PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rochdale Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rochdale Match Thread  (Read 18629 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2023, 10:06:40 PM »

Poor tonight, they wanted it more. Not sure why we persist with Gez, he's poor in my eyes. Subs that came on were poor also. Need a response on Saturday.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2023, 10:09:04 PM »

Other than the penalty I don't think the 'Dale keeper had much to do all night. Rochdale were solid defensively and took their chances well. Similar to the Eastleigh defeat, we had a lot of possession and naff all end product. When it gets to the forwards it is usually slow, ponderous and over elaborate. Basically no threat against well set defences. Rochdale saw our goal only a few times and bang, bang, goals and that's it, game won.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2023, 10:13:31 PM »

Of all the teams against whom to offer up such an abject performance. That was unforgiveably substandard.

That's Rochdale's first clean sheet since August.

Sithole looked totally out of his depth. Why on earth wasn't he withdrawn at half-time?

Newby was utterly lightweight and Amaluzor was equally ineffective (he appeared to give the ball away in the build-up to Rochdale's opening goal, but the unreliable and stuttering stream made the first half difficult to follow).

Some woeful defending for their goals, too.

I have to say that I didn't think it was a penalty. Conn-Clarke duly lost out to the keeper's mind games though.

We are trying to walk the ball into the net and what's with all of these entirely unproductive short corners?

The solitary consolation was that Kosylo got a few minutes under his belt.

The last two matches have been a reality check.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2023, 10:16:02 PM »

Of all the teams against whom to offer up such an abject performance. That was unforgiveably substandard.

That's Rochdale's first clean sheet since August.

Sithole looked totally out of his depth. Why on earth wasn't he withdrawn at half-time?

Newby was utterly lightweight and Amaluzor was equally ineffective (he appeared to give the ball away in the build-up to Rochdale's opening goal, but the unreliable and stuttering stream made the first half difficult to follow).

Some woeful defending for their goals, too.

I have to say that I didn't think it was a penalty. Conn-Clarke duly lost out to the keeper's mind games though.

We are trying to walk the ball into the net and what's with all of these entirely unproductive short corners?

The solitary consolation was that Kosylo got a few minutes under his belt.

The last two matches have been a reality check.
Good summary Cult.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 10:55:11 PM »

Shambles from start to finish. How does a full time team arrive late to ground 20 miles away.

Why he started with Sithole is anybodys guess.

How did Con-Clarke miss the follow up to his piss poor pen?

Out played from 1 to 11  for 90 mins.

Only positive is we surly won't be signing Newby on a permanent.

Onwards and upwards

Full time and proud of it

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2023, 10:57:10 PM »

Cult’s summary probably rubber stamped by the perfectly disguised set piece we executed to allow our right sided player to cross into the six yard box, except they were left footed and had to cut back.

Who on earth rubber stamped that one?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2023, 11:21:31 PM »

I'd have pulled Justin at half time. He didn't seem to be able to control the ball tonight.

Didn't give Linney any chance to make a difference

All round poor performance. Glad it didn't cost me £24. £19 was bad enough.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2023, 11:37:51 PM »

I called for a change up top, but it was a bad call on that performance by Sithole.

We need to somehow speed up Linney's return to match fitness. He is our main man and we need him now. Hopefully he is putting extra sessions in.

That was a really poor performance, first 25 mins was embarrassing.

Having wingers that cut in makes the edge of the box congested. Amaluzor would be better on the left, take people on the outside, would open up the middle. We do all these fancy edge of the box passing, but it hardly ever penetrates defences. We run out of ideas and lose the ball.

We really need players down the wings, putting balls across the face of the goal, with more than one player in the 6 yard box.CCC was often in a wide position, picking up the ball, as we didn't have any ideas. His penalty technique is now known, no idea why it took him so long to react to the save.

Need to start Donawa at RB. Baines and Cooper were so slow at everything tonight. Worst game I have seen Ethan have, we looked tired and low in confidence.

Our set pieces all night were crap, like they so often are. Rochdale were a small team, should have been balls into the box and attacked.

Their 18 year old from Fleetwood was very good.

Would like to.see James Jomes ( for Cooper ) Linney and Donawa start on Sat.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2023, 12:03:44 AM »

CCC's penalty was dreadful. Can we please give the job to somebody who can just put their laces through the ball, instead of performing a weird dance routine before scuffing it?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2023, 07:56:08 AM »

CCC's penalty was dreadful. Can we please give the job to somebody who can just put their laces through the ball, instead of performing a weird dance routine before scuffing it?

Poor penalty as it was (and the follow up) but you can't complain about his conversion rate from the spot
Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2023, 07:58:50 AM »

Rochdale do have a good young side (begrudgingly) and I'd be surprised if they weren't in the playoff picture come the end of the season. They recruited well in midfield with Clayton, Gilmour and East - with Cian Hayes from Fleetwood another great addition and Nevett in defence has a bright future.

That said, I watched what turned out to be our best spell (that led up to our penalty) and they seemed happy to let us have it. We weren't moving the ball quick enough, which just encouraged them to press further forward with every pass. Just like the Bromley game at home.

It was a soft pen and I did think he needed to mix it up given he'd gone the same way with a lot of recent pens. I know his young lad's unwell so I hope he's OK.

Not sure why some have clamoured for Sithole up front (the 'James Hardy effect') - even before today he looked well short of the standard required.

Perhaps the three at the back system would have helped to mask the performance a bit like it did at Oldham, especially given players like James Jones are losing sharpness each week.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 08:10:52 AM by MarpleAlty »

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »

Work commitments meant that I was unable to go last night but having reminded myself of the shambolic injustice when Rochdale kept us out of the football league, I'm glad I didn't pay the scandalous £24 to watch what was, but all account, a very poor Alty performance.

I think that our league position maybe flatters us a bit and now teams around us are starting to show a bit of form, I'm less sure of where we will end up at he end of the season - I'd be delighted with a play-off stop.

No use crying though, and a big response is needed this weekend to galvanise and bring back a bit of confidence to the squad.  Onwards.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2023, 08:49:09 AM »

As Cult has said, that was a reality check for us.
They put us in our place and gave us a big question to answer.
Namely have we got what it takes to stay in the play off spots?
Imho, the next few games will surely provide the answer. We're still where we want to be but we've really got to fight now if we're going to stay there.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2023, 09:14:00 AM »

Not much to add really as what's been said pretty much sums it all up.  What i will say is that the support from the Alty faithful was tremendous , outsinging the home fans all night and even at the end of a game that had few positives . Brilliant effort and deserving of a better response on the pitch .

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2023, 03:26:31 PM »

We definitely need to change the way we play when it’s obvious that plan A isn’t working.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rochdale Match Thread