PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Have we missed a golden opportunity?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Have we missed a golden opportunity?  (Read 3912 times)

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 09, 2024, 10:12:49 PM »

4th Qual Round Oldham beat Alty
1st Round  Newport knocked out Oldham
2nd Round Newport knocked out Barnet
3rd Round replay - Eastleigh v Newport
Winner plays Man United @ Home.

Could that of been us?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Have we missed a golden opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 10:38:50 PM »

4th Qual Round Oldham beat Alty
1st Round  Newport knocked out Oldham
2nd Round Newport knocked out Barnet
3rd Round replay - Eastleigh v Newport
Winner plays Man United @ Home.

Could that of been us?
Yes....if we had won four ties.

A few more wins and we would be playing Liverpool or Manchester City at Wembley.

To be fair it can happen. I was at the semi final in 97 when David Ellery (ref) robbed Chesterfield a place in the FA Cup Final....a family friend was playing that day and nullified Fabrizio Ravanelli
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:41:54 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 11:08:15 PM »

We deserved to win against Oldham.  We were the best team that day.
Newport are not anything special and struggled to hold on to a draw with 10-men Eastleigh at home in last weekend's 3rd round game.
We went on the rampage against Barnet for 65 minutes last Saturday and were worthy winners.
When we played Eastleigh at theirs earlier on this season their Manager said we were the best team they had played this season.

All in all, I think that we were just missing that element of good luck that you need to see you through from time to time.  Otherwise we were capable of beating all those teams and switching the 4th Round tie to Old Trafford for a 70,000 crowd and a bumper payout.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 12:36:15 AM »

Indeed....take your point.

The magic of the FA cup though is just that....it is all about the 'if onlys'.....hopefully our 3rd round game against Manchester United will be soon and will kick-start big things, albeit I am not sure you are allowed to  switch ties and give up home advantage just to generate more income
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:39:02 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 06:45:22 AM »

I am not sure you are allowed to  switch ties and give up home advantage just to generate more income

Purely suggested to ensure that the demand for tickets from the people of Trafford wanting to witness a rare meeting between the two top teams in the Borough could be met.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 11:07:06 AM »

I am not sure you are allowed to  switch ties and give up home advantage just to generate more income

Purely suggested to ensure that the demand for tickets from the people of Trafford wanting to witness a rare meeting between the two top teams in the Borough could be met.

The police would back that too .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 11:45:15 AM »

We've moved our 3rd round home replays twice (to both Old Trafford and Maine Road) in the past.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 01:01:45 PM »

I'll take a chance at football league over everything at this point.

Happy to have 10 less games in the boys legs for the minuscule chance of drawing a premier league team we get patted on the head by.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 01:08:20 PM »

Happy to have 10 less games in the boys legs for the minuscule chance of drawing a premier league team we get patted on the head by.

I'm absolutely positive that the vast majority of everyone on here agrees with you, Amsterdam! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 04:11:44 PM »

Being pedantic about it, aside from the Newport game (where we were assigned the same ball number as Oldham) I think the numbers would have wound up differently from that point anyway, could be wrong?

Also, the bookies in this country know what they're doing. As winnable as each of those ties seemed, our opponents would have viewed us in exactly the same way (and for Oldham that proved to be well founded) - and our friends the bookmakers would have been happy to give you a VERY generous price for an eventual tie against United.

Also, imagine getting that draw and then going out to Eastleigh instead? It'd be like Halifax all over again.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 04:34:23 PM »

Exactly this ,  Mind you cup runs do bring in the big  bucks of course , we missed out of another chance with the  last minute goal by Pompey with the winners facing our old foes Spurs.  And the glory of course , remember Hereford getting into the FL in 1972 without EVER winning the Southern League title !!!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 04:41:58 PM »

Exactly this ,  Mind you cup runs do bring in the big  bucks of course , we missed out of another chance with the  last minute goal by Pompey with the winners facing our old foes Spurs.  And the glory of course , remember Hereford getting into the FL in 1972 without EVER winning the Southern League title !!!

That was the year of the great souvenir biro fiasco wasn't it? 😏
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:07:21 PM by Saughall Robin »

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 05:13:28 PM »

We've moved our 3rd round home replays twice (to both Old Trafford and Maine Road) in the past.

Here is confirmation of that for you.

Click for full image.

Click for full image.

Click for full image.

Click for full image.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 05:29:33 PM »

Thanks for that but I attended three of the four games. The fourth one at OT, I was forced to swerve due to the birth of my eldest!

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 05:47:32 PM »

Thanks for that but I attended three of the four games. The fourth one at OT, I was forced to swerve due to the birth of my eldest!

I too saw three of the four games also missing the return at Old Trafford.  Different reason though... My Dad wouldn't let me go... School the next day....
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team