PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Southend Match Thread  (Read 12535 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southend Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2023, 02:39:15 PM »

While on the subject of referees, I thought the one yesterday was the best we have had this season. None of Alty's players were booked or sent off, and to my knowledge neither were Southend's players. Yes there was some discreet pushes, but the referee seemed to feel there were two disciplined and well-drilled teams and therefore let the game flow, and the players to just get on with it.

There were the minimum of stops and interruptions and this made the game very enjoyable for both sets of fans. All in all, a good day for everybody but well done to the officials for letting the game flow with minimal interruptions.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »

Great game by two good teams.Agree with all the above.
Yes, ref should have paused after the bugler had finished to avoid confusion....although it was announced that there would be a minute of silence.It was then thoroughly respected once people realised....although people should have stood still.

All in all the whole day a great advert for Altrincham FC and NL football
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 03:46:18 PM »

Getting very positive at the moment despite myself. 😊
If we can get favourable results over the next five games, (say 8+) who knows what it could lead to.
This period up to Christmas is crucial.
Come on you Supers 👍 🇦🇹 🏆 🥇
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2023, 04:23:07 PM »

Highlights are up on Alty TV. Seeing Donawa's goal again, must give some recognition to Regan for his flying leap over the ball to avoid blocking the shot. Quite probably bamboozled the keeper while he was at it.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2023, 05:22:01 PM »

An excellent team performance for the whole 90 minutes. Very enjoyable with multiple options for MOM. The difference between the two good teams was that we had an end product, particularly in the second half, following some very slick passing. My recollection was that their keeper was far busier than Ethan and we could easily have had four, and whilst this may have looked harsh on Southend, comparing possession, I think we deserved it.

Well done and thank you.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »

An extremely gratifying afternoon and a statement victory over a strong Southend United side.

The sort of solid all-round team performance that a manager must dream about. In particular, Marriott and Osborne really caught the eye and a word of praise for the calm and consistently reliable Lewis Baines (another exceptional block from him during a Southend attack early in the first half).

Ross once again proved why he has been such an invaluable acquisition. The back four just seem far more confident with his presence in goal, as opposed to our manifest defensive fragility last season.

Credit is due both to Southend for their approach to the game and the officials who also contributed to the occasion.

I hope that some of the drainage issues regarding that area of the pitch directly in front of the main stand can be resolved and I trust that the scoreboard operator has recovered from their second-half nervous breakdown.

The day was topped off nicely when Bill Waterson was kind enough to bring the great Tony Sanders into the CSH after the match in order for some of us to enjoy an extended chat with him.

What a remarkable character he is. Almost 86 and as sharp as one of our Chief Executive's suits. It was an absolute pleasure to see him back at Moss Lane after all these years. Now we just need to commission a statue of him....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2023, 08:25:15 PM »

A small point in the scheme of things. What's happened to Alty TV? It seems that it is no longer in HD. In fact, definitely LD.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2023, 08:38:24 PM »

What a remarkable character he is. Almost 86 and as sharp as one of our Chief Executive's suits. It was an absolute pleasure to see him back at Moss Lane after all these years. Now we just need to commission a statue of him....

The first time I spoke to him was, along with Swindellsworth at the back of the stand at Ashton United in the 70s. He obviously wasn't our manager at that point but we both thought what a great, and approachable, guy he was.
Happy days.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2023, 09:09:49 PM »

A small point in the scheme of things. What's happened to Alty TV? It seems that it is no longer in HD. In fact, definitely LD.

Thanks for the feedback on this. We've recently switched to the TNT owned camera as main cam as my trusty old JVC (Alty TV cam) can no longer send out a stable output to the NLTV stream (a very loose HDMI out). You might notice a much better quality picture when the edit switches back to camera 2 (using the JVC) on the Southend video. I'll try to make a few more tweaks to the TNT camera and if this doesn't work we'll revert to a dedicated single camera edit using the Alty TV camera only for highlights and leave the NLTV feed on the TNT camera.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2023, 09:12:13 PM »

What a brilliant appointment by Noel White & co to move Tony up after Roy Rees left us . His great side should have taken us into the FL of course , we all know the story.
  As a strange aside  i saw a number of Skem programmes when he was there and they all had him down as Tony SAUNDERS ! No wonder he left .

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2023, 09:33:19 PM »

What a brilliant appointment by Noel White & co to move Tony up after Roy Rees left us . His great side should have taken us into the FL of course , we all know the story.
  As a strange aside  i saw a number of Skem programmes when he was there and they all had him down as Tony SAUNDERS ! No wonder he left .

Do you remember the Ashton chat with Tony mate?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2023, 09:40:18 PM »

Once the ref showed himself to be even in his allowing of rougher play I thought the game stepped up a notch to become one of the most exciting games I've seen in a while.

It really is good to have a ref that we can say good things about, I hope the Southend fans think the same.

I loved to see our bench yesterday. Regan looks like he's got a couple of injury pounds to drop but nothing another week or so of training won't fix. I can see Sitole getting a start in the next game based on the comments from Phil in his post-match interview.

10 in a row with two very middling-form teams to come before we get a real test of our Playoff potential with Solihull & Chesterfield back to back.

Chesterfield now TBA due to them being in FA Cup action that weekend so the first half of our December still up in the air with the Trophy draw to come to. Dorking at home needs rearranging before Xmas too I’d have thought.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »

I couldn't go on Saturday, which is a real shame as it looks as if I missed a brilliant one, obviously in terms of result but also the quality on show.

The ground staff are working miracles with the pitch, I just hope it gets the chance to dry out a bit as it does look heavy and sticky - credit to both sets of players for being able to play some good football despite this.

Hopefully Regan is ready for a start soon, but as suggested it might be one more week on the bench. It looks as if we're playing Eastleigh at the right sort of time form-wise, but given the length of trip I'd be happy enough to keep the unbeaten run going with another point.

4 point cushion in the playoffs, and a game in hand - who would have thought it? - I'm sure there's a spell of poor form around the corner somewhere, but it definitely doesn't feel like we'd suffer the same slides down the table that we've been used to previously. Or at least let's hope not.

It'll be a real show of our ambition to see whether we freshen a few places up with loans in January, although I do feel that we've stretched the budget quite a bit already.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2023, 10:05:29 AM »

I couldn't go on Saturday, which is a real shame as it looks as if I missed a brilliant one, obviously in terms of result but also the quality on show.

The ground staff are working miracles with the pitch, I just hope it gets the chance to dry out a bit as it does look heavy and sticky - credit to both sets of players for being able to play some good football despite this.

Hopefully Regan is ready for a start soon, but as suggested it might be one more week on the bench. It looks as if we're playing Eastleigh at the right sort of time form-wise, but given the length of trip I'd be happy enough to keep the unbeaten run going with another point.

4 point cushion in the playoffs, and a game in hand - who would have thought it? - I'm sure there's a spell of poor form around the corner somewhere, but it definitely doesn't feel like we'd suffer the same slides down the table that we've been used to previously. Or at least let's hope not.

It'll be a real show of our ambition to see whether we freshen a few places up with loans in January, although I do feel that we've stretched the budget quite a bit already.
Annoyingly i missed the match too ! I absolutely agree with the above word for word 👌

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2023, 10:12:54 AM »

Do you remember the Ashton chat with Tony mate?
I do mate . It was the Ashton v Hyde cup game , replay i think and we were there to 'spy' on our next round opposition . Tony was Roy's assistant and doing likewise . Lovely fella . It was 1972, the Notts County year 😉
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southend Match Thread