduled to go on sale directly after the final whistle of this Boxing Day fixture.

Edit 2.

16087 days.  I really must have better things to do...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:18:23 PM by CRT Butty »

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 01:52:18 PM »

Both first game and progy v Oldham friendly in early 1968 . Lost 1-0 to a Laurie Sheffield goal . Remember some fisticuffs after .
 Took my then 3 year old lad to the above mentioned Scarboro game in 81and he dropped his full M and P pie  exactly as mentioned above 😂.  Not his first game btw that was v South Liverpool when 9 months old !  These threads are great man , keep em rollin 👏

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 01:55:23 PM »

I too was on the top balcony of Evertons newish stand in 75. First time ever using an escalator at a footie match 😀

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 02:36:50 PM »

Both first game and progy v Oldham friendly in early 1968 . Lost 1-0 to a Laurie Sheffield goal . Remember some fisticuffs after .
 Took my then 3 year old lad to the above mentioned Scarboro game in 81and he dropped his full M and P pie  exactly as mentioned above 😂.  Not his first game btw that was v South Liverpool when 9 months old !  These threads are great man , keep em rollin 👏
Scarboro game in 79 of course 🙄

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 03:01:50 PM »

Wrexham at home in the FA cup 1963/64 midweek game,we got the afternoon off school(st Johns) to go and watch the game.Heavy snow and fog.Used to sell the review when i was a bit older and got in for nothing.I had a big collection of Old Programs and mal Baileys wemble shirt,which i gave to Star to sell towards helping the club out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 03:04:00 PM by hsmith1 »
Harold

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 03:37:28 PM »

Scarborough in Nov 65.

PS. Didn't get a programme at the time but Cult gave me one (complete with a Jackie Swindells autograph!) many years later.

PPS. Thanks again, Cult 👍
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 03:58:22 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 10:45:32 PM »

Buxton at home - 06th October 1974 won 5-0 or 5-1, Ian Morris scored 2 that day and John Hughes also got one i think.

Did buy a programme that day but no longer have it. I read them and chuck them out every couple of seasons.

Have been a regular watcher since that day, had a slight lull during 1977 but restored again in 1978, but caught the 77/82 years. Often hampered by having to work some Saturdays, especially during the 80's, but not missed many home games since early 1978 now.

I'm now 66, but was a 17 year old kid, so first game was the day after my 17th birthday. If we have any pictures in our archives from my early years that would be a miracle!!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 03:03:03 PM »

Woking, whatever season was before the year we opened with a 4:3 win vs Rushden & Diamonds.

I think 95/96, I went to Preston in the FA cup the season after as well I think

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 06:57:21 PM »

Horwich RMI in the (4th?) qualifying round that led to the Gateshead and Everton games.  We made it to the Gateshead game and the Everton replay.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 07:26:45 PM »

Horwich RMI in the (4th?) qualifying round that led to the Gateshead and Everton games.  We made it to the Gateshead game and the Everton replay.

Simon,

That 4-0 home victory over Horwich RMI in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round took place on Saturday, 20th October 1973. The goalscorers were Lennie Dickinson, Graham Heathcote, John Owens and Joe Pritchard.

That was actually the season prior to Alty progressing to that unforgettable FA Cup Third Round tie versus Everton.

After overcoming Horwich RMI, we defeated Hartlepool 2-0 at Moss Lane and then bowed out of the competition after two games against Blackburn Rovers.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 08:31:59 PM »

My first game was the 6-0 (!) win against Dagenham in May 1988, the last game of the 87-88 season. I subsequently became a regular at home games by 89-90, so many of my formative memories date from the glorious 90-91 season. Hopefully this season will give us as many wonderful memories as that season did-but Witt the addition of promotion or a Wembley trip at the end.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 01:22:29 AM »

Simon,

That 4-0 home victory over Horwich RMI in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round took place on Saturday, 20th October 1973. The goalscorers were Lennie Dickinson, Graham Heathcote, John Owens and Joe Pritchard.

That was actually the season prior to Alty progressing to that unforgettable FA Cup Third Round tie versus Everton.

After overcoming Horwich RMI, we defeated Hartlepool 2-0 at Moss Lane and then bowed out of the competition after two games against Blackburn Rovers.

Thanks Cult.   My memory is fading but I remember the Horwich game well!  My Dad told such a great story about that game and how we started watching the Robins.  Maybe I can tell it to you over a pint at a pre season game as we are back in Timperley late July into August.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First home game and at what game did you buy your first 'Robins Review?'