PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boxing Day Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boxing Day Match Thread  (Read 8920 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing Day Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »

That was awful.

Never like us playing wingbacks. Apart from the quality performance away to Gateshead.

Pulling Amaluzor early was bizarre. Surely bringing Kossy off, who was on a yellow and not match fit made more sense.

Amaluzor just needed to be pushed forward when we went to 4 at the back. Our pace and strength was then gone.

Chasing the game with two unfit wingers wasn’t great game management. They were stronger and quicker. We were bullied all game.

Dackers was poor again. He is really lazy. Parky really needs to start Linney, beginning to cost us

Need LB  and CM loans.

Would be nice to find out, how long Donawa, E Jones and J Jones are out for?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2023, 07:58:55 PM »

I believe that Eddy Jones said on Radio Robins this afternoon that his injury is relatively minor and he aims to be back in action in a couple of weeks.

I've heard that James Jones has an injury which requires surgery.

No idea whatsoever regarding Donowa's disappearance. Has he been lost in the Bermuda Triangle...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 08:11:18 PM »

I believe that Eddy Jones said on Radio Robins this afternoon that his injury is relatively minor and he aims to be back in action in a couple of weeks.

I've heard that James Jones has an injury which requires surgery.

No idea whatsoever regarding Donowa's disappearance. Has he been lost in the Bermuda Triangle...?

Cheers

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 08:20:31 PM »

Well, that was abject. Easily our worst performance of the season, to my eyes.

We managed merely three shots on target, and the first of those didn't arrive until the 74th minute. The other two came in additional time.

You just got a sense that the players were not comfortable with whatever system we were set up to play. The absence of two key individuals simply served to illustrate that the depth of our squad was found wanting.

Halifax were sharper, better organised and fully warranted their victory.

I do wonder whether Ross' mobility had been hampered by Michael Cheek clattering him in the ribs during that second half at Bromley. That opening goal looked like rather a soft one to concede and was redolent of some of Byrne's mishaps last season.

Amaluzor looked totally off the pace; Kosylo was fortunate not to be sent off for a dreadful challenge; Conn-Clarke and Newby struggled to impose themselves on the game and Dackers failed to impress, once again (he doesn't merit his starting place, in my view, and it looks as if he might have peaked 14 minutes into his debut).

I think that I would have quietly retired that man of the match award today!

The sole consolation was the attendance of in excess of 3,900 (without the massive away following of a Stockport or Wrexham).

An afternoon to banish from the memory.   

Spot on. Collectively we looked off it. I do feel the long & late trip to Bromley on Saturday night & getting back in the early hours of Sunday morning has taken the legs out of us a bit. They were sharper. You could see the effects of Ross injury for their goals too no doubt, he didn’t & perhaps couldn’t get down quick enough. Overall one to forget, with Osbourne & Roscoe both back from suspension on NYD & their much poorer home record I suspect it will be a different game at the Shay.

Off the pitch the attendance magnificent, 3500 home fans against run of the mill opposition a superb turnout. The main plus. We also did hospitality which was very good-food & service spot on. Club keeps growing but days like today when big numbers are in show the absolute imperative to modernise the ground if we are to move from a 2000 average up to 2,500 then 3k.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »

Two words, proper bobbins.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2023, 09:06:45 PM »

I agree with cult, but a slight correction on the first goal, I don't think he saw much of it and there seemed to be a deflection from the view of the camera.

Brockback looked strong when he came on defensively, which is a positive sign. Wilson also seemed to be better in the middle, in his preferred area of the park. Unlike everyone else who were trying to fit in to a different scheme.

Square peg round holing it rarely works, but injuries are a problem at the moment.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 09:40:19 PM »

Well, that was abject. Easily our worst performance of the season, to my eyes.

We managed merely three shots on target, and the first of those didn't arrive until the 74th minute. The other two came in additional time.

You just got a sense that the players were not comfortable with whatever system we were set up to play. The absence of two key individuals simply served to illustrate that the depth of our squad was found wanting.

Halifax were sharper, better organised and fully warranted their victory.

I do wonder whether Ross' mobility had been hampered by Michael Cheek clattering him in the ribs during that second half at Bromley. That opening goal looked like rather a soft one to concede and was redolent of some of Byrne's mishaps last season.

Amaluzor looked totally off the pace; Kosylo was fortunate not to be sent off for a dreadful challenge; Conn-Clarke and Newby struggled to impose themselves on the game and Dackers failed to impress, once again (he doesn't merit his starting place, in my view, and it looks as if he might have peaked 14 minutes into his debut).

