News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Info on Gareth

Author Topic: Info on Gareth  (Read 2734 times)

tinnyalty

Info on Gareth
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:59:41 AM »

Quality midfielder who passes his way into the Premiership.
Born: Manchester, UK
Signed for £600,000 in a pair with Ashley Westwood from Crewe by Paul Jewell in the 1998 summer of sanity.
A regular in the promotion side of 1998/1999 but in and out of the side after that.
Left for Lennie Lawrence's up-and-coming Cardiff team in 2002.
Shimmied off back to Jewell at his Wigan army.
Paul Jewell slapped down £600,000 on the table at Gresty Road and took back to Valley Parade the most unfeasibly blue-eyed midfielder you'd ever seen. Totally, totally, completely one-footed; didn't like to tackle; didn't like to head. What exactly had Jewell seen in him that had failed to impress Liverpool in a trial period. One thing. Passing. Awesome. Unbelievably accurate passing. The best passer the Bantams had ever seen.

Think back to that promotion season. How many times were Beags, Robbie, Thunderthighs and Jamie released with a ball that bisected two defenders exactly to set them on their way through? Many, that's how many. He didn't need to tackle. He didn't need to head. He didn't need to use his right foot. His left did everything. And perfectly. Stuart did all the tough work: tackling, regaining possession, battling for the ball, but when it needed distributing, he'd lay it off to jug-eared Gareth, whose vision would set us off on yet another counter-attack. And won himself Players' Player of the Year that year while he was at it. It was joked that if we took the silky skills and vision of Gareth and combined it with the physique and strength of Darren Moore, we'd have had the perfect footballer. He was even the most well-turned out footballer we had at the time. Impeccable hair, shirt tucked in, never got dirty -- what more could you ask for?

Even in the disappointing years that followed the promotion season, he and Robbie Blake were the two clever players that Beni could understand and play well with (in the unlikely event they were all fit at once!), rather than the ten muppets he usually hadn't a clue what he was going to do next. A Friday night game sticks in the memory in the old Division One against Gillingham, where Gareth, Robbie and Beni's 'triangles' and vision absolutely ripped apart the visitors with such ease and vigour that it should have had an '18' certificate. Their play was so exceptional and free-flowing; just doing it naturally without having to even think that they even inadvertently set up the visitors single goal with probably the best piece of football I have ever seen from a Bradford City team; numerous Blake, Carbone and Whalley passes before a Beni cross resulted in a Jamie Lawrence volley from all of five inches that the keeper managed to save with, I believe, his face and the rebound going straight up the other end for Marlon King to finish!

Signed by Crewe on the Dario Gradi wonderkid production line in 1992, he made over 170 appearances for Crewe in almost exactly 6 years at the club before signing for City. A two-week trial at Anfield was mixed in there with not quite enough being done to impress them into signing him. One suspects this is where Paul Jewell heard about him and immediately checked him out, bringing him and Ashley Westwood in from Gresty Road at the same time. He played for the Bantams 99 times and nicked 3 goals (one off his knee, one from on the line at Bristol City and a scuffed curler against Watford in the Premiership) before being shipped back out to Crewe on loan around the time of our first administration. He was unaffordable to us after that as I'm sure we'd have done our level best to keep him, but unfortunately pastures new beckoned and he left for Lennie Lawrence's up-and-coming Cardiff team in 2002. He has since been signed by Paul Jewell again! For Wigan, this time.

You may not have noticed him but we'd never have got to the Premiership without his abilities. A classy player we should never forget.

THATS FROM THE BRADFORD CITY WEBSITE

Jenga

Re: Info on Gareth
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »

I forwarded this information to a colleague of mine at work as he is a Cadiff City supporter, this was his reply to me.

"That sums him up well.  Pretty boy midfield player, quite classy, never breaks into a sweat .  Don’t know about you but I’d rather have someone with a bit of skill than a headless chicken midfielder who runs all day to little effect.  Good signing I reckon."

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »

He's left footed.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »

Good to see we have another ooption for right back then!!!!

seriously..welcome Gareth...well done the 'cote..sounds like something to get really excited about.

thegazelle

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »

sounds like this whalley chap is the son of heathcote cant ever remember our graham making many tackles but it it took was one pass and boy could he do that.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:27:02 PM »

Info from my Swindon town pal;

"He's a yesbut, as in when people ask is he a good player you go "Yes, but...". To be honest we didn't see that much of him at Swindon because he was injured for a good while then when he came back was out of favour with both Wise and Sturrock. He definitely has the quality, the passing, the positional sense etc but certainly latterly he's looked a bit lightweight for my tastes - too easily dispossessed etc. Although to be fair, I've not seen him in that many games for about 18 months and thinking about it, it may be that I'm basing that opinion on when he was coming back from injury, so understandably would be shy about challenging/facing down challenges etc.

Most Town fans despise him I'm afraid for his determination to sit out his contract despite being told right from the start by Sturrock that he wasn't needed. Ultimately, I'd say he was a disappointment for us - I had quite high hopes of him when he signed, having seen him play against us for Wigan (I think), but he never quite delivered on the promise. For you lot, I reckon he'll be classy at that level but I'd worry about the lightweightness/physicality stuff.

Blimey, I never knew I cared that much about Gareth Whalley!"

Is he Bowler in disguise?

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:33:18 PM »

Why don't we just set him up for a fall before he's even kicked a ball in an Alty shirt....

???

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »

Gareth Whalley played at Moss Lane back on 22nd November 1995, when Alty met Crewe in an FA Cup First Round tie.

Crewe won easily by two goals to nil and their team that night also included the likes of Danny Murphy, Neil Lennon and Robbie Savage.

Alty's team contained Soner Zumrutel.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

sounds like this whalley chap is the son of heathcote cant ever remember our graham making many tackles but it it took was one pass and boy could he do that.

George Heslop assures me that he did witness Graham Heathcote scoring with a header at Netherfield....but, frankly, I will not be convinced until I see the video evidence....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:41 PM »

Why don't we just set him up for a fall before he's even kicked a ball in an Alty shirt....

???

I asked a Swindon Town fan what he thought of our new signing and I've cut and pasted his email to me - what's wrong in that?

Why can't we put posts on an Altrincham FC messageboard about Altrincham FC players?

Not my words in the quote from my Swindon friend but his - his honest opinion about the player, should I only paste if he'd said he was the best player they'd ever signed and they shouldn't have released him?  He says he should be "classy at our level" sounds like praise to me?l

Alty365

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »

It was the "Bowler in disguise" bit that I was referring to.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Info on Gareth