PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Kidderminster (FA Trophy) Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kidderminster (FA Trophy) Match Thread  (Read 4917 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Kidderminster (FA Trophy) Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2024, 07:21:04 PM »

We ended up doing so much more potential damage than starting our strongest team ever would have done.

If we do end up the same as Gateshead on Tuesday night and taking a pasting, we just need to trust that the lads will dust themselves off beyond that point.

We do need to stick together now.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2024, 07:57:26 PM »

So disappointed.

That should have been our best 11. Another massive trophy opportunity gone.

As for our pen takers, awful line-up, even though we beat Halifax with the same takers.We need to change our first choice pen taker. Linney or Newby for me.

Linney wasn’t even in the first 5 takers, mental.

After this we best not crumble and show too much respect to Chesterfield. Our best 11 and no sh*tty wingbacks.

Give them a go from the off.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 08:02:15 PM by oneedham »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2024, 10:46:52 PM »

I think Parky has had his priorities set for him.

I saw the team and thought "Yep, we're obviously saving ourselves for Tuesday". This was reinforced by the walking football that was being played at times. We had our chances but didn't take them. We missed the goal several times by a fine margin but also Ethan pulled off some fine saves. The game could have gone either way before we got to penalties.

It could be that finishing third is the target. If we get one playoff game at home anything could happen. If we finish sixth or seventh I really don't fancy our chances.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2024, 07:34:27 AM »

I think Parky has had his priorities set for him.

I saw the team and thought "Yep, we're obviously saving ourselves for Tuesday". This was reinforced by the walking football that was being played at times. We had our chances but didn't take them. We missed the goal several times by a fine margin but also Ethan pulled off some fine saves. The game could have gone either way before we got to penalties.

It could be that finishing third is the target. If we get one playoff game at home anything could happen. If we finish sixth or seventh I really don't fancy our chances.

If we finish in the top 3 both Barnet & Bromley’s form will have to collapse which is unlikely. A more realistic aim should be 4th/5th which at least means a home PO preliminary tie against 6th or 7th before the away semi final down in London.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2024, 10:41:59 AM »

If we dont get something on tuesday then yesterdays rotation was futile
Full time and proud of it

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2024, 10:54:01 AM »

I agree that it will be a waste if we lose but we are going there with more fresh legs than we would have done if we'd put out our strongest team.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »

It was not a near PP master class it was a fkn manager who picked the wrong team and dissed the competition,Kiddy, and also our fans who went.

We could have won that by half time , Kiddy were that poor, then you make the changes…
Absolutely fuming.

Had CCC put that pen away we’d have been talking about how brilliant it was to have rested legs and gone through to the next round. It was enough to get through but if you don’t take your chances when they’re gifted to you that can happen. Chesterfield rested their entire squad yesterday for our match Tuesday and we have 7-8 games this month. I think resting some players was always going to happen.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2024, 12:23:26 PM »

Fair point GolfRoader, think this was exactly Phil and Neil's thinking. It does mean that both teams will have rested players, otherwise they will have had a bigger advantage. Though Chesterfield are a fine attacking side they still have one or two weaknesses occasionally in their defence.  We will see what happens Tuesday.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2024, 01:37:04 PM »

It was not a near PP master class it was a fkn manager who picked the wrong team and dissed the competition,Kiddy, and also our fans who went.

We could have won that by half time , Kiddy were that poor, then you make the changes…
Absolutely fuming.

Had CCC put that pen away we’d have been talking about how brilliant it was to have rested legs and gone through to the next round. It was enough to get through but if you don’t take your chances when they’re gifted to you that can happen. Chesterfield rested their entire squad yesterday for our match Tuesday and we have 7-8 games this month. I think resting some players was always going to happen.

Ifs and buts . … however he missed the pen in normal time and the rest is history.. The game on Tuesday is not a do or die fixture. There are lots of games left to play in the league and whether we win lose or draw v Chesterfield it will not have much affect where we end up in april

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2024, 11:29:36 PM »

That's true, I agree with that, however the results of the 4 games we have over the next 10 or so days collectively might have an impact on where we finish this year. We had enough to win the game yesterday without 4-5 starters but we didn't take our chances that's it. Put it this way, there wasn't one team in the top 7 playing in the trophy that didn't make changes yesterday. We were at an even bigger disadvantage in that we have a game on Tuesday night.

It's not about us now needing a result on Tuesday to justify not going full strength in the trophy, it's about keeping players fit and firing for 2 weeks where we have 5 games in quick succession.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2024, 07:49:19 AM »

Mixed feelings . The last post makes so much sense of the bigger picture and the managers take on the matter which these days includes the majority of managerial trends everywhere re cup footie.   On the other hand yet another season will fly by without tasting the sweetness cup success always brings .  The unforgettable memories of 1978 Trophy and Liverpool , Everton et al are etched into the history of our great club forever yet these are now such distant memories only us older fans can cherish.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2024, 08:51:34 AM »

I think these are valid points - we could lose to Chesterfield  and we might have missed those chances with a full strength team, all ifs and buts that we'll never know.

What concerns me is the psychological manner of the defeat - not least CCC's contribution as the others see him as our marquee man.

Over the next few games we'll undoubtedly see how this team has evolved from last season's - mentally, as much as physically/technically.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2024, 09:47:22 AM »

If we dont get something on tuesday then yesterdays rotation was futile
If we get a point tomorrow it'll be an excellent result. For me you can give that point back for a place in the next round of the Trophy. Still annoyed.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Kidderminster (FA Trophy) Match Thread