PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dan Mooney Leaves Southend
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dan Mooney Leaves Southend  (Read 12195 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Mooney Leaves Southend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2023, 06:43:11 PM »

Mooney despite being left footed only plays on the right a bit like Amaluzor, I cant see him getting in front of Amaluzor and doubt either fancy playing on the left.Newby if its an option would be ideal, hes been good  enough without being spectaculor

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2023, 06:53:17 PM »

Newby if its an option would be ideal, he's been good  enough without being spectacular.

😊 A bit of a back-handed compliment perhaps but I know what you mean. We don't seem to have had any update on Newbys loan.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2023, 10:15:41 PM »

At the end of the day it's not a reflection on those that do turn up. It's just a wish that there should be more. Who wouldn't want to play in front of higher level  crowds if they could?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2023, 10:55:00 PM »

I can't forget that it was Dan Mooney's goal that put us in this league in the first place. The squad is strong with or without him, but with him would it be stronger than it is now? If we cannot keep Alex Newby, it may be worth a shot, but I am really happy with Justin Amaluzor.

Think it more likely he will get a gig at Rochdale or Oldham, but we will see, Scored twelve for us last time he played for us, if I remember rightly and was our top scorer at the time.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 08:42:05 AM »

He was an incredibly frustrating player on his day - free kicks getting ballooned over the stand, failing to lay the ball off to his team mates etc - but he was always in the action and that could possibly be a good foil for the other players around him. If we think we know how to manage his injury issues, it's worth a shot on a short term deal - but he'd probably get a better one elsewhere.

Alex Newby is an interesting one - how ambitious are we? He's been good not excellent, he could improve.. but that position could be taken by somebody else at the end of the season and other clubs have the likes of Tyrese Sinclair, Millenic Alli - both of whom would be upgrades. It's just how ambitious we plan to be.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »

He didn’t take much persuasion to go to Southend and he hasn’t exactly set them alight, plus he has glass bones.  I’m sure PP has other  fish to fry.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »

I thought one of his best performances at Moss Lane was for Southend last season when he played in the centre behind the front two I think? He's got ability no doubt, the trouble is end product - the very definition of a luxury player.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »

I thought one of his best performances at Moss Lane was for Southend last season when he played in the centre behind the front two I think? He's got ability no doubt, the trouble is end product - the very definition of a luxury player.

13 goals and 8 assists in his last season for us. I'd be delighted if any of our current wide players matches that.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2023, 11:01:15 AM »

Get prepared for delight. I think Amaluzor is on track! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »

Really liked him here and did'nt he train with us for a while pre season so possibly still popular within the club. However , factoring in his injury absenses ,  it's a no from me unless Newby returns to Colchester  or we can't get a quality loanee in that position (very likely we can) . At most offer him a half season deal until ,hopefully , Crankshaw returns.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2023, 05:30:52 PM »

Get prepared for delight. I think Amaluzor is on track! 😉

Exactly - Justin Amaluzor will either match that or certainly come very close - figures-wise, our system is an absolute dream for any decent wide forward.

If our ambition allows us to sign someone like the aforementioned Sinclair, Alli, the lad Hayes from Fleetwood that Rochdale had, I'd rather hold the budget and go bigger in the summer.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2023, 10:15:03 AM »

dont forget we do have another winger,though out long term
Harold

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2023, 02:35:56 PM »

I thought about that crowd comment. I dunno how I feel about that sort of comment coming from an ex-player at all. In fact, I have nothing against any recent ex-players apart from him and Mullarky. That says something.

It will take some humility to do an interview with Alty TV and back track those comments.

IF he is on his way back.
I think I'm right in saying that the comment about DM wanting to play in front of bigger crowds was something PP said rather than Mooney himself. In which case, I don't think it should be held against him.
He said it, in an interview with Echo News - https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/20262370.size-club-led-dan-mooney-choosing-southend-united/

He chased success rather than committing to it. It was never a good sign to be honest, especially when all the warning signs were already there at Southend.

Tbh, I even get Mullarky playing relegation team roulette in League 2 over Mooney's switch.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2023, 03:08:36 PM »

Southend are obviously a big club and I suppose it looked as if they'd turned the corner on their off-field issues at the time (much like Oldham around now) - but they very quickly unravelled again.

He possibly could have waited to see if another local team came in - I suspect that's why Toby ended up at Rochdale first and not Grimsby - but if they've offered to double his wages, I don't begrudge him that.

On the interview, he didn't say anything you wouldn't be expecting him to say in that type of situation - if we were to decline his return, it certainly shouldn't be because of that.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2023, 04:19:13 PM »

I thought about that crowd comment. I dunno how I feel about that sort of comment coming from an ex-player at all. In fact, I have nothing against any recent ex-players apart from him and Mullarky. That says something.

It will take some humility to do an interview with Alty TV and back track those comments.

IF he is on his way back.
I think I'm right in saying that the comment about DM wanting to play in front of bigger crowds was something PP said rather than Mooney himself. In which case, I don't think it should be held against him.
He said it, in an interview with Echo News - https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/20262370.size-club-led-dan-mooney-choosing-southend-united/

He chased success rather than committing to it. It was never a good sign to be honest, especially when all the warning signs were already there at Southend.

Tbh, I even get Mullarky playing relegation team roulette in League 2 over Mooney's switch.

Fair enough.

His reasons for wanting to play for Southend there seem fair enough to me and I certainly don't think he said anything that's in any way derogatory towards Alty. So to suggest he'd need to go on Alty TV and do some sort of mea culpa if he did sign for us again is a bit much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dan Mooney Leaves Southend