I think that I would have quietly retired that man of the match award today!

The sole consolation was the attendance of in excess of 3,900 (without the massive away following of a Stockport or Wrexham).

An afternoon to banish from the memory.   

Spot on. Collectively we looked off it. I do feel the long & late trip to Bromley on Saturday night & getting back in the early hours of Sunday morning has taken the legs out of us a bit. They were sharper. You could see the effects of Ross injury for their goals too no doubt, he didn’t & perhaps couldn’t get down quick enough. Overall one to forget, with Osbourne & Roscoe both back from suspension on NYD & their much poorer home record I suspect it will be a different game at the Shay.

Off the pitch the attendance magnificent, 3500 home fans against run of the mill opposition a superb turnout. The main plus. We also did hospitality which was very good-food & service spot on. Club keeps growing but days like today when big numbers are in show the absolute imperative to modernise the ground if we are to move from a 2000 average up to 2,500 then 3k.

Checked the record. 10 years ago it was 1171 at home on boxing day. No doubt many thought that was a decent enough gate!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 10:53:58 PM »

If the management had doubts about Brockbank, surely taking a punt on him in his natural position, so that everyone else can play in theirs, would have been more sensible?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 11:14:49 PM »

It was a poor game. I thought the pitch didn't help. Definitely needs to dry out a bit for our style of play.
Justin was like a fish out of water.
Hoping for better on Monday

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 11:30:08 PM »

I don't think that Roscoe is in any way whatsoever an improvement on what was fairly dire today

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2023, 09:58:51 AM »

It was a poor game. I thought the pitch didn't help. Definitely needs to dry out a bit for our style of play.
Justin was like a fish out of water.
Hoping for better on Monday

I felt sorry for Justin. He isn't a left wing back.

Him, CCC and Alex Newby looked all over the shop positionally.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2023, 10:56:16 AM »

If the management had doubts about Brockbank, surely taking a punt on him in his natural position, so that everyone else can play in theirs, would have been more sensible?

For me, this is the most sensible comment on a game I'd rather forget.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »

For me, this is the most sensible comment on a game I'd rather forget.

Agreed.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2023, 12:41:56 PM »

I have to take my hat off and confirm I felt the same way as fans in all of the above comments. However, there is a reason for everything and if you all listen to Phil's summing up of the game yesterday, they are not excuses for the defeat, but they do make me feel a little harsh in my criticism of the team and management yesterday.

Phil speaks of the long journey to Bromley, injuries picked up and also of playing a match with 10 men for the majority of the game, then a long journey home, arriving in the early hours. I'm not surprised there was very little left in the tank, the team did not have time to rebuild after that game, and Elliott was still carrying the blow to his ribs from Michael the Cheek.

I think we should just lay off them, put it behind us and go again on New Year's Day, and appreciate what a good speaker Phil is. I never saw things that way yesterday, but Phil is closer to the team than we are, knows his players well, and is vastly more experienced than we are. The points he made in his interview never crossed my mind during the game. He does support his team well, and I like the way we will still chanted for them and applauded them after the game. That alone could turn New Years Day into a win.

Don't be too disheartened by yesterday's result.

AussieShaymen

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »

I have to take my hat off and confirm I felt the same way as fans in all of the above comments. However, there is a reason for everything and if you all listen to Phil's summing up of the game yesterday, they are not excuses for the defeat, but they do make me feel a little harsh in my criticism of the team and management yesterday.

Phil speaks of the long journey to Bromley, injuries picked up and also of playing a match with 10 men for the majority of the game, then a long journey home, arriving in the early hours. I'm not surprised there was very little left in the tank, the team did not have time to rebuild after that game, and Elliott was still carrying the blow to his ribs from Michael the Cheek.

I think we should just lay off them, put it behind us and go again on New Year's Day, and appreciate what a good speaker Phil is. I never saw things that way yesterday, but Phil is closer to the team than we are, knows his players well, and is vastly more experienced than we are. The points he made in his interview never crossed my mind during the game. He does support his team well, and I like the way we will still chanted for them and applauded them after the game. That alone could turn New Years Day into a win.

Don't be too disheartened by yesterday's result.

As a Halifax fan, I thought the interview came off as slightly bitter. I don't want gushing praise from an opposing manager, but I do feel that interview will be shown to the Halifax players and manager and used as ammunition in the new years day game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boxing Day Match Thread