News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We Don't seem to Score Headers Anymore

Author Topic: We Don't seem to Score Headers Anymore  (Read 2792 times)

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 07, 2024, 10:53:36 PM »

It struck me on Saturday. Gone are the days of John Rogers or Kenny McKenna who were lethal in the air.
Defenders score the odd goal from corners or free kicks but our strikers very rarely seem to. It isn't a massive problem when we have such talented forwards with the ball at their feet but it would be good to have another weapon in our arsenal. 
The club seem to have noticed this as well, our corners against Barnet were low ones that bounced before reaching the penalty area, one of which we converted of course.
Not a major concern, but worth noting I would say.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: We Don't seem to Score Headers Anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 08:13:06 AM »

We do seem to be very self aware with the way that we take our corners - which is a good thing. We've scored one or two with layoffs, one to Justin Amaluzor (Bromley H?) and we tried one to Elliott on Saturday.

Is Kyle Perry still playing?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 09:41:49 AM »

I agree, we're more imaginative with our corners and they are unpredictable, Barnet nearly got caught out by them. Don't really care how we score, so long as we do. This team is full of imagination and scoring possibilities, looks like we're going to have a 20 goaler this season too. A lot of our goals are work's of art to be honest and if Regan had managed to put that one away from CCC's dribling, we would have had a contender for goal of the season.

Will not be long before Regan is on the mark again, my guess is Kiddy on Saturday.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 01:35:27 PM »

It struck me on Saturday. Gone are the days of John Rogers or Kenny McKenna who were lethal in the air.
Defenders score the odd goal from corners or free kicks but our strikers very rarely seem to. It isn't a massive problem when we have such talented forwards with the ball at their feet but it would be good to have another weapon in our arsenal. 
The club seem to have noticed this as well, our corners against Barnet were low ones that bounced before reaching the penalty area, one of which we converted of course.
Not a major concern, but worth noting I would say.
Those two and Jeff Johnson were all great in the air,unlike Swindells and Worth from a different era ! The brilliant goal by JR at Wycombe in the 1982 Trophy semi springs to mind .
 I think Kyle Perry was our most up to date forward to have success 'up above'.
 Barnet, with their tall strike force, obviously have success with their Luftwaffe tactics, they are very good at it.  Give me our style of play any day of the week.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 01:54:27 PM »

I went to the game on Saturday with John Timmons who was a striker for Alty 86-88 ish. He hadn't been to an Alty game for some 30 years and he kept saying how much the game had changed since his day and how impressed he was with the standard of skill and fitness plus how much both teams actually passed the ball rather than lump it from one end of the field to another.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:08:57 PM »

Good old Timmo ! Going further back a County fan friend of mine told me the standard in National North was better than the old Div 4 in the late sixties.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 04:01:36 PM »

I think CTE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy might play a part in why we don't see them as much, players don't practice them for fear of the long term effects so are less adept at them these days.

I'm not against it though with the increase in quality FOOTball is now being played.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 07:04:07 PM »

It's not so surprising though. The Premiership and Championship are stuffed full of foreign players which means all the home grown talent has to shuffle down the pyramid a bit if they want to be a footballer.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 10:00:54 PM »

I went to the game on Saturday with John Timmons who was a striker for Alty 86-88 ish. He hadn't been to an Alty game for some 30 years and he kept saying how much the game had changed since his day and how impressed he was with the standard of skill and fitness plus how much both teams actually passed the ball rather than lump it from one end of the field to another.

Bald fella, think he was a postman. Didn't we sign him from Macclesfield?

Liked watching him play.

How is he?

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 11:47:30 PM »

He was a great, great striker. One of the best finishers I've seen. I hope he's keeping well.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 12:55:02 PM »

John's looking well. He returned to our walking football session this morning after a while out with a long standing hamstring/back problem. He can still play, head and shoulders above the rest of us duffers   ;D  Lovely bloke too, I try not to hold it against him that he went on to play for Macc (he joined Alty from Hyde). Made his living as a professional gambler.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 01:12:56 PM »

Good player John , liked him a lot , very good at holdup play and shielding the ball from defenders and a good finisher too.  Great to hear he's doing well and managing his injuries keeping active playing walking footie and roulette.👍😉

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 06:08:04 PM »

John's looking well. He returned to our walking football session this morning after a while out with a long standing hamstring/back problem. He can still play, head and shoulders above the rest of us duffers   ;D  Lovely bloke too, I try not to hold it against him that he went on to play for Macc (he joined Alty from Hyde). Made his living as a professional gambler.

Legend
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team