PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mike Williamson
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mike Williamson  (Read 7158 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Williamson
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »

Been in charge at ‘Heed for 4 years & has his stamp all over that club. I see they’ve promoted from within with Rob Elliot for continuity (and doubtless to save a few ££, though presumably they must have got a few quid off MK Dons). I strongly suspect they’ll fall back a bit now, wonder if Williamson will be back in Jan for the odd player too.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2023, 11:05:35 PM »

Been in charge at ‘Heed for 4 years & has his stamp all over that club. I see they’ve promoted from within with Rob Elliot for continuity (and doubtless to save a few ££, though presumably they must have got a few quid off MK Dons). I strongly suspect they’ll fall back a bit now, wonder if Williamson will be back in Jan for the odd player too.

Hopefully none of our lot after he saw our team pull his apart!!!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »

Based on the fact that most people think they'll naturally fall back, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they continue to go strong - they're a well-run club (compared to days gone by) and it also wouldn't surprise me if they had a robust continuity plan in place in the same way I hope we will.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them run with the caretakers, and not necessarily for cost-cutting reasons either - but then again, I could be wrong (as I often am!)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 10:43:59 AM »

I would have thought that the 'caretaker' had already been lined up as a probable replacement being ex-Toon like Williamson and trained to operate in the same way. But time will tell.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »

He must like working in grim places.

Averaging attendances of 6,000 in a 30,000 all-seater stadium must feel so bloody desolate.

As you say, he must enjoy the experience.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2023, 12:21:45 PM »

I'd have thought he saw it as somewhere he could make an impact in the short to medium term to continue to build his reputation with an eye to moving up in the future. (Middlesbrough, Sunderland perhaps?)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2023, 01:33:09 PM »

He must like working in grim places.

Averaging attendances of 6,000 in a 30,000 all-seater stadium must feel so bloody desolate.

As you say, he must enjoy the experience.

So the stadium is 20% full - which is twice as good as Gateshead which holds nearly 12,000 but regularly sees gates struggle to top 1,000.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2023, 01:43:15 PM »

I'd have thought he saw it as somewhere he could make an impact in the short to medium term to continue to build his reputation with an eye to moving up in the future. (Middlesbrough, Sunderland perhaps?)

You're absolutely right, by the way - putting my tongue-in-cheek comments aside, he'll see them as a level down from where we know they can operate, and if he does what he did for Gateshead he'll be in the position to step further up the pyramid again. So yeah, snarky comments aside he's probably chosen shrewdly. Some of his Gateshead players will be able to do a job for them too.

They're 6 points off the playoffs - 7 from automatic - so it's not like their season's over.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 01:45:50 PM by MarpleAlty »
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mike Williamson